Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2003 5:42:06 AM EDT
I am getting the class 3 bug. I have noticed that Reising SMGs are so much cheaper than many of the others like he M3 grease gun, Sten, etc.
Is there a reason for this?
Are they junk? Do they have problems? Or is it simply a demand thing?
Thanx.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm trying to sell one for a buddy.  The biggest problem with Reisings is mags.  Reising mags are extremely hard to find.  IF you can find mags, they're at least $125 each for a 20rd and that was a while ago.  I'm pretty sure they're getting closer to the $150-175 range by now (again, thats IF you can find mags to buy).  Most guns only come with one or two mags though.  $3k seems to be about the going rate for one with 1-2 mags; about the same as a good Sten.

Sorry for the cheap plug, but here's the one my friend is trying to sell (with 8 mags total and spares!).

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=118&t=178099
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The Reising gun was adopted by the Marines early in WWII, and was used on Guadalcanal.

In Marine combat use it was a miserable failure.
Problems were a poor blue finish that rusted in minutes in the humid tropics, a wire folding stock that would collapse in use, and a low magazine capacity.  Choices were a 20 round magazine, or a ridiculous 12 round magazine.

The biggest problem was that the weapon jammed badly.  This was caused by dirt and fouling collecting in the locking recess in the receiver.  Because of it's location, it was difficult to keep the area clean, and the gun developed a reputation as a "Widow-maker", for the excessive failures.

Many disgusted Marines threw the guns away and stole Army weapons to replace them.
Shortly thereafter, the Marines discarded the Reising to the regret of no one.

Strangely, after the war, many Reisings were given or purchased by police departments, where they were used successfully for many years.
Most of the available Reising's are these ex-police guns.

In civilian use, a well cared-for gun with the wooden stock and the larger magazine was an effective weapon, but it never could shake it's war-time reputation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys! I do remember something about them having trouble jamming on the beaches in the pacific, that would explain it. But seeing as I don't plan on hitting any beaches any time soon and of course if they had no problems with good care and cleaning and they looks so much nicer than a Sten.... hmm.... o O (Lets see, how long would it take to save up 3k...)
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a semi/auto version a few months ago. Pricy. I think the dealer wanted 1700 for it. Don`t remember how many mags it came with. They were made in the 40`s or 50`s right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top