Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 5:40:08 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has a Springfield M1A, and spent big bucks on a Generation 3 mount and Springfield scope.

Well, he hasn't had any luck with the set up. Apperently the scope mount keeps coming loose. I know he likes this gun alot, and I'd hate to see him get to discouraged.

Can somebody recommend a better scope mount for the M1A?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Shamus, the scope mounting problems with the M1A is one of the reasons I don't own one anymore.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like i've got the exact setup.

Springfield 3rg gen scope and mount.

Key is to make sure both screws are tight. hand tight doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been real happy with the A.R.M.S. #18, #19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
So why the need for two mounts (#18, and #19a)? Is one simply a riser?

Man, you'd think there would be more responses to this thread. Or maybe there just isn't an easy solution?

I hadn't even thought about ARMS, but considering their quality on AR stuff, that my be the best bet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Shamus,

This is a whole can of worms.  There are those who are  happy with their scoped M1As, then there some like me who think there is no appropriate way to mount an optic on an M1A.  Here is why.

First, lots of scope mounts won't stay on.  This can be solved with the ARMs setup above, or a Brookfield, or a Smith Enterprise.  All of them WILL stay in place.  Problem is, this doesn't solve some of the inherent problems of the M1A and optics.

Assuming you install correctly, the mount will stay in place.  You can zero a scope.  It will stay in place.  Here is where the problems begin.

1)  Cheekweld.  there is no way in hell a proper cheekweld can be made on a M1A stock while looking through an optic mounted on any of the above mounts.  TOO high.  The only solution is to get a stock with adjustable cheekpeice, or add a cheekpeice to the stock.  The latter of course makes the irons unusable in an emergency.  In any case, the scope is lots higher than the bore.  Not an optimul sniper type weapon.

2)  Ejection.  Brass is ejected through the small space remaining between the scope mount, and stock.  If you  ejector isn't perfectly tuned you get spent cases jamming the works.  

3)   Cleaning.  The M1A is easy to clean without a scope.    But,  with a scope there, complications.  And removing the scope mount is not an option.  The ARMs solution might be an improvement on the one peice Smith unit I had.  I don't know as I never had one.

Bottom line, there are some of us who don't think the M1A is suitable for scoping.  Obviously there are alternate opinions.

If I were determined to put a scope on mine again I am pretty sure I would get the ARMs setup and a scope with a  small and low profile to get as low as I could.  The I'd buy a stock with built in adjustable cheekpeice.  Springfield Armory has one.

However, I have decided that this rifle is a classic that does not require or improve with optics.  For me, the standard traditional mode will remain.  I will use a FAL or AR10 if I want a semiauto 308 with a scope.

My two cents.  here is my baby.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The SA 3rd gen mount is a total piece of shit. Any company that expects you to put a mount onto a rifle that costs $1000-2500 and up, and then "hit it with a hammer" (says to right in the mounting instructions-no shit) to mate the mount to the receiver needs to re-think their design. Tell your friend he needs to get an ARMS #18.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tell your friend he needs to get an ARMS #18.

I second that. I got a 3rd generation mount for my Norinco M14, I never even mounted it. I took one look at it after I opened the package, then I sent it back. Turned around and ordered an ARMS #18 (the old style) and a set of their QD rings with ring inserts. In retrospect I could probably have gotten lower rings than the ones I got, but hey...

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So why the need for two mounts (#18, and #19a)? Is one simply a riser?

The #18 is the actual mount, and the #19a is a QD platform to which you can mount your rings.

I was contemplating this setup myself, but opted to go with the #18 and their QD rings instead, as it provides more clearence for ejecting brass etc. I can live with brass hitting the adjustment knob-cover on my scope.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]
raf,

I would have to try the  DSA cheek p eice.  I had the Fulton Arms one and it sucked for me.  Never found one I liked.  This was the biggest problem for me.  No way to get a cheekweld.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I went with  BlackHawk Tactical Cheek Pad - Adjust HawkTex and it works great!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#13]
There is another option, though pricey:
Get a McMillan M3A stock (which I've been thinking about getting for myself) with an adjustable cheekpiece.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I have to confess the DSA part and McMillan stock might work.  But I still think it is forcing a tool to do something it wasn't meant to.

As a MBR  I feel the M14/M1A is an e xcellent and historical weapon.  With iron sights I know I can hit a battle sized target at 600 yards.  Can't say that with a lot of weapons.

But, if you are putting a scope on a .308 rifle you are stepping into a  whole new level of precision desired IMO.  Might as well start with a better platform.  And candidly, the AR10 is way  better for accuracy and mounting a scope.  IMO.  Here is what I would use if I needed a semiauto scoped .308.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But, if you are putting a scope on a .308 rifle you are stepping into a  whole new level of precision desired IMO.  Might as well start with a better platform.  And candidly, the AR10 is way  better for accuracy and mounting a scope.  IMO.  Here is what I would use if I needed a semiauto scoped .308.

Yep !

(My brother went through Marine Corps boot camp with the M-14 (Was handed an M-16 when he got to Vietnam) and for that reason wanted my M1A1.  I gave that rifle to him along with the Gen III mount and Leupold scope and stayed with my AR-10's.)
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The best solution to the check weld problems with the scoped M14 is the same solution the Marine Corp used to use. Cut up a USGI foam sleeping mat and stack it on the stock to the correct hieght, then secure with 100MPH tape.

I have had no problems with my 3rd generation mount. Nothing about my Scoped M1A is pretty or sexy, except that it will keep every shot inside 1.5" at 200 yards, all day long.

My buddy is a graduate of Gunsites precision rifle class, and shoots a $2,800.00 custom rifle built on the 700 Rem action. I can hit any target he can hit out to 400 meters. past that he cleans my clock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top