Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 3:27:00 PM EDT
Hi, I'm interested in buying a body armor.  Can someone make a recommendation?  About 6-7 yrs ago Second Chance body armors used to cost ~$600.  I've just received their latest catalog and their prices range from $1384 - $3280 (???).  Is that how much body armors cost these days or did I make a mistake reading their price sheet??  Please help!  TIA!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I havent ever seen body armour for less than $900. Try looking for some milsurp. Try a post in EE.

A question tho. Why do you need body armour?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Try www.galls.com.  They sell brand new, NIJ 0101.04 rated IIA vests for $239.  Second Chance vests are probably the most comfortable (depending on model purchased) but they also tend to be the most expensive as in the Ultima 9th Gen.  If you're not going to be wearing the vest day in and day out, you might not need to spend the money on the most comfortable vest.  Many of the big name companies sell good quality vests for under $600.  Soft body armor is like motorcycle helmets, they all protect the same at a given rated level, but the increased cost usually translates into improved comfort/wear ability (the theory that a thin IIA vest on the body protects better than a stiffer IIIA vest in the locker or trunk).

In my opinion, the best light/comfortable vests under $600 include: the Second Chance Superfeatherlite, Safariland Zero G, PACA KGS, etc.  Just make sure to get one that fits.

Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks ZRH and BMANSAR15 for the reply.  I'm looking for a quality body armour.  I don't mind paying $1000 for one.  I was just surprised that they are as high as $3000?

Why not? I have a happy amount of firearms collection.  I figure I'd get myself a body armor to go w/ it.  There might come a time where I might need it.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Neutrino45, if you have and are willing to spend a grand or so on body armor, I'd recommend the following:

Concealable - Second Chance Ultima IIIA, w/Second Chance T-15 Titanium trauma plate

-OR-

Non-concealable (outerwear) - Point Blank Interceptor OTV vest w/SAPI rifle inserts (best current US military issue)

Hopefully you'll never need it but if you do, the you can't beat the above models at this time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks so much for the recommendation BMANSAR15.  I do plan to buy from Second Chance.  I've read a few positive reviews about them.  I had called Second Chance today and the lady told me that they do not sell direct and that I should contact the master dealer for Texas.  She also said the price would be cheaper then what is advertised on the catalog.  I called the master dealer and he gave me the dealer for Houston.  I then called the Houston dealer but never received a call back.  I'll try again tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top