Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2003 1:39:10 PM EDT
Finaly parting with the Tokarev I've been carrying for so long on Friday, and I need some suggestions for a new sidearm.

I'm seriously thinking about a USP, but I fear I'm going to get raped over the price, while I can buy one for about $500 used through the gun action sites, any FFL that will transfer for me, will murder me with fees so as to make it that I dont pay any less than he sells them for, and everyone around here wants upwards of $700 on the USP.

What I'm hoping to find is a decent USP type, either polymer or standard framed, that WONT cost an arm and a leg. I'd like to get into IPSC shooting too, so a 1911 might be an option, but I'd sort of like something in the 9mm or .40 S&W  chambering.

I love the USP because its well made, fits my hands perfectly, shootsi nice, and, well, this sounds VERY stupid, but its the standard-issue side arm of a Secret UN agency in a Japanese comic I read. Sort of like the Mp5...I like it because "I saw it on TeeVee" :)

I'm seriously looking to a Beretta CX when it comes out here too, so something along the lines of a Taurus or a used 92 or 96 might be in order too...but I just dont know. Been looking at SW99s (I have a couple of Sigmas that I like too but never loved them enough to carry them regularly except the .380 I'll keep on me after my Tokarev gets sold) as well as Steyr M.40s. I think it'd be kinda cool to have a tactical handgun that I could hang a surefire off of.

Last but not least I might actually be considering a Glock and a Carbine kit (stock and  16" bbl with a taclight and red dot sight) in place of the Beretta/Storm combo. In the end I figure them to be about the same cost.

I hated Glocks for a long time, boxy and uncomfortable with no manual safety, I was forced to carry a G17 as a range master and grudgingly learned how accurate it was, and how well it cycled. I still hated the grips. I shot a G30 the other day and am impressed with how much its changed and been refined since the early-commercial G17 I shot. I just need to find one in the $450-$550 price range...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, the USP series of handguns is worth the premium over a Glock or other handguns.

With that being said, the other shooters I spend most of my time with, each also has a Sig P229 .40S&W to compliment their USPc .40.

I am a huge fan of the Sig Classic line, so I am biased, but I can't think of carrying anything other than a Sig Classic or HK USP for CCW or HD.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, what I said still goes, I'm not going to pay $700 because some dealer cant sell them for cheaper...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you must have a USP, skip the variant one. The double action pull is horrible. You'll want to carry it cocked and locked and with the variant one you can accidently de-cock when knocking down the safety. I think it's the variant 10 that you want.

Glocks dominate IDPA SSP for good reason. My 34 works very well.

I never will forget the groan from the instructors at Gunsite when they found out a student had brought a USP variant one to the class. Afterwards the guy swore he would never shoot that pistol again.

Tucson PD was the largest single users of USP pistols. They've decided to dump them for Glocks as their budget allows. Trouble with parts breaking and poor support from HK.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a USP .45acp Compact for my CCL gun. I used to own a Glock 30 & just bought a Glock 32. I intend on selling the 32 now & buying another USP in .357Sig for CCL.

I will NEVER again buy a Glock over a USP. It's like settling for a Buick when you could've had a Mercedes.

As for the decocking, I simply carry mine hammer down, pretty simple.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The full size USP .40 is the favorite in my collection.  I'd highly recomend it.

I picked mine up at a local gun show.  Think I paid $520.  It was used, but in great shape.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, if you want a USP try to find a nice one used. But still be prepared to pay $30 or more for factory mags (and that's low capacity).

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Reb, where in the great state of Washington are you located?  If your on the west side I can suggest a couple of FFL's that will receive and transfer to you for a nominal sum.  

Do you have your concealed carry permit yet?  If not, go and get it tomorrow!  Very easy to get (I assume that you're a law-abiding fellow), and a great asset even if you don't intend to 'carry'.

Finally, if your heart is set on something modern and plastic, check out the Springfield XD.  My fits my hand well, and the mag-well is smaller than any other double-stack pistol that I've tried, making it very easy for someone with small hands to shoot well, like my wife.    As a bonus the factory .40 mags will hold 15 9mm rounds with not adjustment...at least not on mine.

Regards from the left side of the Cascades, Pepper.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I am not a 1911 fan in most regards, but the best CCW gun in my opinion is the Kimber Ultra CDP out of their custom shop.  A local dealer has one used for $629 with Hogue grips as well as the original rosewood grips.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Everett, I do most of my buisness through Lynwood Gun, but he's started to charge 20% on the transfers, and will probably charge big on a gun that he carries regularly for a lot more...

I'm not all togather sold on a new "hi-tech" gun, Like I said, I've got a number of pistols, but I've been carying an old Tokarev 7.63 for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a Walther P99 in .40 that I like every bit as much as my USP and Glock (both of which are in .40 as well.  I really like the .40!)and find that it is as close as I've ever found to a one size fits all pistol due to the changable backstraps.  It's a bit lighter than my USP I think and just feels good in your hand and shoots phenominally well.  Got mine for $527 new.  By comparison I got my USP for about $600 here new.  Check it out.  Everybody who has shot mine now wants one or has purchased one themselves.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd save my milk money and buy me a H&K and get it over with. I could not sell mt Glock fast enough after I bought my first HK.

They might just cost more because they cost more, I got my second one at dealer cost and it was still spendy, since I could get anything I wanted at cost, I also got night sights, two spare mags and they threw in a hat and a spiffy little bag to lock it in(not that it will ever get used).

I'd find a new dealer to work with, any shitball that charges 20% for doing nothing would not get my money.  Locally, transfers are 25 bucks, if you are paying for the gun yourself.

Buy an HK and be happy you did.  Buying something thats "almost" what you want, sucks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Springfield XD
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I'm odd man out... I had a USP and I hated it.  Just didn't like the way it felt in my hand.  I prefer any of the Sig Classic series in the P22X run.  I like my Glock 32 and 27, although the ergonomics are not excellent either.  The HS2000/XD is a good gun.  The P99 is awesome.  A Browning Hipower offers a lot, as does the CZ75.  As I stated above, the Kimer is a most excellent choice as well - it won over this 1911 hater.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
....Another USP lover.
GemologistBLOAT
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, see, I've decided on a SL8 for conversion to a G36. Thats $850 plus $350 for the magwell conversion (cant live without the AR mag option)

So I've got to part with my AK74 before I get a USP, but if I've got the G36, I have to have the USP...
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
..The Steyr polys looked interesting.......priced decent too.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for the XD.  I'm selling my Glock 30 to get one.  The HK USP has a bore axis that is too high, IMO, for competition.  The muzzle flip compared to a Glock is going to be excessive.  The Glocks do well in competition (I like the 34) but there are some things about them I don't like.  Sounds like you already decided against Glock though.  The P7 would also be something to consider.

You can count me as an ex-USP fan.  I had a USP .40 and it was uncomfortable and unremarkable.  The grip could have been better, the trigger could have been much better.  I did like the mag release and the manual safety, but they weren't unique enough to keep the gun.  I also didn't much care for the way the decocker would occasionally get stuck and be impossible to activate.  They are good guns on the whole -- I think the Compacts are a big improvement, and the P2000 shoots even better... I may pick up one of those.  But they have gotten way too expensive.  What I paid $450 for four years ago is now $700.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends what feels best to you.  If you like the H&K, and have tried enough others to be sure it's best, then bite the bullet (couldn't resist) and go for it.  I like my S&W 945, both full size and micro (which is what I usually carry).  Some don't like 1911 style guns, but mine feels just right.  Not everyone's hand is the same.  Once you get to a certain level of quality (especially the range being discussed in this thread) it's all feel and training.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Gave a Para-Ord P14 double-stack and a Springfield Armory GI 1911 type a run the other night (100 rnds each) in addition to shooting a NIB full size USP. Now I want one of each :( So much for comparison shopping....about the only gun I didnt care for was the Walther, but that was just a matter of having the wrong grip pannels in her I'm sure. It didnt feel right in my hand.

My buddy at the range offered me a LNIB full sized USP-9 with one 10rnd and one high-cap for "a little over $500"....an excellent deal for a nice gun. Still, I'm going to hit one more BIG gun store this morning before making up my mind. I'm at least getting a rifle and a pistol today...who knows, maybe I go retro and end up with a 1911 and a Garand before the day is out...
BlamBlamBlamBlamBlamBlamBlamBlam-KA-CHIIIING. Krik-SNAP...BlamBlam
(Garand rapid fire/reload)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top