Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 11:46:45 AM EDT
Someone on here posted a 7400 in .308 that had been converted to take an 870 or 1187 pistol grip stock and had been modified to accept more than the 5 round mag.

There were pics.......anybody know of or heard about one of these, or know who does it??

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As i recall that was someone's attempt at a cost effective AR-10 rifle.  The stock, if i'm not mistaken, was not an 870 stock but a choate pistol grip stock for the Rem. 7400 (check bushmaster and brownell's).  The mag was an eagle industries 10 rounder synthetic.  Hope this helps; i remember seing the picture but didn't save it on my hard drive.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]

The redX?  I tried to post the pic 3 different ways...one of them should work.

It might have been my Remington 7400 Carbine Synthetic in .30-06.
It IS a Choate 870 pistolgrip buttstock filed slightly to tightly fit the back of the rifle receiver, as it is a bit smaller than the shotgun's.
The Eagle or Millett mags ( I STILL haven't tried them yet, but I WILL this weekend! ) hold 5 or 10 rounds.  The factory mags work, I know that.
I've shot 180-gr. PSP and 220-gr. SP through this gun, about 200-300 rounds worth without a failure of any kind.
It shot the 220's very accurately and the 180's almost as accurately.  The 220's shot a little higher, but same center.
I've been told that 150-gr. ammo is best for these firearms as they don't pound the action as hard as the heavier bullets.  I'll try them sometime.

I've since begun the transition to making the gun a hunting carbine, as it was meant to be.
Prospector has been largely responsible for the buttstock installation and the minute and fine detailing to get the Harris bipod adapter to fit without interfering with the Bell&Carlson two-piece stock.
I'm going to install the Redfield 2-7 Widefield scope on this rifle in Redfield JR 1-pc. base and low rings.
I was using a Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope in the same mounts before.
I will say that the gun in it's form as shown in the photo was a HELL of a lot of fun and really raised some eyebrows at the range.
I particularly enjoyed showing the accuracy to the RangeMaster who was yakking about how the 7400 'threw patterns'...he STFU when he saw that.
What I liked about this configuration is that it was the 'Gunwriter's Nightmare'...too much scope; too short of a bbl.; pistol grip stock; etc.  Loved it!
The 7400 can be made into a sufficient unit to cover more than hunting, but, I'd say to keep the chamber clean and don't overheat the bbl. or rapid fire the action...too much.
It would certainly serve the purpose as shown if I had to only have one rifle.
I'll report back on the plastic magazine function.
That should about explain what I did with the rifle up to now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, SHIVAN.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That was it......it sounds like you are on the fence about your results.

I was thinking of an Aimpoint and maybe not changing out the stock, the mags were critical as the stock mags are only 5 rounds.

I would be getting the .308 and using 147gr Port surplus, and simply want a carbine that will launch a mass of fire quickly.

I had an AR10, but they are so expensive, and the mags are equally expensive.  I may well find that the AR10 or a used M1A is the best bet, but I feel like trying something different.

Where did you find the mags? Any fitting to make them work?

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Millet has 10-rounders www.millettsights.com/magazines.htm, I've never used them.

ramline made them at one time, not sure if they still do.

I'm doing about the same thing with a couple of Remington 760's.  They lightweight, very accurate, and they're a bit faster than lever actions.

Nice rifle.

-hankok
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm definetly on the make it a hunting rifle side of the fence now.
Rapid firing this rifle may not be the best thing for it.
The mags I'll have to try.  I got them a few years ago either from one of the distributor's I deal with or at the fun show.
The factory mags actually hold 4 rounds.
I never intended the rifle to fire at a fast rate with the extended mags, only to have them on the rifle to shoot slowly and accurately and double the time needed before reloading.

I'm anxious to get the 2003 SEBR...
Funds are just about there for the final pmt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#8]
HOLY CRAP THOSE ARE SWEET MAGS!! I need a few for my Remington 760 .30/06. How much do they cost? The 10 rounders are OK in CA, right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
10 rounders are legal in the PRK.  

HB, did you get my email reply to the one you sent me??...I think it may have bounced.  Please IM me either way.

Thanks

-hanko
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I think those mags can be found in the brownells catalog.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I just got back from shooting the plastic magazines.
These have a 'clock spring' to pull the follower up with from the bottom of the mag.

The 5-rounder has never been loaded before, and it worked fine, twice.

The 10-rounder was loaded for EONS and finally dragged out for testing today...
The top round would stay down and the bolt would ride over it.
I pushed the top round out and the rest rose up slowly.
I pushed the second round, now at the top, out, and the third and fourth round fell to the top of the overturned mag because the follower was sticking in the mag somewhere.
I then unloaded it and loaded 4 rounds into the factory mag and it functioned fine.

I will clean the plastic 10-rd. mag and see if it feeds better.
If not, it becomes a target.

I think the best magazines for these rifles will be the factory ones.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hanko, I got the E-mail you sent me. Thanks, I don't know if I will do all that stuff to my rifle . I can't IM you because your IM box is full. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
VEDDY INTARESTINK!!!

I definetly like the, 'ahem' , collapsible stock LOOK...
The bbl. shortened to 16.5" would be pretty cool.
Is there a way to mount the scope a bit lower, sans the Picatinny rail?
How 'bout a 'HO-GRIP' on that sucker?
OD Green finish, etc.
A 7600 in .308 and an 870 done up alike would be a great pair to play with!
You 'gots' the time and the money, it'd fun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Remington makes a 7600P. It is a .308 pump action carbine with a 16" barrel, parkerized finish and synthetic stocks. Go to their police web site, www.remingtonle.com. It might look a little better with the ar stock. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top