Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 6:46:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That could be interesting.... What kind of price range are you looking at?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about a sliding/locking system for instant adjustment, like the iron sights on a Mauser or Mosin, or are you talking about just a sloping rail where a seperate quick-detach mount would be needed to physically move the red dot forward and back?  

With the accuracy potential of most red-dots, which are usually 1MOA or greater in size, I'm afraid you may have the answer to a question that nobody is asking.  Just being perfectly honest, like I was when I praised your Beretta recoil system.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that would be a greta product as long as it was priced right!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep it simple, with less presets.  You definately wouldn't need a preset for 10 yds and then another for 50 yds, even on a subcaliber weapon. And since the size of the dot on most electronic sights would obscure the target at any decent range, you may want the farthest up preset to compensate to 400 yards or so, but any more would probably be a waste.

I'd like to see something like this not so much for the red-dots as for a fixed power scope.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Denny, it's a good idea, but I don't know how effective it would be. Once you get the hang of them, the red-dots are pretty easy to range with accurately (at least on man-sized targets). Maybe you could do something like a dial-wheel adjustment (ala, the ELCAN mount), with 4 settings (50, 100, 200, 300). That would make it quick, and pretty well "grunt-proof".
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
It's user programmable for each preset?  That would be awesome!  No more 'pretty close' BDC cams, You could sight in at every range you like, set the device and not have to wonder if the designers ballistics matched what your rifle and ammo actually produce. You'd know that at least drop would be dead on, so you just have to allow for windage.

I'm curious about repeatability though. The presets would have to be pretty precise, as well as adjustable, but also handle being on a firearm without losing zero, which is a tall order.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It's probably a saleable idea - I have one on the front sight of my S&W 686.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been involved in testing a similar concept in an operational scenario a few years ago...

What we found was that no matter how 'slick' or smart the concept was...and at first introduction it is...when it come to using it, Well, we DIDN'T!

After a little thinking we realized that no matter what the benefit of that concept is..to implement it we had to break visual contact with our intended target, make sure we were "on" with the elevation setting, adjust if necessary, then attempt to reaquire the target to engage it.

Three things worked against that concept...

First, there was a general consensus that once we got our eyes on a threat/target...we needed a pretty important reason to INTENTIONALLY look away...and an incremental increase in accuracy wasn't it. Second, we weren't going to give up the time it takes to make the adjustment...again, for what is just an incremental improvement in accuracy. Third, we weren't going to compromise either concealment or shooting position to make that adjustment either.

Sincerely, we tried many times to come up with a viable application for such a concept...we had some, but they involved more than just an zero-adjusting mount.

That isn't to say it won't sell...I believe it would...but in my experienced opinion, it won't stay on truly 'serious' weapons for long.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used a similar set-up on a bow called a "Sight Master" and was pleased with it. But then again, the deer weren't shooting back at me either.

I just chose my own distances and set it for them. I always keep it set for short distance in case a deer moved in to quickly for me to adjust. If the deer was out farther, I would have time to make the adjustment to a longer range.

I would assume that the same concept could be carried over to a firearm. A shooter could determine his maximum range and divide that distance by 7 to get his adjustment settings. It would be nice for the range, but I'll let others more qualified in tactical and military situations give their feedback.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top