Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 5:54:43 PM EDT
Looking at getting a .22 pistol for cheap practice...blah blah blah...

YES!  I done the search and read previous threads...overall opinions seem to favor the Rugers...blah blah blah....

I am simply looking for fresh opinions out there.  Anyone?

I KNOW the 22/45 is nifty as the ergonomics approximate a 1911...yet the MkII still has one helluva following.

Lay it on me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Six of one and half-a-dozen of another. They're the same basic pistol and can be accessorized and customized the same. If you have a chance to shoot both, choose the one that feels most comfortable or you're able to shoot best.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a mkII slabside and the GF has the 22/45. I shoot alot of 1911s and still prefer the  mkII.
I like the balance better and you can't argue with the asthetics of the steel grip frame vs the black plastic.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
but the mkII european mag release sucks.
Its a toss-up!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I just sold my browning to get [another]22 45.
Buckmark sure had a nice trigger and pointed naturally for me. The ruger is, i now think, better in the long haul[ durable, extraction, etc] and for me the 22 45 points.
Browning should not have been quite so cheap with a few flawed bits.  My .02
 Also, it is interesting many complain about dissassembly difficulties with ruger 22's. More interesting is that when they figure it out the pistol seems to survive the learning curve.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're a 1911 guy (or if about $100 makes a material difference), go with the .22/45. If not, it's a toss up. Both will serve you for a lifetime.

And my opinion should be considered to be worth exactly what you paid for it...
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...and you can't argue with the asthetics of the steel grip frame vs the black plastic.

Ditto. Mines a bullpup barrel with wood grip panels. BEAUTIFUL!

Edited to add:

...but the mkII european mag release sucks.

Boomholzer is right in this regard....
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:26:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a slabside that I switched all internals from stock to Power Custom before even putting a round through it.  I also put the SS Comp and Volthane grips on it.  THE most accurate pistol I have ever personally fired.  It is even more accurate than a friends Benelli and Unique match guns.

Given that, I have been looking for another mkII as a plinker for my family, since the slabside is too heavy for my wife and kids.  I just passed up a deal on a used 22/45 cuz I can't make that change.  I love the grip angle of the mkII, even though I have 2 Kimbers that I shoot all the time.

JMHO
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an old Mark I target with an ultra-dot on top.  I had some trigger work done to it.

It is one sweet shooter...
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]
blah,blah,blah, if you have read all the opinions like you said you did, then you should already know which one you are getting........
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]

blah,blah,blah, if you have read all the opinions like you said you did, then you should already know which one you are getting........

I guess you can now be classified as a non-constructive troll.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mines a bullpup barrel with wood grip panels. BEAUTIFUL!

I've actually got one of those.  Here's a photo of it:

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have sources for mkII butt-stocks that attack to the grip panel?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mines a bullpup barrel with wood grip panels. BEAUTIFUL!

I've actually got one of those.  Here's a photo of it:

grahamcracka.dns2go.com/mkii.jpg

Ehhhhhhhhhh....... No.

More like:

WTF did yours come from?  

Edited to add: Oh. PhotoShop. Duh.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, you did say "bullpup."  Anything for a cheap laugh.

Besides I'm pretty bored.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd really like one of those mkII pistol carbine stocks.

Heres mine:
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I sold traded mine in on a 1911......I still have the same grip style and a better gun....
besides that I had bought the walther p-22 and it was getting ALL the ammo....about as much fun as you can have with tyour clothes on...if I want to shoot target I just get my 10/22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top