Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 11:03:12 AM EDT
When someone else (Media, etc.,etc.) says "clip" we all get in a big fuss, but when one of the ar15 members says "clip" instead of magazine, nobody seems to notice or care? Not bashing on anyone, but I just noticed this.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen many members get   for calling a "magazine" a "clip". We do our best to stop the useage of improper firearm related terminology. Please cite the latest infraction and we will have someone on it ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, i've been noticing people (he/she who shall not be named) calling a magazine a clip. Hmmmm, time to crack down I guess, especially with the AWB sunset coming up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still trying to understand why people care...and is it a weapon or a gun?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people dont know $hit. But they have good gun nomenclature. This is the only thing they are good at, and the will let you know it when you screw up. Kinda like on a camera site.  "Its not a roll, moron, it a spool.". Basically its ther 15 minutes of fame and probably the only time their right.

Most people understand whats going on. If one says "I had your wifes cat last night" you know whats being said. Or do I have to use "vagina", so you will understand.
GG
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
This has always seemed like a bit of nonsensical anal retentiveness to me. To be REALY nit-picky, the only folks who get realy upset about it are usually the ones who are actually wrong.

Clips were first successfully marketed by Count Ferdinand von Mannlicher and consisted of spring-steel metal clips that held a set number of shells. The cartridge was plugged into a hole in the stock of the weapon one way or another, usually through an open action, and a spring loaded arm held pressure on the rounds after the first was stripped off by the bolt going forward, thus supplying a fresh round after each working of the bolt. When empty the clip was discharged either through the top of the action as in a Garand, or through a slit in the floor plate like in Berthier-Mannlicher or Comission Model 1888 rifles.

Eventually the clip itself was reduced to two different things. The first being machined lips into the action of the rifle, and the feeder arm became a follower plate. Thus no longer removable this setup became called a magazine after a FIXED position on a fort or a ship where shells or ball and powder were stored.

The second device was still a clip that contained the rounds before insertion into the weapon, however instead of relying upon a seperate feeder arm found in the weapon itself, it contained its own pressure-maintaining device. Usually a coil spring, however others have been used.

The devide most folks call a clip today isnt a clip at all, it is a charger. Unlike a clip, its sole purpose in the vast majority of weapons it was used in was to top off, or refil the internal, fixed magazine. In a few weapons like the M14 and the VZ58, it was to top off a clip inserted in the weapon. While a nice idea, obviously a redundant one. Like a transmission on a car that can operate in both manual and automatic mode. Fun and useful in theory, but somewhat usless in practice.

While its true today the terminology has changed a little, ultimatly, historically, a clip is a block of rounds, weather self-contained or not, designed to feed the action of a weapon until empty, and then be changed out for a fresh "clip" of ammunition. (For refrence the first self-contained clip was employed on the M.1891 Mausers to escape pattent (sp?) infringement on Mannlicher's clip employed on M.88 Steyr straight-pull rifles)

A charger is a block of rounds ment to charge a fixed magazine and then be discarded before the weapon is employed.

A magazine is a fixed part of a weapon generally found in hunting rifles, shotguns, and obsolete battle-rifles.

I can back my facts up, so before you tell me I'm wrong..... :)
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I used the term "stripper clip" to clarify that i did indeed mean a clip and not a magazine. I got ripped for that.

I guess you jsut cna't make some people happy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm still trying to understand why people care...and is it a weapon or a gun?

...it's a 'firearm'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top