Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2003 12:54:50 PM EDT
Okay I am wanting a plinker all I have right now are hunting rifles shotguns and a 10/22. These are the choices I have!

1. Romanian Sar-1 $310

2. Norinco Sks with folding stock good bore rated and 90% with screw in barrel $179

3. Marlin Camp 9 carbine good looking gun $299

4. Build an m4 kit from M&A with a stinger lower $575

This will be my first plinker and I cant decide! I am almost pulling out my hair!

SEMPER FI

Justin
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the address displayed in your web browser right now... specifically, the part immediately following ""http//www."  What do you THINK most of the people here are going to suggest???  

That being said (and owning at least one of all of the above), the best bang for your buck from your short list is the SAR.  Very economical (rifle, mags, & ammo) & perfectly suitable for plinking and/or defensive applications - just peruse the AK forum for advice on how to pick, how to accessorize, and how much to spend.

Or read down below in a few hours (minutes?  seconds?) to read everybody else completely contradicting what I'm telling you here and follow their instructions instead...
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm not mistaken, the Romanian SAR uses single stack mags. I'd skip it for that reason alone.

The Camp Carbine uses a pistol caliber so you're not gaining anything there, IMO.

The SKS is a lot of fun to shoot but accuracy will iffy, at best. Expect 4-6" groups @ 50 yards. Clearly you're getting a true rifle caliber here in 7.62x39.

The M4 build is a good choice, IMO. I would be a bit hesitant if I weren't **very** familiar with the AR family. Heck, you can buy a NIB Bushy for around $700, I hear.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The WASAR used single stack mags, the SAR uses double stack.

How much do you want to spend?  I love my M4, I love my Romak-2 (precursor to the SAR).  For the price of the M4 you can have a SAR 1 with a half dozen mags, case of ammo and probably a used kobra optic if you shopped around.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The Sar-1 would make a great plinker (The Sar-1 uses double stack mags).  

Mags and ammo for the sar are cheap too.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Im looking for a reliable but politically incorrect type of rifle its either SAR or M4 What a pain it is!

Justin
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Justin,
allegedly the SAR's are not going to be imported any more. I don't know anything about the SAR-1 but have an SAR-2 and like it.  You could do far worse than get the SAR-1 - IMHO.  

Plinking generally calls for cheap ammo and the SAR-1 uses cheap ammo.

Tom
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#7]
...yup....go with the s a r.........
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my Bushy M4 and A3 20" HBAR, but if you want a plinker, go with the SAR. I picked up a SAR 2, as it is the only legal AK in CT. I love that little bastard. Cheap and nasty non-corrosive ammo, cheap mags, cheap accesories. It's not a tack driver by any means, but an excellent all around firearm. The Kalashnikov design is one of the most functional ever seen, IMHO.

Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
AHHHH, I just want an m4 but I also want an SAR, I like the Sar because of the drums, And the m4 for the accuracy! What should i get for when the SHTF?

Justin
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
A SAR-1 not a SHTF or battle rife?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
An AK is not by definition a battle rifle.  Think .308, 30.06., 8mm.  To that end - Garands, M1As, HK91/G3/Cetme, FAL/L1A1...
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I think i might go m4 for a good reliable accurate rifle!

Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top