Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2003 5:48:24 AM EDT
Hope I chose the correct forum for this...my apologies if I chose wrong.

For simple fun, I was thinking of scooping up a 37mm launcher for a 20" AR15.  I'm guessing I could entertain myself for an afternoon or two at the gravel pit.

Understanding the novelty use of such an item, what, if any, ammo is available.  I checked 37mm.com already, but it's loaded with legal crap.

Getting to the nuts and bolts, what types of ammo are available?

If there are bird bombs and parachute flares and smoke bombs and rubber pellets around, that might be fun.

Anyone?  Also, post a pic if you own one!

H
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Ammo is available, but is extremely pricey.

I chose to reload. It's a hell of alot cheaper. As long as you don't make any DD or anti-personel rounds, you're OK. I even made some OC animal control rounds.

Save your film cans. They are the perfect size for 37mm. fill em with chalk dust and they work great for popping at the range.

Take a mammoth smoke bomb, ram it fuse first into the casing with a lifting charge, and you've got a decent 37mm smoke bomb. better than the small $10 ones.

check out the area on 37mm that shows relaoding. Brassman sells cheap brass that works great!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#2]
37mm is going the way of the Dodo bird.  The munitions manufacturers resent having to make their wares in both 37mm and 40mm. Military and LE are standardizing on 40mm.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess that's my core question:

If ammo is going to be INCREASINGLY difficult to acquire, I won't bother with the toy.  It'd look cool though...
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
37mm ammo is getting harder and harder to get.

The ATF has rulled that Bird bombs can't be made anymore, so whatever is out there as fara s bird bombs, is it.

there are things like smoke and flares that you can get, but as far as rubber battons and bean bags and stuff, thats all considered anti-personel and owning any ammo like that in conjunction with a 37mm flare launcher, means that you are in posession of a DD.

You might want to talk to TREETOP on this board, I think he has a few 37mm launchers
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
good info, I'll do that, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out 37mm.com
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought that you could get 12 ga inserts for a 37mm somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought that you could get 12 ga inserts for a 37mm somewhere.

Dangerous.

not from a safety perspective, but from a legal perspective. IF you use anything other than a 12 ga flare round, you're in trouble.

Also, im not how the ATF is on this, but a 37mm, adapter, and 12 ga buckshot. Contructive intent to manufacture a DD? You tell me.... i'm not willing to risk it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I also was considering on getting a 37mm for my 20".  I was told that you could use the CN/CS/OC/Smoke/Flares ets rounds that you see listed over on auctionarms and gunboard in a 37mm and be legal.  As long as they aren't the rubber batons, breaching rounds etc, or be antipersonal.  Have I been told wrong?

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
questionable.

The way i understand it, Anything meant to be "anti-personel" is concidered to be DD.

Now, i know personally that some mfg's will sell you CS/OC/CN etc.

You tell me. Do you plan on using these rounds for "anti-personal" purposes?

Check www.37mm.com. It's a grey area at best.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]
From my reading, it seems safe if you want to use flares and smoke.  That's it.  Nothing that could potentially be used 'against personnel'

Heck, I'll still get one, flares would be fun.  Specially at the camp up north.

Plusif SHTF, you can light up a field and pick off the zombie horde as they triangulate on your position.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, im not how the ATF is on this, but a 37mm, adapter, and 12 ga buckshot. Contructive intent to manufacture a DD? You tell me.... i'm not willing to risk it.

37mm + adapter + 12 gauge buckshot = catastrophic flare launcher failure = trip to the hospital.

The flare launchers are just that--flare launchers.  The 12 gauge adapters will not stand up to the chamber pressure of a standard shotgun load, only flare type loads.  Kaboom!  Bye bye fingers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top