Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 3:42:37 PM EDT
I plead a decent amount of ignorance on bolt guns.

Im looking for a good, lightweight bolt gun with durable iron sights in .308? Im not looking to add any kind of optics to it.

Does anyone make such a beast?

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
All the major mfgrs make them. Most have iron sights available.

For mil-surp, there's the Indian Enfield Carbine in .308. I had one but it's a shoulder buster!

My .308 LW rifle is a Weatherby. Start checking web sites, you'll find what you want.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Rem 700.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]
 Lumpy, stick with a bolt gun that has a mauser style extractor and, if possible, a fixed ejector.  Remington makes a VERY accurate rifle...but the extractor is NOT built to take any abuse whatsoever, it's thinner than a dime...it WILL fail you when the chips are down...

I really wish I didn't have to say that because I really like Remingtons as far as their out of the box accuracy...and they are okay hunting guns and target guns...if that's all your looking for then by all means try one.  However if your looking for a true GP gun...you will have to look elsewhere.

I would like to advise winchester, despite the lack of a fixed ejector but a good buddy of mine ( who is a gun salesman ) has told me to pass on Winchester due to spotty QC.

As far as other suggestions, I am sure someone will be along any minute who can advise you on a quality, reliable purchase.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger has some super light and short rifles. I made mine in the 7.62*39 cal.

If you can find a REM 788 it would be an excellent choice,
GG
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
My vote would go for a Ruger Compact in .308.
Rugged, reliable and compact.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The Remington 700 is used by most Police Departments and the United States Armed Forces. Look on WWW.Remington.com and WWW.Remingtonle.com. I am sure you will find what you want. The war between push feed (Remington) and the Mauser style claw extractor, (some Winchester and Ruger) has been going on for years. The war between the states will be forgotten faster. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned CZ rifles.

They only have the standard notch sights but, thats all I can find on commercial rifles anyway.

Heres the link. www.cz-usa.com/

FN also makes some nice rifles. No factory iron sights though.

[edited to add] The link to the american site doesnt seem to be working. So heres the one for the euro site. www.czub.cz/
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
..savage sells the scout and duty models ...check wally mart...ask for closeouts....they may have rem 700 adl synthetic....or maybe a winchester 70 shadow...closeout..or overstock..can be had for about 300.....otherwise..comb the shops for used...lots of em` out there......suggestion...yugo mauser 48....basically unissued...under 200....ammo cheap....not a 308...a little less accurate (maybe)just as reliable more durable..shoot all day for pennies....probably do whatever you need.....can be customized if the urge strikes.......p-s...almost forgot to mention....Howa 1500.....I would never argue with the Ruger or CZ guys....both are great guns....just costly....in my experience....what works....and affordable......savage.....(Howa?).....
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
ZRH,

I, too, love the CZ guns.  Their 7.62 X 39 bolt guns are GORGEOUS.

I have recently sold all of my sporting guns ( except for my smith revolvers ) and am thinking of starting a new sporter collection...based on my experience with past CZ sporting guns...that's where I am gonna start.

People seem to think I am bashing on Remington alot when I discuss their extractors, but the truth is, though many don't fail.....there are ones that do...and the reason they do is because they are cheap and wimpy.  This is much more evident on the magnum bolt face where the extractor is twice as thin as on the standard bolt face....these can and do break.  It doesn't mean the ALWAYS break...but when they do you are stuck with an empty in the chamber...no big deal at the range or if you have a rod handy...but what if it happens if you pop a trophy buck and he doesn't want to go down....that's right about the time ol' Mr Murphy shows up....

I want to state that I love Remington rifles....but based on my experiences...I won't use them for rough scenerios.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top