Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
 Anyone out there have one?  How do you like it?  
 I was concerned about parts due to the fact that it appears that Robinson is the only one who makes it.  Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had one for about three years now and I love it.  The gun is very well built, and is quite solid.  With a scope I can do about 2" groups at 100 yards with SA surplus.  That would probably shrink a bit with handloads or even 69 grain factory ammo.  Reliability has been perfect from what I recall. I don't ever remember having a malfunction.  Due to the weight of the rifle and its adjustable gas system, recoil is noticeably softer than the AR-15.  All my AR mags fit and work perfectly.

I bought the carbine model and managed to pick up a rifle barrel and gas system from someone for $150.  The rifle is definitely muzzle heavy, but I think the Recon model would be much lighter.  I haven't needed to replace any parts so far.  Robinson is widely known to stand firmly behind the M96, so I have no worries about continued support for the platform.

My only complaint is that Robinson's accessories (such as scope bases, furniture, etc) are expensive, and aftermarket support is nearly nonexistent.

If you are looking for a well built, rather unusual sport utility rifle to keep your AR's company, the M96 is a great choice.  I wouldn't recommend it if you only want one military style rifle.  Everybody should buy at least one AR first.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
i saw a brand new one fail at the range today.  short stroke, jam, barrel came loose while shooting.  first time to the range.  i thought it was funny since they were telling me how much better they were than AR's..then they started shooting it..or at least trying to.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you can say the M96 is "better" than AR's, mostly because the M96 is a single-source rifle that has not benefitted from 40 years of troubleshooting and upgrades, and it lacks the aftermarket, which has historically been an important source of innovations and better parts than milspec.

I think the M96's operating system is potentially more reliable than the AR's, but I can't see it making a whole lot of difference in 95% of situations... though the AR's direct gas impingement system has many vocal detractors.

I like the M96 for three basic reasons: 1) its modularity (i.e. the barrel just pops right off) is very convenient, 2) better ergonomics than the AR, with a dropped stock, 2-stage trigger, lighter recoil, and a good system for mounting an accessory rail on the top, and 3) it's a very robust gun, built to last, and will far outlast me.

Quoted:
i saw a brand new one fail at the range today.  short stroke, jam, barrel came loose while shooting.  first time to the range.  i thought it was funny since they were telling me how much better they were than AR's..then they started shooting it..or at least trying to.

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The gas system makes alot of sence to me.  Until I started using CLP the AR's action would be pretty gummed up after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
 inferno...whoever you saw shooting that M96 was an idiot who can't read an instruction manual.  the dumb f%cker put the gun together WRONG and tweaked the gas system to five instead of leaving it on zero for a few hundred rounds like your supposed to.  and if he would've locked the barrel into the reciever like those of us who are mechanically inclined can he wouldn't have "launched" his barrel.

tell that stupid f#@k I'll by that gun from him for 5 bucks...he doesn't deserve a cent more... that stupid ass hill billy non readin' mot*^#@$!ker

Stewart I own three AR's an original 180 and an M96 just to name a few.....and lemme tell ya...the M96 ROCKS.  I bash the crap out of mine, I drag it all over hells half acre ( I live in Arizona...so hell's half acre is my back yard ) and I can tell you it ROCKS! I haven't cleaned it in over 500 rounds and the action is still silky smooth. But as you can read in inferno's post, if you have an IQ in the range of the guy he was watching try to shoot one you probably shouldn't handle one....or any gun for that matter.

Check out M96.org when it comes back up and check out the M96 discussion area on biggerhammer.net and you can get all the skinny you want on the M96.  Oh...wait at least half a year before buying one...the newest additions and upgrades will be on those systems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
While I have no experience with this rifle I do have lots of experience with idiots at the range.

Some people are just so damn stupid that they have no business with a deadly weapon of any kind.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What new additions and upgrades are coming out, Desertmoon? I'm trying to sell mine (not trying very hard though), buying a house. Where would you recommend running the gas setting at after 750 rounds?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#8]
 zoom, the long awaited manual bolt lock function should be out in about six months.  you and me just need to upgrade our mag wells to add this function....well, as far as I know.  IM me with your email.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, sounds like I'm going to have to get one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#10]
The only thing I don't like is the price.  Kinda high for a post-ban gun.  Other than that, it seems like a pretty cool gun.  

Ross
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#11]
 Ross, yeah it is a bit pricey but you really get your money's worth.  I do advise anyone wanting one in the near future to wait about six months because many user desired features are to be added to the weapon system.  Even more than I anticipated, apparently...though RA is hush hush on it at the moment.
 Cool thing is that those of us with current systems can upgrade by just snapping the new parts in place!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I was probably going to wait and see how the AWB shakes out before I bought one anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top