Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 4:50:25 PM EDT
Is this something I should try to do myself or no?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It isn't hard, but requires patience and investment in stuff.

A buffing wheel to get the parts as smooth as possible before bluing - almost mirror finish.

An open-air place to do bluing. You do not want to breath the fumes.

A cleaning tank with burner to get the cleaning solution hot.

A bluing tank with burner.

A rinse tank to wash off the salts.

Water displacing oil and preservative.

Everything you need can be bought from Brownells. All the goodies come with instructions. The "first step bluing kit" runs $526.42
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh hell, I thought I could buy a "wal-mart special" kit and re-blue this pistol I have myself.

I guess I will just send it off for someone else to do it.

Thanks for posting though!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of sheer boredom, I blued the barrel of my EEA Witness, using a cold blue I bought at Wal-Mart. Came out pretty good, too. I don't know if I'd try to do more than small parts with it, though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The "do it yourself kits" are okay for touch up, but the bluing on my full gun project didn't hold up too well. And yes, I followed the instructions to the letter.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, you can do it yourself with a minimum of equipment, well under $100.  And you may even be lucky and have most of the stuff already.

I have a detailed write-up on my page.

www.geocities.com/kemays/formula.htm

Cold blue has its place... in out-of-the way areas, like under the handguards of the stock, or other places that will rarely get abraded or handled.  It is a poor substitute for a hot blue on frequently handled surfaces.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top