Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2003 1:42:21 PM EDT
Is there any reason I shouldn't trade up to the punchier caliber?  I have always wanted a 10mm, but settled on a .40 S&W a few years ago determining at the time that ammo availability and cost would favor the .40 S&W, but now that I have gotten into reloading, things are changing.

I have some reservations about reloading the .40 S&W for a Glock, due to unsupported case heads, and marginal pressure tolerances.  Are these things a factor in the 10mm as well?  I haven't heard of these issues, and would like to avoid them if possible.

We were also 'granted' a handgun deer hunting season this year as well.  Requirements are 4" barrel G22 is fine here..., .30 caliber or larger .40 > .30, so no problems yet... Centerfire... Duh!, 500 Ft/lbs at muzzle Doh!  G22 can't quite fling that!.

The heaviest load I can do for the .40 S&W is in the 420-460 Ft. Lbs range.  10mm on the other hand will easily break that barrier.

My old handgun is fairly new, and in great shape.  I have about 600 rounds through it so far.  I was hoping to get $480 for it and a std. capacity (15 rd.) magazine, plus all the factory stuff.  There are G20 selling on Gunbroker in the  $530 neighborhood.

Can anybody talk me out of this!?  Snide Anti-Glock comments will be greeted with a knowing smile!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there any reason I shouldn't trade up to the punchier caliber?  I have always wanted a 10mm, but settled on a .40 S&W a few years ago determining at the time that ammo availability and cost would favor the .40 S&W, but now that I have gotten into reloading, things are changing.

I have some reservations about reloading the .40 S&W for a Glock, due to unsupported case heads, and marginal pressure tolerances.  Are these things a factor in the 10mm as well?  I haven't heard of these issues, and would like to avoid them if possible.

We were also 'granted' a handgun deer hunting season this year as well.  Requirements are 4" barrel G22 is fine here..., .30 caliber or larger .40 > .30, so no problems yet... Centerfire... Duh!, 500 Ft/lbs at muzzle Doh!  G22 can't quite fling that!.

The heaviest load I can do for the .40 S&W is in the 420-460 Ft. Lbs range.  10mm on the other hand will easily break that barrier.

My old handgun is fairly new, and in great shape.  I have about 600 rounds through it so far.  I was hoping to get $480 for it and a std. capacity (15 rd.) magazine, plus all the factory stuff.  There are G20 selling on Gunbroker in the  $530 neighborhood.

Can anybody talk me out of this!?  Snide Anti-Glock comments will be greeted with a knowing smile!  

I may be mistaken but I think all calibers above 9x19 in Glocks have unsupported case heads.  I would trade up in a minute from a G22 to a G20.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep your 22 its alot more versatile than most Glocks check out this link :

glockmeister.com/upswap.shtml

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Any limit to magazine size for handgun hunting?

I don't know what you are planning on hunting but if you are thinking Whitetail Deer and if IL Whitetail are anything like MI whitetail then I don't think the 10mm is enough gun unless you can get the deer to walk right up to and lean against the shooting port on your blind so you can take a contact shot.

I just don't think it's enough gun to make a humane kill on a proper size deer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input everyone!  

IL doesn't list a magazine capacity in their recently adopted law.

I have handled a G21 and don't mind the size of the frame.  I imagine the G20 will be about the same.

I am also aware of the limited availability of G20 std. capacity mags.    I do think the AWB will go away next September, and I'll be able to get a few then.

This gun won't be primairly for hunting, but it would be nice to have the option.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds to me like you have rational reasons to step up to the 10mm.  It will let you use it for hunting and you already roll your own.  Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#9]
With the G20 you can swap barrels and have 3 guns in 1. You would need barrels for .40 S&W and .357 Sig. You can use the existing mags. This can't be done with the G22.

Also with your ability to handload you can roll everything from light plinking loads for the G20 to Nuclear loads like MCNETT over at GlockTalk.

GlockTalk has its very own 10MM reloading forum:

glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67

I don't know of any other handgun on the market that is as versatile as the G20. I'd trade the G22 for a G20 in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I got the G22 and liked it.

I then got a G20 and loved it.

The 22 now gets a lot of time hanging in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, G20 it is!

Thanks for all your replies.  Hope the wife can handle the 10mm!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for the attempted hijack:

Can you really use the same magazine for shooting .40, .357 and 10mm in your G20?
Would you have to make any spring changes or extractor changes for the gun to fire reliably?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO, the 10MM is the way to go.

I have 5 of them and do not regret buying any of them.

Accurate and Powerful.

MM419
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry for the attempted hijack:

Can you really use the same magazine for shooting .40, .357 and 10mm in your G20?
Would you have to make any spring changes or extractor changes for the gun to fire reliably?

I think it's a valid question.

All 3 cartridges are based on the parent 10MM case. The .40 has been dubbed the 10MM short by some and the .357 Sig is a necked down .40.

You might have to adjust the recoil springs if you plan on shooting hotter loads.

The extractors shouldn't be a problem but Glock has been having problems with FTEs in the 10MM platform, more so with the G29.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
the magazine well in the G20 would have to be to big for the smaller framed G22 there for it stands to reason that they are not compatable. other wise Glock would have no reason to make the larger framed G20 and G21.  If you are talking about using the G20 mags for all three what would keep the cases from shifting all around.  I am not saying it can't be done I just don't know how.

By the way I have a G20 and love the flat shooting and accuracy I get, plus the 15 round magazines make it quite a powerful little package.

keep your 40 and get a 10mm as well.  If you reload for it watch out for buldging around the head.  Staline brass offers cases of 1k delivered for $101 last I checked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top