Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 9:02:37 PM EDT
I just completly broke down and cleaned my Remington 760 Gamemaster .30/06 (pump action). While putting it back together, I had some problems. The biggest one was the ejection port cover wouldn't stay on. But after I got it all put back together, I chambered a round and ejected it a few times to see how smooth it was. I looked at the round and noticed the rim was pretty scratched and burred. Is this really bad? I never really examened spent cases before, so I'm not sure if this normal. Any advice is great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
After you clean it, Be VERY sure the weapon is UN-loaded, and perform a function check before you even think about testing function with live ammo!

Having said that, a lot of self-loaders and pumps scrape up the cases pretty bad on chambering & ejection, so it's probably normal for that rifle. The case head gets a beating because the extractor is under a pretty fair amount of spring pressure, and is forced over the rim when the round is chambered.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I did a full function check, believe me!! My parents would KILL me if I put a 150 grain bullet in the house!! Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Hickboy, I feel I am somewhat responsible for this thread. Remember, not too long ago? When i took mine apart? It took around 45 minutes to get everything in line again.   (read: Dust cover).
I used a "Scunchy" (one of those hair things my daughter uses) to hold the barrel and pump tube together and feed that in with one hand. With the other hand I aligned the bolt/dust cover assy.
Then with the Gripping Hand turned the tube to secure everything.
For the feed/function test i used some dummys i had. Be very careful using live rounds as they will go through several walls! (as you know)
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
RogerBall, I remember the last post. I'm really worried about how I put it back together. After I got it all put back together, the bolt just fell out of the mag well when I turned the rifle over. I fixed that, I think. But my real question is, how does the dust cover go in? It doesn't lock into anything!! I think I got it, but i'm not sure. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You are right it does not lock into anything and therein lies the problem.
One must: get the action arms in their slots, while engaging the bolt body lugs into their slots (remember to unlock the bolt face), While the dust cover just kind of sits there in its recess.  There are "ears" either on the action arms or the bolt itself, i forget which, one towards the front (which shoves the dust cover back) and one toward the rear (which shoves it forward into place again).  They are seperated by more space than the dust cover is long (so the cover is closed while the bolt is unlocking), so they don't grip it and if it slides out of the little track it has (on the inside of the reciever) you're screwed and must start again.
Look good and hard at the pieces.  Slide only the dust cover back and forth inside the reciever body and grock its motion. Then do the same for the bolt assy with or without the action arms.  It also must stay within its groove (and lock and unlock).  You will notice that the firing pin becomes the ejector within the last 1/8 inch of rearward  travel. And of course if it falls out that's wrong  :-)

It took me a while to do and i have lots of experience with machines and things.  Just go slow and understand how EACH part works and when.

If you need more help tell me i'll help anyway i can.  Maybe we should move off the list though, PM me if you need to.
Good Luck

Edited to say: the "ears" are really a lug and it impinges on the underside of the cover, the cover itself is longer and has ears on its inside face.    Oops, that's what i get for typing at work.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I got the dust cover to stay in. Good thing too because i'm going shooting on Sat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top