Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 5:17:46 AM EDT
Gents,

Well I have to come to a conclusion, I love the AR15.  I have had certain phases in gun collecting.  I started with the Russian SKS, AKs, then I went to the M1A, Remmington 700s, tried the FAL, the AR10, the SL8 and Mini 14.  I keep coming back to the good ol AR15.

I have been going to all of the local gunstores and gunshows and the only thing that still catches my eye is the AR.  M4s, A2, A4, flattop, varminter, 9mm conversion, I like them all.  The bottom line I don't think I will buy another rifle, maybe just another upper.

What are your thoughts on this?

Anyone else have the same feelings?

Max
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
That's the advanced stage of the disease.  You just buy uppers, then after a while you get a good deal on a lower, and eventually accumulate the rest of the parts.  

Then you see yet another upper you like, and the cycle continues.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I'm down to AR-15's (including preban AR-180's and postban AR-180B), AR-10's and AK's.

I have only one bolt-gun - an AR-30 ArmaLite in .300WinMag.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I still feel pretty strongly about the AR15.  I see that other stuff they have out there for exeample the PO Carbon 15 and the AR180B.  Their target audience is the AR15 crowd.  The going rate for the AR180B is about 650.00.  It is supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the AR.

This is the thing, you can buy a lower for 100 bucks from Quantico Arms.  Order a complete kit from JT Distributing for 434.00  So basically you built an AR for less than 700.  Here at the Base PX postban Bushmaster retail at 900.  There is no way I would pay that much for a postban.

I am very thankful for a site like this.  I have learned so much and saved so much money through the years.

Money is not an issue for me.  I guess it's the fact that I have matured as a shooter and gun collector.  I used to go to stores and see how many guns I could squeeze on my credit card.  (Yeah I know thats dumb, but I know I am not the only one).  Now I really look for quality rifles, pistols and shotguns.

Max
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
AR goods have made up all of my firearms purchases over the last 2 years. I think we are in the same boat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

AR goods have made up all of my firearms purchases over the last 2 years.

Excepting the AR-180's and AR-180B's where I know exactly the scope/mount/cost, I automatically begin to consider the cost of what I'm going to add re scopes/mounts/rail/RAS/RIS/lights/lasers, etc., when I first begin to look at an AK, AR-15 or AR-10.

Hard on the wallet but certainly makes the guns more interesting.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like a disease.

Like you I have gone full circle. first the AK fever hit (I still love the AK) anf then a Norinco M1A that requird a full workover by Fulton Armory (which is now a $900 shooter). Then the long ago sold G3.

None of the above includes the "cowboy type rifles. Many pistols ahve come and gone into the closet for future shooting.

I've come back to the 1911 and the AR15. I recently put together a SP1 that I really like. The M1A come out from time to time but I have migrated back to the old 1911 and the SP1.

I never grew up with these (no military background)but these USA classics have a way of demanding interest. Some go the Garand, some the M1A, but the Black Rifle has its own allure.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've come back to the 1911 and the AR15.

And that's not a bad pair to draw to !!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I personally think the industries truly tries to get our money by designing other rifles.  For instance here are some wannabe ARs:

Mini 14
Daewoo
SL8
AR180B
SU16
PO Carbon 15

But pound for pound no rifle can be better the AR15.  The ergonomics, accuracy, parts availability and modular design make it better than the rest......

What about pistols?

I have Glocks, Berettas and 1911's.  The 1911 is my personal favorite.  I do not like the Beretta as much due to the fact that the mags failed in Iraq.  

For stopping power hands down the 1911.

For a tough no frills pistol the Glock, any caliber.

The Beretta is strictly for target practice.

max
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I personally think the industries truly tries to get our money by designing other rifles.  For instance here are some wannabe ARs:

Mini 14
Daewoo
SL8
AR180B
SU16
PO Carbon 15

But pound for pound no rifle can be better the AR15.  The ergonomics, accuracy, parts availability and modular design make it better than the rest......

What about pistols?

I have Glocks, Berettas and 1911's.  The 1911 is my personal favorite.  I do not like the Beretta as much due to the fact that the mags failed in Iraq.  

For stopping power hands down the 1911.

For a tough no frills pistol the Glock, any caliber.

The Beretta is strictly for target practice.

max

max,
I've got to assume that it is your ignorance (I simply define "ignorance" as those capable of learning but do not yet know.) that compels you to include the AR-180B in the shit list above.  

AR-180B uses AR fire control parts and M-16 mags and comes out at a VERY affordable $650 retail list.  You might check with Spade or LarrryG or FrankSquid (AR Forum Mod) or_______________ before passing judgement on this AR.  (I'm betting that you don't own one.)

(I doubt Daewoo belongs on that list but since you condemn all Daewoo it's kinda hard to tell.)

(Oh yeah..........AR still (and always has) stands for ArmaLite !!)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Just a note...the Daewoo was developed for the Korean military.  It really had nothing to do with the American consumer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just a note...the Daewoo was developed for the Korean military.  It really had nothing to do with the American consumer.

True but Daewoo is still sold here.  (The AR-15 was developed for the US military but a couple have been sold to US consumers.)

(Well, I'm off to Dallas for the day.)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True but Daewoo is still sold here.  (The AR-15 was developed for the US military but a couple have been sold to US consumers.)

(Well, I'm off to Dallas for the day.)

I was just referring to his statement that the industry is trying to get our money by developing new weapons.  The Daewoo wasn't developed to compete with the AR.  It was just another imported small arm.  I have heard, though, that it has the best features of both the AR and the AK.

Just remember, variety in the marketplace is what capitalism is all about and it keeps innovation alive.  If someone didn't try to invent the better mousetrap, we'd all still be throwing rocks.

BTW, I think the AR15 is a fine weapon, although I'm not a big fan of the gas impingement system used in it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top