Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 9:59:00 AM EDT
One question, and if the answer is "it shouldn't", then another question...

My AUG is a tired old horse; I replaced all the mag springs this weekend (the mags came with it when I bought it), and it's a well-used rifle. I wound up replacing the bolt sleeve, and the bolt sleeve spring, because of wear on the old one.

Currently, when I shoot it, it ejects at about 2:30 on the clock vertically...and horizontally, it ejects at about 1:00-1:30. basically, as straight forward as it can get without embedding itself back into the stock.

Is that the normal ejection pattern?

If it isn't...does anyone know how to change the ejector and ejector spring in an AUG's bolt? None of the manuals I could find showed how to do it. Popping out and replacing the extractor/extractor spring was no problem, but I have no idea how I'm going to swap out the ejector and spring...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Ah-ha! Ok, so I answered the first part myself...

The answer to question #1 is: "it shouldn't".

From the February 1985 Soldier of Fortune

The ejection path is consistently high and to the rear - about 8 to 10 feet back of the firer. Ejected cases frequently strike and mildly scuff the stock to the rear of the ejection port with no ill effect.

My brass lands about 10-12 feet almost directly in front of me, and it ejects almost flat out. I'd say it's a weak ejector/ejector spring.

So, now...anyone got an answer to question 2?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
...and a reply to my own damn 2nd question.

From Steyr-aug.com:

REPLACEMENT of "bolt sub assembly"

Removal: Field strip the bolt sub assembly. Take "bolt lock sub assembly" and push through "pin extractor" by means of pin punch. Pull out pin punch and take off extractor. Be sure not to drop it! Remove "Spring extractor sub assembly" Place on "bolt lock" and beat through "pin retaining ejector" with pin punch 2mm in diameter. Pull out pin punch and be sure that ejector and spring components are removed and not dropped. Pull out ejector and "spring ejector " from "bolt lock." Press out " pin retaining, pin control" and push out "ping control"

Yes, it was no doubt originally written in Korean, translated into Russian, and then translated into English. However...it looks like it's a pin that's keeping the ejector in. Now to just find out which bloody pin it is
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Heh, why don't you just email these questions to yourself..
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I would, but I'd forget to reply

Seriously, it's the weirdest thing. I'll research. Find nothing, post here.

I'll research some more. I'll find the fucking treasure trove of information, before anyone here replies. I feel like an idiot, and just so no one else needs to go through the "I'm a freaking moron" stage, post the information here.

*shrug*

Now, to see if the guy who's interested in trading his AUG for an HK93 replies...after all, I could always use another one, and the 93's just sitting there doing nothing
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The AUGs get some getting used to.  My sites are way off.  My USR with the newer optics work much better.  Not to mention I like the crosshairs.  Have you seen the G36 site that they are selling? Its a niffy little site that screws on the rail. 3x magnification.  But it sits too low on the gun.  The ejected shells will bang off the stock to the rear and fling outward.  Not a good thing for us lefties!  I have left hand bolt in mine and they are easy to switch back and forth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top