Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 1:48:32 PM EDT
Where are all the threads?   this topic gets gone over every month or so, but i had a hard time finding things.  (and i'm lazy/ pressed for time)  so, if people would just post a few links, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll make it simple for you, hands down the FAL!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL, everything else is just a poor second choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:50:38 AM EDT
[#3]
If you actually want to fight with it instead of shoot matches, or impress your buddies at the range, there is nothing out there that can touch the FAL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]
After having all three, FAL! still have the FAL!
DSA's STG58C
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my FAL!

With that said...it seems we're working on a shut-out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I want to fit in too.

FAL without a doubt!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#7]
FAL.

they dont call it the right arm of the free world for nothing!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've not fired the M1 beyond a familiarisation, and I've not more than handled a G3. However, I have absolutely no quarrel with the FAL which was my service weapon for a couple of years. It simply gave you a complete feeling of reliability, that no matter what the situation, what you did with the thing, it would shoot well. A feeling I've never had with any other rifle. (Granted, I've not used an AK).

Of course, eventually the FAL was replaced in Irish service by the Steyr AUG. Whilst the agreement is that the AUG is the better weapon for the job, the FAL is well missed. (Then again, some of the real old-timers still miss the .303 Enfields..)

NTM
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
FAL got to shoot a Full Auto one once pretty controllable considering its 7.62 nato.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Did DSA ever start making them in 5.56?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
M1A.

Brazil uses a .223 version of the FAL. Its a minature copy.
GG
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
M1A/M14. Hands down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Did DSA ever start making them in 5.56?

Nope, .308, .260rem, and .243win

DSA came out with a press release, saying .300wsm would be available also, but never heard anymore about it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have to go G3.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
FAL all the way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Fusil Automatic Leger
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
In 1981 I asked Jeff Cooper the same question.

He said he would choose the BM59 for himself and the G3 for the recruits.

The BM59 has qualities making it the better choice for trained riflemen, while the G3 allows relatively untrained riflemen to hit targets like they are well trained. The FAL was never discussed, probably because it was a rare and expensive collectors piece at the time. I am still weary of it due to all the dead Israeli soldiers found with jammed FALs next to their bodies.

Robert
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Well since this is Ar15.com I'll have to part with the rest of the crowd. Make mine a AR-10! The FAL and M14/M1A are a toss up!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
what is a BM59?

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:06:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#21]
God bless my G3.  

While I like the FAL a lot, it seems like it has so many friggen parts compared to the G3.

As for the M1A, mags are too goddamned expensive still.  Otherwise a fine rifle.

All three rifles have been proven thru years of use with many, many countries.  All have seen real conflicts.  All are still in use today, esp the FAL and G3 in the shithole nations.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:42:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Gimme a M1A!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Good info Troy, didn't know that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
what is a BM59?

It most closely resembles a Springfield Armory M1A Bush Rifle. Essentially an M14 with a short barrel.

It was built by Beretta, first my modifying existing stores of M1 Garands to 7.62 NATO with a shorter barrel and adding a 20 round magazine.

Later they were built from scratch and went into too many variations to remember. They usually show up as a BM59 or BM62. They were of the highest quaility in Italy, but in the 1970s junk versions were being put together in the U.S. with misc parts and rewelded Beretta receivers.

Today they are best left to the collectors. Shooters can always get an M1A Bush Rifle if they want a kissing cousin.

Robert

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#25]
GALIL, followed by FAL, then M1A.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a semi-auto M14 clone and it's a great rifle. I've handled a few FNFAL clones. I have to give respect to the FN. It's a better over all battle rifle than the M14. I'll never take one over my M14 but that's the way I see it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I forgot about the Galil....maybe because I can't afford one right now. I have seen them but never shot one. If it is as accurate as a M14 then it may have to be first on the list because of the AK reliabilty.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
93 countries eventually adopted the FAL.  
-Troy

anybody ever seen a list of these countries?
it'd be cool to see one.  im sure there are quite a few that STILL use the fal as their battle rifle.

you know,
we should ask "whats THE best battle rifle" not just out of these few chioces.  id prolly still say FAL.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll pitch in my inexperienced opinion and say FAL. I love my DSA Stg58, but I shot an M1A once and was it was very nice (I like the sights more - the only thing I still favor about my AR over the FAL). I haven't had the pleasure with a G3, only a CETME and I know the HK would be more impressive.
Things I still need:
M1A
G3
Steyr AUG
HK G36
SIG550
FN M240
M249
M16A2
M4...........ok, but they'd be nice
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#30]
please, if you will give a reason for the FAL being the best, that would help alot more than just   " FAL rocks!, or FAL is the best, etc"   if someone posts the reason already, just agree with it.    That would help me to get an idea of  why it is so much better.

and on a slightly different note, which one would you all say has the best sights, NM or otherwise.   but no scopes.

Danny

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Ive owned a FAL and I currently own a pre-ban M1A.

Both have their good and bad, but Id have to give the edge to FAL based on the more modern ergonomics alone.

That and inexpensive magazines
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
please, if you will give a reason for the FAL being the best, that would help alot more than just   " FAL rocks!, or FAL is the best, etc"   if someone posts the reason already, just agree with it.    That would help me to get an idea of  why it is so much better.

and on a slightly different note, which one would you all say has the best sights, NM or otherwise.   but no scopes.

Danny

Proven gas piston design, good sights, good ergonomics, not alot of parts to strip/clean/lose.

Sort of like the reliability of an AK with ergonomics almost as good as an AR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#34]

NUFF SAID !!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

you know,
we should ask "whats THE best battle rifle" not just out of these few chioces.  id prolly still say FAL.

I think the title of the thread is pretty open ended- if you don't see the gun you wan't, just substitute it for an "etc."    then you can say your arisaka or whatever the gun you got buzing around in your head all you want.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#38]
From the responses it looks like the FAL wins.

It also happens to be the most available, most affordable choice in the U.S. at the moment.

Most interesting is all the choices are old old designs. Even the AR-10 is an old design.

Looking at my gunrack, only my bolt action hunting rifle is anywhere near modern. Ohh rats, on second thought it's a really old design as well. We have all these great new modern pistols, but rifle technology is still stuck in 1959.

Robert
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#39]

I've had an M1A, a AR10A2 & a FAL

the FAL is my favorite, I have 3 now & have since sold the other two rifles

I'd like to shoot a HK91/G3 someday, always liked those rifles, should be reliable
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#41]
M14 . The FAL is nice and a good rifle but is not better than a M14.Maybe close to equal but certainly not better. Most people hollar the mags are cheap.Yaeh thats for you and I to buy. We are talking about militray issued rifles where you wouldn't buy anything it would be issued.Cost means NOTHING.Don't get into its has a wood stock... They had synthtic stocks planned for the M14 but started out with wood. The advantage of the 7.62 is the range.The 5.56 kills very well at 0-300mm .The 7.62 goes out to 600mm for most standard battle rifles.I know the sights go father but be realistic.And in that area the sights on the M14 are one of the best sight systems Ive ever had the pleasure to shoot. I have a FAL being built as we speak.Shot many of a friends.The sights could be better to get the most out of the 7.62 . Scopeing one is a different story.Your out of the Battle rifle role and into the specialty role ( support/sniper ) .Even then I Beleieve(IMO) the M14 excelled in that role as far as vs FAL. But I will say Ive never been in a military that carried the FAL.I do lack first hand knowledge in that area. :(    .The FAL was chosen for many reasons in so many countrys.Its a good rifle #1 . It was proven and was being develped during WWII ( I believe ). FN was very easyly gear up for production.Most smaller country's went with I'll buy what everyone else is buying .FN had the best campaign to sell there products after the war in the 50's no dougt. Look how well they still do today. M14 wasn't really set up for production and the USA wasn't going to sell the M14 to no one at that point in time. Also from another poster stateing the Germans had to settle for the Spanish CETME. The CeTme was a German design.Made in Spain , but designed by Germans during WWII.The CETME is a rock solid design.What parts does it have to break? No gas system to speak of.Less parts to break than the FAL and M14.And I have never seen or read where the FAL out right beat the M14 in testing.From the info Ive read ( Blake Stephens )( Garand to the M14 ) the testing came down to the rifles tested equal.One having an advantage here the other having an advantage here.Went with the Home grown rifle.No problem with that.But lets face it the Germans and Russians basicly put and end to the full power cartridge with there Assualt rifle designs.The West held out as long as they could.But a smaller round was was always around the corner. I very much believe they should have a couple (2ea) 7.62 rifles in a platoon if not a squad . I see where they was doing just thst in Iraq . Alot of M14's got issued to units.Some standard some scoped.From what Ive read they did there jobs well. The puiblic has a way of likeing what they can get for cheap.If M14's/M1A's was being sold for $400-800 and FALs was less obtanable being $1100-1700 so many peole would spout the opposite.Not all but a certain percentage.Thats the way things work.Yeah Im a M14 guy. I guess Im fond of them being my Father inlaw carried and killed the enemy with it while serveing in the Marines during a vaction stop over in a paradise call Vietnam. My Father also carried one and a good buddied of mine also put in for that sizzling hot spot called Nam and got his request and carried the M14 and got to shoot at the moving targets there also.. I questioned them on the rifle and problems and all I got was praise. Now If they carried the FAL Im sure they would have praised it too.Like I said it's a very good rifle.You know if everyone had yellow houses and drove yellow cars,this would be a dull and bland world.Cheers my Bro's WarDawg( Semper Primus )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top