Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 1:59:11 PM EDT

I've had my little pre-ban baby since 1991, complete w/ butler creek folding pistol gripped stock, flash hider, weaver-rail mounted reddot, and hi-caps, etc.

I love this gun dearly, but the trigger absolutely sucks. I know the gun's internal workings like the back of my hand, so I'm confident I can do whatever it takes to make my trigger lighter- just tell me what I need to do.  I know that cutting springs and polishing can only go so far, so I know I'll need to purchase a new hammer and sear most likely-anything out there besides the pricey Volquartsen stuff?

I've got about $40 to make this project work- I want the lightest, shortest (but still functional) pull possible, with a short break/reset- I already know that I can fix overtravel on my own w/ a 2 cent stopper.

Any constructive ideas would be welcomed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The best overall cheap trigger mod I have tried was the Volquartsen hammer.  $30.00 is'nt too bad and made a world of difference.

If you want to do it yourself, hit www.rimfirecentral.com for in-depth info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheapest place online to buy that hammer?  What else would make a difference besides the hammer?  Trigger and springs? Other stuff?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced a couple of other pieces, but to tell you the truth, all you need to do is the hammer...amazing difference.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The hammer comes with new springs, shims, can't remember what else.

I highly recommend these guys...

www.ontargetguns.com/10-22.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
POLISH THE STOCK HAMMER,

its free and if you do it right and good it will be comparable or better than a VQ.
worst case scenario, you fudge it up and gotta buy a new one.

the clark custom 1022 customize video shows some other tricks to modify the gun.

i also made a bolt buffer from rubber tubing, im not sure how the aftermarket ones work. but i cut a piece of tube to size, then a length-wise cut, to leave a 2mm opening, and clamp it over the metal bolt stop.
NOTE -- my tubing was undersize, 5/32 ID, so the correct size tube might work better, or differently.
dont know if it makes a difference in the guns performance or if i even needed it at all, but what the hell. it seems to stay on pretty good too.
i also thought about doing the same thing with the rubber tubing, but glueing it on the back of the bolt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The best overall cheap trigger mod I have tried was the Volquartsen hammer.  $30.00 is'nt too bad and made a world of difference.

If you want to do it yourself, hit www.rimfirecentral.com for in-depth info.

This is the site where I obtained the knowledge to get my trigger to 1.5 to 2.0 lb.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]
i bought a honed hammer from a guy on ebay and it works great. (i was too chicken to do it myself)  i also got a rounded trigger plunger and a new sear and disconnector,  and a bunch of other crap.

if yourinterested:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=47&t=174655
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Volquartsen hammer and trigger.  The trigger is plastic with an adjustable stop on it.  It makes it much better.  The trigger is about $25 or so from OnTarget.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
what does a rounded trigger plunger do?
just makes a smoother pull?

VQ makes a metal trigger, but i dont think it has a set screw.
my bro has one, i still prefer the feel of the stock trigger with the deeper curve.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:18:20 AM EDT
[#10]
rounded trig plunger gets rid of the "gritty" feel in the pull.  for about $3, its well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Second on the Volq. hammer.  $30 part, smoothed and lightened the pull up like a champ on my 10/22.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top