Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 7:06:37 PM EDT
I am right handed yet seem to be left hand dominant- now I have a question or 2...

I have always(the entire month I've owned guns lol) closed my left eye when shooting both rifles & pistols and used my right eye. Should I be using my left eye & closing my right? That just feels incredibly awkward especially as it would force me to hold my rifles against my left shoulder instead of my right which just feels wrong.
Now talking to another person- he suggested/hinted that for shooting anything I should keep both eyes open- this also seems strange to me, & makes sighting difficult, though I'm getting a little more used to it w/my pistol...

thoughts?

thx

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I was lucky to be right handed and right eye dominant. When I started shooting I always kept my left eye shut, the scope eye staying open and working fine. This was working ok until one session at the range that ran long 5+ hrs and my eye was starting to really bug me, and I was becoming tired for no reason. I friend of mine suggested keeping both eyes open would fix both. He was right it felt weird for awhile but worked after a little getting used to. With both the Aimpoint and Reflex it seems more natural to have both eyes open and it doesn't seem as odd as when shooting a rifle with scope.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#2]
To check eye dominance, use the thumb and index finger of both hands to form a large circle.  Extend your arms so that the circle is between 1 and 3 feet from your face.  With both eyes open, look through the circle and center an object several feet away in the circle.  For example, look at the doorknob of the room you're in from across the room.  Without moving your hands, close one eye.  If the object stays in the circle, you're looking through your dominant eye.  If the object moves, you're looking through your non-dominant eye.

Lucky me, I'm left handed but right eye dominant so I don't have to buy left handed rifles.

HTH

bjt
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Squint a bit w/your non-domanent eye.  Also turn you head a bit domanent eye leading...

So I can't spell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant.  I shoot with my right eye.  When I shoot with a red-dot I have both eyes open.  With a scope, I usually have both eyes open, and when I'm shooting iron sights, I usually close my left eye.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Righty, Left Eye here as well.  I just adapted by learning to shoot long guns left-handed.

Both shooting Lefty and shooting with both eyes open take some getting used to, but I'd rather shoot with my dominant eye and rifle on my left shoulder than try to compensate by twisting the rifle or leaning way over the top of it.

Just MHO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
When shooting a handgun, the weapon will naturally come up to your dominant eye. No need to turn your head and all of that. Your head should be erect and you shouldn't be hunched over. Bring the weapon up to you eyes, not the other way around.

Mark
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I am another right handed, left eye dominant person. I haven't shot too many pistols (only one time)but...Shooting pistols I kept both eyes open and twisted my head a bit, have only shot two handed. I am pretty deadly with a S&W model 29 now heh.

Rifles and shotguns, I alternate. When shooting righty, I close my left eye, lefty, I close my right eye usually. Shooting informal clays from a cheapo mechanical trap, I keep both eyes open and hold it left handed, and am pretty good that way.

I believe that being able to use both hands effectively is a worthwhile skill to learn, since should you ever have to use these skills to save your life, shooting lefty when you have to come out the left side of cover will expose less of your body than shooting righty and coming out left. I don't hunt, but I'm sure it could help one in the field as well.

It might feel weird at first, but once you get used to it you are essentially ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm right handed (mostly) and left eye dominant.  I shoot handguns right handed but use my left eye.  I shoot rifle both right and left.  But hunt right handed with a rifle.  Off of a bench I shoot much better left handed.  Shooting left handed does seem awkward but I do it as much as possible when I remember to try.  I'm kinda ambidextrous anyway I throw (footballs and baseballs) and bowl left handed.  I shoot bows right handed.  On my M4 I have a DPMS ambi safety and a Norgon AmbiCatch.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd think being able to shoot w/both your R/L handed styles/positions would be ideal, especially since you can train yourself to be like this. A eye dominance trick is to put a bb sized hole in a peice of printer sized paper, hold it at arms lenght, then draw it twoard your eyes, it will end up 'on',infrontof, your dominant eye. fwiw
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Conventional wisdom, via NRA Instructor's Manual, is to shot left handed if your left eye dominant.  This can take some getting used to if you are naturally right handed.  Being cross dominant can be a real struggle for some shooters.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top