Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 9:18:59 AM EDT
Ok, so I'm still fairly new to shooting rifles, been shotguns and informal clays mostly before that, got a 30-30 a year ago for fun, got a .22 in april for training, and got the AR finally a few weeks ago.

So since I got the .22, my accuracy has definately improved, and I've been shooting a lot at a State Game Land range in PA, 50 yards. I'm no amazing shot, but from sitting at the bench (no rest beyond my body) and the prone and kneeling positions, I can do well enough to shoot those damn chipmunks that get in our house heh. I'm getting better, and can actually manage 1 inch groups if I take my time and remember breathing, trigger squeeze, and follow through.

So that's not where the problem is. I have my girlfriend shooting with me too, and she really hates how I'm so good at everything it seems, and with the rifles it isn't much better. Her rifle groups look more like shotgun patterns heh.

At 50 yards she is all over the paper, and sometimes not even. I try to stress the fundamentals to her, to breathe properly, take her time, don't rush to shoot, don't get frustrated, hold the rifle properly, and so on. I think part of it doesn't get through just because I'm her boyfriend heh, and the other part I just can't teach so much or spot all her mistakes since I'm fairly new to shooting as well.

So I was wondering what exactly should I do or look for when coaching her? Should I sign us up for a basic rifle marksmanship course and where could I find one in eastern PA, lower NY, or CT?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO beginning shooters do 3 things:
Hold the gun too tight
Hold their breath too much/too long
Jerk at the trigger

Tell her too hold the gun firmly but not tight. No need to put the white-knuckle-grip-o'-death on it.

Explain proper breathing. I was taught to take a breath, exhale 2/3's of it, and squeeze the trigger. Others do it differently. I was teaching this girl I was dating to shoot, she'd hold her breath so long trying to get the target in the bullseye that she'd almost black-out.

Teach her to squeeze the trigger s-l-o-w-l-y. So slow that she should be surprised when the hammer falls.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Often, the WORST person to coach a new shooter is that person's spouse or signficant other.  A third person's advice isn't as easily misconstrued, and is more likely to be followed.  You may be (nicely) reminding her to focus on the front sight, and she may be imagining that you're REALLY mad at her because she turned your new socks pink by washing them with her red sweater.  That may not make sense to a guy, but women experience life through emotions more than through logic, while that's reversed for a man.

The other thing is: teach only ONE point at a time.  Have her practice on doing nothing but holding the rifle properly, with the correct posture, etc.  Don't worry about anything else for a few outings, but just let her get comfortable with that.  Then, she can work on focusing on the front sight for a few times out.  Next, work on her breathing, etc.  Giving too many things to focus on is too overwhelming when she's already worring about being afraid of the gun, and being afraid of you "yelling" at her (even if you aren't yelling, or even impatient).

Teaching is a skill, and like any skill, it takes a lot of practice to get good at it.

-Troy

Heh, yeah, I think that first reason explains a lot. But thanks for that advice on focusing one thing at a time, I think that should help a lot, won't confuse her.

Thanks a lot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top