Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 7:22:46 AM EDT
The Big 5 in my area is advertising Marlin 1894 .357 for $299.99.

I called and asked for the exact model number and the response was: "1894CH357"

Marlin's website lists an "1894C". (Apparently the ported option has been discontinued which is fine with me.)

My questions are:
1. Does this seem like a decent price?
2. Is this a special model for Big 5?

Thanks,
Don.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
big 5 usually gets specials such as unique guns just for them.

down here they had (i think ) a winchester that came in 30/30 357 44 I would rather have that
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'ev always believed the prefect self defense rifle would be a short lever action rifle.  Thanks to old westerns, most peopel have a positive impression of lever guns.  Very PC yet very effective in the pistol calibers (9-10 rounds in the magazine).

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
This sounds like a blast to shoot.[I wouldnt want a ported one either].  I do know that marlin has supported customers with superior service and would consider that a bargin.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the ported 1894s in 357... It's a fun little gun that is lightweight and accurate too.  The porting doesn't make a difference either way to me.

IT shoots really good. If I hold at the head/chin at 120 yards I can put them all in the middle of the chest (357 158 samsom JHP's) Of course the first thing to go on any lever action is the standard sights; I replaced mine with a set of Ashley Outdoors Ghost Ring Sights. What a difference in accuracy that made.

Buy it. You'll like It and that's a great price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one and its a lot of fun to shoot.  Also look at the Ashley Outdoors scout scope mount.  Then use a Leupold or Burris Scout scope (2.75x). Scope mounts forward of the receiver, and you shoot with both eyes open.  Very quick.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate marlin with a passion.

I would get a winchester 94 in .357.

You can find thme now and then for $300. typically a bit higher, but if you keep your eyes open, you find em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top