Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 1:37:43 PM EDT
I, like many other people, have been looking for a very well built scout rifle. I would like to keep it just as it arrives from the factory without having to send it in to a smith for cosmetic surgery or modifications.

I would like it to be fairly robust.

I need permanantly attatched (or super sturdy removable) iron sights. I prefer peep sights with a long sight radius.

I would like the ability to mount a scope.

Must be around 1 MOA, and It must shoot .308, of course.

I was thinking about the Savage Scout. Can anyone give me some feedback on this rifle and possibly offer a better alternative?

I would like to keep things a little under $1000.00, but I am not afriaid to pay a little extra for a damn good, straight shootin rifle that will never let me down... if such a thing exists.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
there is a good article on the savage scout in the newest shotgun news.I am toying with the idea of building my own scout on a russian m44.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking of selling my Savage scout because I just cannot get used to the forward scope setup. Funny thing is, I can use a red dot sight easily. Make sure you shoot one bdfore you do the money thing.

Bob

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Colklink,
I was thinking the same thing about the m44. got any idea's? Know anyone who has tried it. Im thinking about one for a truck gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
A scout rifle, that shoots .308. Hmmm. I like my friend's M1A scout. That thing, with a nice little red-dot, would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Bolt or Semi-Auto?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Savage Scout. I like the stock iron set up, they are quick for me. I've never had any problems with mine. I did try a Bushnell Holosight one it once, I didn't see the advantage myself. It's not a Steyr though, which I also have. If you look at the two from a financial standpoint(budget)-get the Savage, if you have the dollars, I would get the Steyr. I have a BHI stock pouch on the Savage for extra goodies. My magazine works great, I heard that if you get extra magazines, they are finicky. If they would add a stripper clip guide on that they would have something going. I did take the Savage sling off and put it on my Steyr, thta works better on it. A big advantage with the Steyr is the railed top-it gives you plenty of options.

Basic bottom line, I like both. I have the stock irons on the Savage and a Leupold scope on the Steyr-mounted in the traditional way and used the Leupold quick detach rings. I was going to do the #22's, but not sure how that will look.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Steyr Tactical Scout and I love it. The Steyr will be the rifle I grab when the SHTF. The only problem is the fact that it is so light. It'll beat the shit out of your shoulder if you shoot it all day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
My "Scout" rifles is an M1A scout with USGI stock & Trgger group, and an Aimpoint Comp M in a GG&G mount.

I would like to buy the Styer. You couldnt pay me to own the Savage, with the flimsey plastic stock and ass ugle SAVAGE logo on the bolt body.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
My scout rifle is a Garand Tanker with a burris scout scope. Real fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]

You couldnt pay me to own the Savage, with the flimsey plastic stock....

I keep hearing this, mostly from people on the boards who dont like Savage. I have a Savage Scout with a Leupold Scout scope on it and it will shoot under MOA all day long with my reloads of a bipod or bags. I've never had any trouble with it, or the other Savages I've owned, and they shot just as well.(my old 110S Silhouette rifle shot every bit as good as any of my Remingtons) Savage makes a reliable, accurate rifle, especially for what they cost. I think it must be jealousy from those who spent WAY to much for a gun that doesnt shoot or work any better.

Sure a Styer would be nice, but its not worth what the sell them for. The M1A Scout really isnt a Scout by definition, its about 3 pounds to heavy and not near as handy.

My only bitch about the Savage Scout was that it didnt come with the extra sling point for the Ching type sling. No biggie really, its easily added.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I keep hearing this, mostly from people on the boards who dont like Savage. I have a Savage Scout with a Leupold Scout scope on it and it will shoot under MOA all day long with my reloads of a bipod or bags. I've never had any trouble with it, or the other Savages I've owned, and they shot just as well.(my old 110S Silhouette rifle shot every bit as good as any of my Remingtons) Savage makes a reliable, accurate rifle, especially for what they cost. I think it must be jealousy from those who spent WAY to much for a gun that doesnt shoot or work any better.

Sure a Styer would be nice, but its not worth what the sell them for. The M1A Scout really isnt a Scout by definition, its about 3 pounds to heavy and not near as handy.

My only bitch about the Savage Scout was that it didnt come with the extra sling point for the Ching type sling. No biggie really, its easily added.

word from instructors I know, the Steyr IS in fact worth the extra money.  Perhaps you're getting confused in your jealousy for something you can't afford?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

word from instructors I know, the Steyr IS in fact worth the extra money.  Perhaps you're getting confused in your jealousy for something you can't afford?

I think it may be more of a lack of justification of perceived advantages, rather than an ability to pay.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Having been there and done that I can say that the Scout Rifle will do anything, but doesn't do anything well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]

word from instructors I know, the Steyr IS in fact worth the extra money. Perhaps you're getting confused in your jealousy for something you can't afford?

I dont know what your instructors say, I know from experience what my Scout will do. I know this from hands on experience not somebody elses opinion. Affording has nothing to do with it. Its like buying a Harley cause thats the cool thing for the in crowd to have, unless you want to go fast, then that cheap little rice grinding rocket will blow your ass away and at half the size and a quater the cost. You dont have to spend a ton of money to get a shooter. Money doesnt make a shooter either, skill and practice do. You'd be better off taking the money the Styer cost and get the Savage and spend the rest on ammo and then shoot your ass off. You will be a better shooter in the long run. I've seen plenty of fancy boys at the ranges with their fancy rifles, and they couldnt shoot those fancy rifles to save their ass's. They sure looked pretty though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

word from instructors I know, the Steyr IS in fact worth the extra money. Perhaps you're getting confused in your jealousy for something you can't afford?

I dont know what your instructors say, I know from experience what my Scout will do. I know this from hands on experience not somebody elses opinion. Affording has nothing to do with it. Its like buying a Harley cause thats the cool thing for the in crowd to have, unless you want to go fast, then that cheap little rice grinding rocket will blow your ass away and at half the size and a quater the cost. You dont have to spend a ton of money to get a shooter. Money doesnt make a shooter either, skill and practice do. You'd be better off taking the money the Styer cost and get the Savage and spend the rest on ammo and then shoot your ass off. You will be a better shooter in the long run. I've seen plenty of fancy boys at the ranges with their fancy rifles, and they couldnt shoot those fancy rifles to save their ass's. They sure looked pretty though.

The fact is that some people CAN afford to do both.  Just because you can't doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Steyr, or that it's not worth the money.  You DO get something for your money and it's called quality.  But you're right, the savage will ignite the primer and fling lead downrange in a modestly accurate manner.  Glad to hear that you enjoy it.  However, just like there is a reason a Mercedes costs more than a civic, there is a reson the Stery costs more than the Savage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I never said the Steyr wasnt a nice rifle, whether its worth the money is a matter of opinion. If you want to spend the money, hey its your money. I'm just saying it isnt necessarily a better shooter than the Savage. Most rifles will out shoot their shooters reguardless of price. My lowly Savage "will ignite the primer and fling lead downrange" at around 3/4 MOA on a regular basis. I can live with that for a "el cheapo" hunting rifle. Whats your Steyr do? Just because Jeff Cooper or somebody else says I should buy it for $2500 doesnt mean I should. Just because you spend the money doesnt mean you can shoot it well or that it will make you a better shooter. I bought the Savage to see if I liked the concept. I do for the most part and its ok for what it is, and I lucked out and mine shoots. But I wouldnt bother wasting the extra money on the Steyr when the Savage will do the same thing for what I need it to. I'd rather spend what I saved on other things. But hey, thats just me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I never said the Steyr wasnt a nice rifle, whether its worth the money is a matter of opinion. If you want to spend the money, hey its your money. I'm just saying it isnt necessarily a better shooter than the Savage. Most rifles will out shoot their shooters reguardless of price. My lowly Savage "will ignite the primer and fling lead downrange" at around 3/4 MOA on a regular basis. I can live with that for a "el cheapo" hunting rifle. Whats your Steyr do? Just because Jeff Cooper or somebody else says I should buy it for $2500 doesnt mean I should. Just because you spend the money doesnt mean you can shoot it well or that it will make you a better shooter. I bought the Savage to see if I liked the concept. I do for the most part and its ok for what it is, and I lucked out and mine shoots. But I wouldnt bother wasting the extra money on the Steyr when the Savage will do the same thing for what I need it to. I'd rather spend what I saved on other things. But hey, thats just me.

So then I take it you only wear walmart brand clothes, drive a civic, and generally have nothing that's nicer than it "needs to" be?  Look, to some people $2.5k is the same thing as the what, $300?, that the savage is to you.  I really couldnt care less what you shoot or how well you claim to shoot it.  It's the internet and I don't need to tell you that the internet is full of badasses that shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with iron sights all day long.  But you come off sounding like you're awefully jealous when you start bashing things that you can't afford.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So then I take it you only wear walmart brand clothes, drive a civic, and generally have nothing that's nicer than it "needs to" be?  Look, to some people $2.5k is the same thing as the what, $300?, that the savage is to you.  I really couldnt care less what you shoot or how well you claim to shoot it.  It's the internet and I don't need to tell you that the internet is full of badasses that shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with iron sights all day long.  But you come off sounding like you're awefully jealous when you start bashing things that you can't afford.

I still don't see the part where he said he could not afford it. I only see the part where you ASSumed he couldn't afford it.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I glad to know you know what I can and cant afford.  By the way, I have worn Walmart clothes, have driven Civics, some things better, some things worse, lived places you probably wouldnt like and places you probably would, who cares. You seem to be the one so worried about money and possessions. So, how well does YOUR Steyr shoot? You do have one, right? How about your Savage, hows it shoot? You do have actual experience with one to discuss it, right? If you like the Steyer, great. If you can actually shoot it, even better. Just dont be all uppity and try and tell us that just because its a "Steyr" its all that and any thing less is trash. If you doubt what I say about the Savage, go ahead and spend a little pocket change and get one and prove me wrong. Then again, your right, this is the internet and maybe the wife wont let you have the change in the cookie jar for that big an expenditure.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The only Steyr I've owned was an SBS Tactical. What a piece of sh!t that was. Promptly sold it at a gunshow. Back to my Remingtons. I expiremented with the scout concept using a Remy 700 action, Burris Scout scope and mount. This was in 1992. I was unimpressed with my abilities with it. As I posted above the scout concept may do it all, but it doesn't do it well. At least not for me. Kokalis did a review of the Steyr Scout. He liked the concept but didn't like the action. It becomes really stiff when you set it to pop military primers. Buy the Savage and make sure a Scout is right for you. Then if you like it, drop the big bucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I don't know about you fellas, but I wouldn't get caught seen in the wilds with either the Steyr or the Savage.  Only the Ralph Lauren Polo series scout rifle will do for me, with the pastel barrel, rosewood stock with fine jewel inlays, and buttstock compartment for storage of extra cologne and condoms.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Just stir the pot a bit:
Mauser from just about anywhere. $150
New barrel for said mauser in .308 $250 installed for low end $500 plus for high end.
If low end, mount and drilling/tapping barrel $150
Cheap, but effective red dot scope $100
i come up with 650 at the low end, leaving money for stock and trigger, better scope etc.  the advantage is you get a controlled feed action, stripper clip feed, reliable ignition, good choice of triggers, easy availability of spare parts.  cons would be a time spend to build it and having to find some parts to your taste.

Can you do MOA from a field position? no disrespect just curious, we demand much performance from our tools, but they are only as good as the man behind the trigger.  reason being that cheap .308 barrels are widely available and with a good break in can probably approach MOA.  the money saved can be used on other work which might yield a better return on your dollar.  good luck with your project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top