Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2003 11:07:37 AM EDT
Pellican cases and the like. They have three layers of foam. The center foam piece is to be cutout to fit the firearm/accessories.

Does anyone have a method to do this neetly?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
what i did was place firearm on center foam, get a Sharpie marker and draw outline of firearm.

Pull center foam out of case and place on cutable surface ( i jus used cardboard)

I used a 4" benchmade knife , what ever ya use it has to be razor sharp, the foam in the pelican case is kinda hard (texture) so with a sharp knife it cuts easily, the trick is to make sure ya cut ALL the way to the bottom, the foam is pretty thick, and i jus use a delicate sawing action, try not to PULL the foam with the knife or it will tear and look like ass.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Three options that I know of to make it easier
1. Freeze the foam.  Kinda hard if you're trying to do a rifle and don't have a big freezer.
2. Electric knife.  You know, the carving knife you got as a wedding present?
3. Build a "hot knife".  There's instructions on the web how to make a knife out of a battery and some stiff wire. for example, this one:
wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/HalloweenTech/fotmak_MakingFoamTools.html#AssortedTools
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:54:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Pelican's instructions say to use chalk for the outline and and electric carving knife to cut it. I'll be doing this myself when my AR10 gets here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
if it's closed cell foam (harder stuff), you can heat seal the cut surfaces with a heat gun (even a hair dryer)

this will fix a lot of errors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top