Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2003 7:10:25 PM EDT
On the plus side, the mags are cheap, and plentiful. The ammo is cheap, and plentiful. The rifle goes "bang" pretty much every time you pull the trigger.

On the negative side, they're ugly as sin. They don't posses any real accuracy, and most aren't very well made.

Now I understand all about collect-ability. But I was raised under the "Only an accurate rifle, is an interesting rifle" credo. So what makes these so interesting? I've fired a few, but I've never had any wish to own one. What am I missing, anything?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I tend to like the looks of a nice AK-74 variant. I also like the 5.45x39 round, which has narrowed the gap in the accuracy department when compared to a mil-spec AR-15. If your strictly a paper puncher, than an AK wouldn't be a good choice. I love my AR, but I do consider them somewhat fragile. There is nothing fragile about the AK. It's all business.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Its sorta like a Glock -- its so ugly its beautiful.  Other than everyone should have one, I don't have a real strong argument.  Mainly, I would say its a butt simple, virtually indistructable, albeit ugly weapon system.  For $300 or so dollors why not (for a post-ban) with plentiful mags for cheap.  You say why?  I say why not

P.S. bump firing an AK, no matter how childish and a rediculous waste of ammo will make even a gun grabbing liberal smile.

P.P.S. and how can 80 million communist be wrong?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
BECAUSE THEY LOOK EVIL DAMMIT.

P.P.S. and how can 80 million communist be wrong?

AOL. Can 5 million people be wrong? YES.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Gordon Tech SLR100H and a Norinco Underfolder.  I think they are both beautiful and fun to shot.  Acutally my Underfolder is unfired.

How can you say AKs are ugly??  home.houston.rr.com/tlrzone/weaponsimages.htm <--found this link from AK-47.net
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
P.S. bump firing an AK, no matter how childish and a rediculous waste of ammo will make even a gun grabbing liberal smile.

Ok, I'll give. Explain "bump firing".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

....... to a mil-spec AR-15.

Would you kindly inform me which manufacturer makes available-to the civilian market-a Mil-Spec AR-15 ??
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#8]
There are two military style rifles that you should be completely familiar with in the modern world; the AR15/M16 and the AK47/AK74.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#9]
AKs ugly? In comparison to what? The FAL may be. The M-14, possibly. If you say the AR I'll slap you. Now granted its no 1906 Lee Enfield, or 1903A1 Springfield but in the arena of currently issued arms its one of the best looking.

Accuracy wise, well, take a Corvette for example, but their are plenty of other cars out there currently that can stomp it flat on the race track, does that mean its not fast? No.

Ultimatly the AK is not ment for bullseye shooting, but I'd take it any day against military type pop ups, or a 3-gun-match, or any other tactical format of shooting. The AK is a combat weapon, in the combat arena it is quite obviously accurate enough as it continues to be a far more popular format of assault rifle than anything else these days. Even the FAL has dwindled in numbers while the AK remains omnipresent. There is something you can say for the Kalashnikov- you may be able to improve upon it but you'd be hard pressed to ever replace it.

If you're a benchrest shooter, the AK will probably never be of much use to you, but if you'd like to stray into practical shooting, well, there is a lot an AKM can do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#10]
BUMP FIRE

hold rifle at waist level with left arm on front forearm -- keep arm stiff..... place trigger finger lightly on trigger and let the recoil do the work -- a poor mans machine gun.

I only did it once, and my buddy and I were giggling our asses off.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=55989
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Everyone should have at least one!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Everyone should have at least one!

That's how the sickness starts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Why buy an AK?  

1.Why not?
2.Because the very thought of more AK's out there makes people like Diane Feinstein apoplectic.
3.Because in a few years you may not be able to buy an AK if the 04 elections go badly.
4.Because your AR15 is looking to meet a hot Russian babe.
5.Good ones (not the $300-400 SAR's) can get better accuracy (mot AR15 kind of accuracy, but better than most AK's are known for).
6.Variety is the spice of life.  Spice up your collection. (Christ, I sound like Martha Stewart at the Mogadishu Weapons Mart)

BTW - Beautiful RPK, Wave.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Because ever REAL PIMP has one!

They are the most reliable semi auto ever produced, other than the SKS
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Wave, that's a nice looking rifle.  Where could I buy one?

My only real gripe with the AK is the pistol grip, which I consider to be as ugly as the inside of Joan River's nose.  Any way to fit an AR grip on it?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wave, that's a nice looking rifle.  Where could I buy one?

My only real gripe with the AK is the pistol grip, which I consider to be as ugly as the inside of Joan River's nose.  Any way to fit an AR grip on it?

I damn near walked into Joan Rivers and knocked her over on Park Ave. a few weeks ago.  Trust me, that grip is much better looking than her honker.

I'm sure it could be done, but it may take a bit of work.  I just don't think an AK would look right with an AR grip on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I dunno, you guys haven't been very convincing yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Because of the fun factor, AKs are just loads and loads of fun, mainly because ammo and mags are so cheap
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay let me put it this way.

You wanna see a liberal wet his pants? Buy an AK.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You wanna see a liberal wet his pants? Buy an AK.

Ok, I'll buy that one. Keep'em commin'.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you kindly inform me which manufacturer makes available-to the civilian market-a Mil-Spec AR-15 ??

Bushmaster is about as close as it comes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#22]
www.riflestocks.com

They have an AR type grip for the AK I think.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#23]
How about these:

- because you enjoy the challenge of using crappy iron sights

- you love the acrid ammonia stench of ComBloc ammo early in the morning

- because you are a connoiseur of the fine craftsmanship of slave labor

- you can cook hamburgers on the gas tube after 50 rounds

- you want to develop your flinch more, and that huge bolt slamming back towards your face with every shot might be just the ticket

- because trigger slap is "kewl"

- you appreciate ingenious approaches to optics mounting

- you think last round hold-opens are for faggots

Convinced yet?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How about these:

- you want to develop your flinch more, and that huge bolt slamming back towards your face with every shot might be just the ticket

Convinced yet?

That's pretty good!

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#25]
One reason only, because it's fun as hell to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bushmaster is about as close as it comes.

Agreed.......just as you have it.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Why own an AK?  History.  I think the Kalashnikov is THE gun of the 20th century.  Everyone has had one, good and bad.  Its absoultely prototypical.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Cheap fun is still a major factor.  Other than a 10/22 and a brick of .22's it's the next best thing.  Ammo is cheap, mags are cheap, and you shouldn't be afraid to abuse an AK.  There's many things I'd let someone do to an AK that I would normally slap them for doing to an AR.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How about these:

- because you enjoy the challenge of using crappy iron sights

- you love the acrid ammonia stench of ComBloc ammo early in the morning

- because trigger slap is "kewl"

- you appreciate ingenious approaches to optics mounting

- you think last round hold-opens are for faggots

Convinced yet?

ROFLMFAO!!!!!

Thank you sir, thank you. Tear in eye.

But seriously Robar, its as simple as this, no gun collection is complete without one, or an M1 Garand, or a 1903 Springfield or an M14 (M1A).......etc etc etc  One of greatest combat rifles ever.  Besides, when you are at the office and folks are looking at those pictures of scary nasty people in the newspaper firing AK's in the air, you can look over said paper holders shoulder and nonchalantly say "yea, I have one of those" and cassualy walk away -- thats great fun!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The rifle goes "bang" pretty much every time you pull the trigger.

On the negative side, they're ugly as sin. They don't posses any real accuracy, and most aren't very well made.
quote]

A: not 'just about' every time, but if a live round is chambered, it will go bang.

B: Ugly is a relative term. It's very well designed from a feel standpoint.

C: AK-100 series is all about accuracy (Modern production AK's). slap a scope on it, install a NEW production(preferable russian) barrel, and it will be accurate (maybe not like an accurized bull barrel AR15, but it is a combat weapon, not a competition target rifle)

D: Maybe chicom AK's arent well-made. But a Russian one, or even Romanian to a degree will be very well made. Russian ones can take routine beatings and still function like new (Maybe a loss of accuracy if you hit the barrel with a sledge hammer and bend it out of shape)

Edit: btw, A 7.62x39 round will go through more perp than a 5.56x45 round.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#31]
All sarcasm aside, I would say that one of the VEPRs in .223 would be The AK To Get.  They are excellent specimens from what I have seen.  If your wallet can't stand that much of a hit, the Saigas are also very well made... but they need some fooling with to take a man-sized magazine.

I am no fan of 7.62x39, I'd go with the Russian .22 intermediate round as a second choice (forget what the designation is).
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:47:24 AM EDT
[#32]
1.  Ak's are real cheap.  The SAR's go for around $300-$350.

2.  Ammo and mags are cheap.  A case of russian ammo is around $75-$85.  Mags go for under $10 each.

3.  They are a blast to shoot.

4.  They are very realiable.

5.  They don't require much maintenance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#33]

C: AK-100 series is all about accuracy (Modern production AK's). slap a scope on it, install a NEW production(preferable russian) barrel, and it will be accurate (maybe not like an accurized bull barrel AR15, but it is a combat weapon, not a competition target rifle)

Um... Anything with a gas piston hanging off of it isnt gonna be that accurate.

I agree with the VEPR post though. I handled one in a gunshop once and they are much more solid than your average AK. The fit and finish is better too.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]

If you believe in the you-get-what-you-pay-for-theory, you might take a look at a "Krebs" AK - $850-$1100 and postban.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
D: Maybe chicom AK's arent well-made. But a Russian one, or even Romanian to a degree will be very well made. Russian ones can take routine beatings and still function like new (Maybe a loss of accuracy if you hit the barrel with a sledge hammer and bend it out of shape)

Romanian SARs are not more well-made then Chinese AKs!  That's a false statement!  I feel my Chinese Underfolder is a very well made AK in comparison to SARs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top