Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 4:00:24 AM EDT
I mentioned on a thread on General Discussion that I found a bargain at the Houston Gun Show this weekend.  It is a Springfield 1911-A1.  I paid $350, out the door, fom an individual. Here's a pic:

The seller said he had only shot it a few times.  I actually believe that the main reason he sold it was that he didn't know how to clean it.

It had a two piece, full length guide rod that you have to unscrew from the front and remove the front half to disassemble the pistol.  I don't believe that he knew how to do it.

When I got the pistol home the first thing I did was to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning.  It was full of grease and crud and had obviously never been cleaned.

I sprayed it down with WD-40 and used a toothbrush to clean all the gunk out.  I then blew it out with compressed air.  I polished the feedramp, oiled the links, and put Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails.  It was like NIB.

I then took it to the range and put around 50 rounds of Wolf 230 grain ball through it and then around 50 rounds of handloads, 210 grain semi-wadcutters.

The wadcutters went into one ragged hole.  No malfunctions of any kind.  It ran like a sewing machine.

Very happy with the Springfield.  I'm glad the guy didn't know how to clean it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I mentioned on a thread on General Discussion that I found a bargain at the Houston Gun Show this weekend.  It is a Springfield 1911-A1.  I paid $350, out the door, fom an individual.

Understatement of the century!
Congratulations!  Good Grief!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I mentioned on a thread on General Discussion that I found a bargain at the Houston Gun Show this weekend.  It is a Springfield 1911-A1.  I paid $350, out the door, fom an individual.

Understatement of the century!
Congratulations!  Good Grief!

Thanks!

I was smiling so big I had dimples in the cheeks of my butt.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll bet.  I'll give ya $375 for it...j/k
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Great looking gun, OP!

I love dirty guns!  I have gotten some of my best deals because people never bothered to clean their guns.

Most recently was a Remington 1100 LT-20 shotgun.  I paid $240 it, and when I got it home I cleaned out about half a pound of dirt, grass, and leaves.  After oiling it up it has been 100% reliable, and a great skeet gun.  I'm certain the guy sold it because it was choking on all that dirt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great looking gun, OP!

I love dirty guns!  I have gotten some of my best deals because people never bothered to clean their guns.

Most recently was a Remington 1100 LT-20 shotgun.  I paid $240 it, and when I got it home I cleaned out about half a pound of dirt, grass, and leaves.  After oiling it up it has been 100% reliable, and a great skeet gun.  I'm certain the guy sold it because it was choking on all that dirt.

Yep, me too.  I've bought guns at a discount because the owner said, "The bore's not too good.  So I'll take less."

After cleaning it out, the bore was perfect.

You just about can't "shoot out" a bore with modern ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top