Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 7:43:03 PM EDT
i have a 8mm mauser(m48)and want to put a scope on it. im pretty good with the iron sights and i just want to reach out and touch something. so my question is where can i get some scope mounts for my rifle?what kind do i need to get?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Take the gun to a local gunsmith, and have him drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount. Before you do that though, look through Brownell's web site, and see what they have for the Mauser. Buy a mount, and take it to the smith with you. Easy, peasy, Japanesey.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Mudzilla,

I just picked up a barreled action and beater stock from a guy who needed cash.  He had already had the muzzle cut and recessed and a new bent bolt handle installed.  I just took it to my smith and he drilled and tapped the reciever to accept standard Weaver bases #46 for the front and #45 for the rear.  Hope this helps.

JH94
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks. about how much did it cost? i know the prices arent going to be the same but i just want to know what price range its going to be in
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't need to drill and tap the receiver!  Don't run such a cool old gun!  My friend used a scope mount that replaces the rear iron sight and needs no drilling of the recevier.  With a Leupold on there the Mauser's groups tightened up considerably and the combination has held its zero for hundreds of rounds now.  

www.iron-elite.com/
www.iron-elite.com/m48y.html

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks! im gonna have to get that
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Took this pic awhile back of my buddy and his M48.  This will help give scale to the mount, its pretty darn big, and offset a bit to the left so the bolt doesn't have to be modified.

Anyone who doesn't get one of these Mausers soon is going to be sorry later when they triple in price.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i like it. i talked to my dad and got his opinion about it. he thinks it will do good.
i paid around 280 or something for my mauser. i want to get one in better condition. mine has dings and small scrapes all over the stock. but that just might be because its like 50 years old lol

http://www.mitchellsales.com/ heres a webiste with mausers, lugers and some other stuff
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You don't need to drill and tap the receiver!  Don't run such a cool old gun!  My friend used a scope mount that replaces the rear iron sight and needs no drilling of the recevier.  With a Leupold on there the Mauser's groups tightened up considerably and the combination has held its zero for hundreds of rounds now.  

www.iron-elite.com/
www.iron-elite.com/m48y.html

www.iron-elite.com/m48_rear.jpg

Duke, that's a fine mount !
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
a drilled and tapped mauser is a worthless mauser to me.  that is, unless it was originally a sniper.  i'd go witht he iron elite mount.  don't ruin a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't drill and tap a collectible gun, and I have actually refused to do it to Nazi and other collectibles customers have brought to me throught the years.  I have done several Yugos for folks though.  I charge $40, and that price includes the front and rear bases.  Forging and polishing of the bolt handle runs $30.  That should give you something to go by if you take that route.  

BTW, the Yugo is an intermediate length 98 action, and requires the barrel face to be milled for the ectractor.  It does not lend itself well to conversions to other calibers.  If you ever decide to build up a custom gun, find a Czech VZ24. They are cheap and have little collector value, yet are made of high quality steel.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice setup.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]

i paid around 280 or something for my mauser. i want to get one in better condition. mine has dings and small scrapes all over the stock. but that just might be because its like 50 years old lol

$280? I paid $120 for my Yugo M48 (with bayonet) about a year ago in pretty good condition. Then I picked up a Spanish M48 for $75 that was in questionable condition that I cleaned up and refinished.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#13]
lordweji, tell me about your enfield.  Where and when did you get it?  I'm looking for a nice one, not sure whether I want a No. 1 or a No. 4.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a No 1 Mark III* manufactured in 1966 in India. Picked it up from a local shop who has stockpiles of them (I believe he does internet orders too) for $100. Excellent bore, all matching numbers. Stock is in good shape physically, no dings or scratches at all. The blueing is very very slightly beginning to fade on the forward sight and receiver.

Overall, I love it. The same dealer I purchased from has a huge surplus of .303 ammo so I can get 100 rounds for less than $20 and have a field day.

I'll probably end up getting a No 4 sometime soon as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top