Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 4:21:05 PM EDT
A fellow member is stationed here in MD for a while and I am storing his firearms in my safe while he is living on base.

Ofcourse I like to know what I am storing so I had to take a peek in the cases.

I saw a BEAUTIFUL M1 Carbine that I fell in love with!!! Since in MD its a hassle to buy semi-auto rifles I can bypass all that state Bullshit since I have a C&R if I buy a C&R eligible M1.

What I am asking is , what should I look to pay for a C&R M1 carbine? Are there brands I should look out for.

Please, M1 owners. Enlighten me!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, but I want one too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't know, but I want one too.

Yeah, I have never seen them except for at gunshows. And I didnt even hold the M1 there.

Now that I have, I cant belive how light they are! Well, if you are able to come out on the 11th he(Adam_White) will probably be there and maybe let us shoot it. I WANT TO SHOOT IT!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW:

Looking around on  a few of the auctions I have seen some C&R M1's for around $400. They weren't in all that great shape though.

Damn, I was hoping to find something in the low $300's
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Carbines are all going for $400 & up now. IIRC, Mil-Tech & others sell theirs for close to $900.

They're not C&R but AVOID the "Universal" brand. They're a POS.

My carbine is a Postal Meter brand.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Damn, I was hoping to find something in the low $300's

Good Luck!
Its not impossible to find a USGI for $300 but it would definitely be from someone that doesn't know what Carbines are selling for.

More likely , You're going to pay at least $450-$500 for an Inland in reasonable condition and thats where the pricing starts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I got very lucky. I picked up an USGI Inland M1 made in 1943 in very good condition for $300.00 bucks. Import marked (EXEL, Gardner, Ma. Though I haven't been able to fond out anything about that company) but all GI parts. It was armory updated (Has bayonet mount and lever type safety) but still all GI.
Like I said, I got lucky...

Editted to add;
I bought it from a gunshop too! As for more info about M1 carbines try www.jouster.com everything you might want to know about any US issue rifle can be found there just by asking.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that the U.S.M1 Carbine is a C&R firearm. You need ffl assist in transaction. Would agree that between $450-500 would be the
price of one in reasonable cond.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]

I don't think that the U.S.M1 Carbine is a C&R firearm.

All M1 Carbines manufactured during WWII are definitely C&R. As a matter of fact, all small arms made during WWII are C&R elligible even the Class III stuff.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't think that the U.S.M1 Carbine is a C&R firearm. You need ffl assist in transaction. Would agree that between $450-500 would be the
price of one in reasonable cond.

The C&R list only lists firearms that are not yet 50 years old which have specifically been given C&R status.

Any firearm over 50 years old, thus manufactured before 1953, is automatically a C&R item.

I believe almost all of the USGI M1's will fall into this category.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW, I believe the CMP is selling some now. I can't tell you anymore about it except to try www.odcmp.com
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
BTW, I believe the CMP is selling some now. I can't tell you anymore about it except to try www.odcmp.com

www.odcmp.com

Well, it looks like they dont even deal with the M1 CARBINE:

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/index.htm
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#12]

CMP Club Rifle Sales
The CMP offers various types of rifles to eligible CMP affiliated organizations.  If your club is interested in this program, please download the CMP Club Rifle Sales Application. Quantity and type of rifles authorized for club purchase are based on the types of programs offered by your organization and current available inventory.  

Over the past 50 years, most M1 rifles have been arsenal rebuilt, refinished, rebarreled or repaired at least once and probably several times.  Most will show signs of service (often considerable) and replacement of various parts.  They are seldom encountered with all original parts and original finish as delivered from the manufacturer.  Such "original" rifles, even in well-used condition, are highly prized by collectors.  Do not expect new or original condition in any grade purchased.  All M1 Garand rifles are shipped with sling, safety manual and one eight-round clip.  The CMP offers the following grades/variations of the M1 Garand at discounted prices to CMP affiliated organizations::

WINCHESTER .22 CALIBER MODEL 52-D TARGET RIFLES

ITEM #
RIFLE CLUB PRICE
R025D  Winchester M52D  $337.50  

A quantity of government-surplus Winchester M52D Target smallbore rifles will be available for purchase by clubs beginning on June 16, 2003 and by individuals, beginning on July 14, 2003. Some of these rifles will be available for purchase at the CMP Store at Camp Perry, beginning on July 14.  The Winchester M52D Target rifle has a single shot action, 28 inch round heavy barrel and “micro-motion” adjustable trigger.  Target stocks are of several different configurations, but all have an accessory rail. Rifles do not have front or rear sights.  Rifles do not have any accessories such as slings, butt plate hooks or hand stops. These rifles are returns from ROTC and other U.S. Army marksmanship programs. Rifles are used and show normal wear. Stocks exhibit minor dings, dents, and scratches.

Stocks may be refinished and/or may have rack or unit markings.  Metal finish is good, but some scratches, bluing wear, and minor pitting may be present. Rifle bores may show lead fouling, but should clean up nicely. All rifles are U.S. property marked (scribed, not stamped).

There are only several hundred of these rifles in current inventory. Because of the limited quantity, CMP is giving affiliated clubs an opportunity to purchase some of these rifles before we begin accepting orders from individuals. Beginning on June 16, 2003, only club orders will be processed. Beginning on July 14, 2003, individual orders will be processed. This model also will be available at the CMP North store during the National Matches as long as quantities last. All sales are subject to available supplies. Sales are on a first come—first served basis.

The CMP store will not hold rifles for pick up. There are no individual or club purchase limits. The price for these Winchester M52D rifles is $375 plus $20.95 S&H. Clubs receive the standard 10% affiliate discount for government surplus rifle orders.  

M1 GARAND SERVICE GRADE

ITEM #
RIFLE CLUB PRICE
R001SA  M1 Garand, Springfield Armory  $450.00  
R001HRA  M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson  $472.50  

Genuine U.S. Government rifles manufactured 45 to 60 years ago and condition varies greatly from very good to very well worn. Most have been rebuilt/refinished one or more times while in military service and have seen heavy use by military personnel. That use is exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the Parkerized finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts, especially on the receiver under the wood; wood that is basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks and may be well used with nicks, bruises and gouges; the three wood components may vary in type of wood (walnut and birch) and condition; components may be a combination of various manufacturers and from different time periods; a barrel that is used, but with a gauged throat erosion of less than 5 that is well within U.S. Army standards. These may not be pretty rifles, but each is authentic. Selection above only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. All other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers. Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

NOTE:  Service Grade Less Wood - Option no longer offered.

M1 GARAND SERVICE GRADE - DANISH ISSUE
ITEM #
RIFLE CLUB PRICE
R002SA  M1 Garand - Danish Issue, Springfield Armory  $360.00  
R002SAV  M1 Garand - Danish Issue, Springfield Armory with VAR Barrel  $382.50  
R002WRA  M1 Garand - Danish Issue, Winchester  $382.50  

Same as Service Grade above, except these rifles were loaned to the Danish Government and later returned to the U.S. Army. These rifles are identical to the Service Grade, but may have some Italian or Danish replacement parts. Stocks may be either Walnut, Birch or European Beech. All receivers are either Springfield or Winchester and rifles do not have import marks. Some of these Danish Issue rifles have VAR barrels that are prized by competitive shooters.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

M1903 SPRINGFIELD RIFLES
ITEM #
RIFLE CLUB PRICE
R030SHS  M1903 - High Serial Numbered Springfield - with S stock  $360.00

These rifles are not new from manufacturer and some have seen considerable use.  All appear to have been rebuilt at one time or another.  Many appear to not have been fired since being rebuilt.  Rifles are coated in grease or cosmoline and will require a thorough cleaning after purchase.  CMP has inspected each rifle for completeness and headspace.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

M1903A3 SPRINGFIELD RIFLES
ITEM #
RIFLE CLUB PRICE
R031REMS  M1903A3 - Remington - with S stock  $360.00

These rifles are not new from manufacturer and some have seen considerable use.  All appear to have been rebuilt at one time or another.  Many appear to not have been fired since being rebuilt.  Rifles are coated in grease or cosmoline and will require a thorough cleaning after purchase.  CMP has inspected each rifle for completeness and headspace.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

MOSSBERG MODEL 44 U.S. - SOLD OUT
KIMBER MODEL 82 .22LR
ITEM #
RIFLE CLUB PRICE
R020  Kimber Model 82 (Government)  $540.00

These rifles were produced for the U.S. Army between 1987 and 1990.  Although these are still in the original manufacturer's packaging and have never been used, many of the stocks have a light scratch or razor cut from when the protective bags were opened to conduct serial number inventory in the mid-90's.  This is a minor cosmetic deficiency that detracts slightly from the appearance, but does not effect the functioning of the rifle.  This single shot .22LR has an overall weight of 10.75 lbs, a length of 43 inches, an adjustable trigger, three butt plate spacers, and a hand stop assembly.  Rifle is complete with a Kimber rear aperature sight, a front sight with ten inserts, and the original technical manual.  These rifles are shipped as received by the CMP.  Shipping and Handling $20.95 per rifle.

Picture of Kimber

M1 CARBINE
Club Carbine Sales Suspended. Effective March 24, 2003 the CMP is temporarily discontinuing carbine sales. Although there is still a large quantity in inventory, recent experience has shown that the remaining carbines require inspection and repair to prepare them for sale. Many are missing rear sights, have broken stocks or handguards, or other defects. Sales will resume when the carbine inspection & repair program is completed.  Since most carbine repair parts are not currently available in CMP inventory, we expect it will be several months before carbines are again offered. Any orders for carbines received after March 24, 2003 will be returned.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]

M1 CARBINE
Club Carbine Sales Suspended. Effective March 24, 2003 the CMP is temporarily discontinuing carbine sales. Although there is still a large quantity in inventory, recent experience has shown that the remaining carbines require inspection and repair to prepare them for sale. Many are missing rear sights, have broken stocks or handguards, or other defects. Sales will resume when the carbine inspection & repair program is completed.  Since most carbine repair parts are not currently available in CMP inventory, we expect it will be several months before carbines are again offered. Any orders for carbines received after March 24, 2003 will be returned.

Well, they did...
If they wait long enough to resume then maybe I can have enough saved to pick up another...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
GI Carbine prices can very greatly depending on originality/ condition amd rarity of manufacturer. Import in good condition start at around $ 300 if you can find one for sale !
I picked up 2 carbines this month, A low serial # Inland Blue Sky for $ 450 and a nice mostly correct National Postal Meter Arlington import for $ 350. And all I can say is I bitched about how expensive Carbines were when I paid only $ 165 for a IBM 10 years ago !!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid $500 for a 1943 all original Standard Products M1 Carbine two years ago.  I buy Standard Products nomenclature mags whenever I can find them as well as SP mags for shooting, although I've yet to fire it.  I've got a second Standard Products M1 Carbine but it's not correct and the barrel has a bayonet lug on it, I plan to put a repro paratrooper stock on it and make it my shooter.  I believe I paid $400 for this carbine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Bear in mind that the CMP info you see pertains only to sales to CMP affiliated clubs.  I don't think they cell Carbines to individuals, but you may want to call and find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top