Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2003 1:58:44 PM EDT
Ok, bear with me, I have a general knowledge of firearms but I've got a lot of questions.  Any help is appreciated.

I've heard of people firing different caliber cartridges in their guns than the gun was originally intended for, like a .357 in a .38 and so on.  How is this possible?  Doesn't it damage the gun?

What does P and +P mean?

Is there any diffence in performance between left and right hand twist rifling?

Why are some bullets larger than others but marked as the same size?  (like a .303 being a .300 in diameter) And how much does this affect performance?

When a bullet impacts something living, is it the kinetic energy of the bullet being transferred to the target that kills it, the hole/wound it inflicts or the actual damage to organs?  

If it is the kinetic energy that's most potent, why is the AR-15 so widely used?  A small caliber weapon with a high velocity will give you maximum penetration but not leave a very big wound or transfer energy to the target.

Can you use blackpowder in all weapons where it is safe to use smokeless powder?

Who came up with the idea of making a gun out of plastic and why the hell would anyone want to do that?

What exactly is 'ball' ammunition?

Why are pure lead bullets almost never used any more?

When using most semiautomatic pistols, does changing ammunitiion type/brand usually require changing to a different type of magazine and swapping out a few springs to better accomidate it?

Why do some types of ammo produce more muzzle flash/noise in the same gun?

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#2]
..Troy......you are truly a patient soul.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
..Troy......you are truly a patient soul.....

I'll second that.

I'll give Troy credit. When I first came here two years ago, he answered quite a few questions for me as well. It always seems that he is one of the first responders to a question. He's definitely an asset to this site.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Troy, I don't want to contradict one of your answers but, regarding the ball ammo point:

If memory serves me correctly, the use of the term 'ball' as a descriptor for ammo (at least in military circles) described the type of powder used in the round.  Using the 5.56 as an example, at one point pre/early Viet Nam era, a type of powder called 'stick' was used.  For various reasons, it was switched to a type known as 'ball'.  Hence the nomencalture used: '5.56 Ball' or '.45 Ball'.

I'll admit I am not an expert on this topic though and would appreciate more info if you have it!

Thanks,

Rob
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a lot Troy  :)

Anyway, I just saw a Hornaday ad where it showed a .308 bullet that had been fired from a .30-06.  So this means the bullet was .308 in diameter but was fired from a .30-06 (the type of weapon, not nessecarily the caliber?) and the .008" difference in diameter was not significant enough to matter?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, what is MOA and what is a ballistic coefficient?  Thanks again :)
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
hell yeah , ya a patient fella there Troy, nice work..
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top