Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 8:34:21 PM EDT
I'm getting a Romanian SAR-1 soon.  Is it improper terminology to refer to it as my "AK-47?"

Come to think of it, for my AR, is my 16" upper on a RRA lower made with a build it yourself kit a true AR-15, or is the AR-15 strictly a Colt gun?

Even the Bushmasters are called EXM-15 or whatever the hell it is.

Or am I just splitting hairs here and shouldn't be worrying about it?

For the AKs, I would call any Kalashnikov design in 7.62x39 an AK-47 and in 5.45x39 an AK-74.  What would I call a Kalashnikov in 5.56x45?  Damned if I know.  Probably an "AK in .223."

So what's the proper terminology??

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just call it what it is...the "XM15E2S" that BM calls all their stuff is simply to avoid trademark/copyright issues.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I'm concerned, any Kalashnikov in 7.62x39 is an AK-47. The other calibers are, I guess, an AK-74.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally refer to all rifles Kalashnikov actions as AK47s. All AR15-action based rifles as AR15s, but I would call it a Bushmaster AR15, Armalite AR15 etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Under the language of the '94 AW ban, they named off prohibited weapons by name.  AK-47 is on the list, but "SAR-1" isn't.  To paraphrase Shakespeare and ad some lawyer-speak, "a rose by any other name is a totally different weapon that operates on the same principal."  The letters AK-47 stamped on the gun somewhere by the manufacturer make it an AK-47.  That's how silly a law it is and should be revoked.

Back in the real world, any Kalashnikov-based weapon is referred to as an ak, much in the same way any guitar that looks like a Fender Stratocaster is going to be called a "strat."  It's like how southerners call every carbonated beverage "coke."
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's like how southerners call every carbonated beverage "coke."

As opposed to calling it a "pop".  

I was born and raised in Illinois so I can give Yankees sh*t.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Moondog, I'll bet your favorite snack is an RC cola and a moon pie, huh?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
No offense intended with the southern coke reference!  It was another attempt to show how a brand name becomes an alternate term, like how every copy machine is a xerox.  It's also in the rules of southern ettiquette:

3. Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it's called Coke. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up or whatever -it's still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an ass kicking.

Marvl, RC is just so wrong and bad.  The only thing worse was "New Coke."
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Its soda dammit. Its also a water fountain not a "bubbler".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top