Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 9:56:55 AM EDT
I'm going to start reloading for .40 S&W and so I need to order more dies.   Dillon wants alot for their dies, and Lee dies are also carbide and look exactly the same.  Will they fit and perform?  They are half the price.

Also, do I want a roll crimp or a taper crimp with this caliber?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Will they fit and perform?

Yes. Almost all dies now use the standard 7/8x14 thread pitch. I also use the Lee dies in my RL550B. You will want to use Dillon's lock rings instead of the O-ring equipped lock rings supplied with the Lee dies in order to get the dies properly adjusted (Lee dies have a slightly shorter body than Dillon's).

Also, do I want a roll crimp or a taper crimp with this caliber?

Taper. Most auto pistol cartridges headspace on the case mouth. Apply just enough taper crimp to remove the remaining bell and still chamber properly.

Get some Dillon lock rings, a Dillon taper crimp die, a Dillon cartridge headspace gauge (adjust the dies according to this), and some Lee dies. You'll be all set.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Why a Dillon taper crimp die instead of a Lee one?

I have to get an aluminum toolhead thingy from dillon to hold the dies in, and a couple of other small doo-dads anyway.

Whats the standard bullet weight for .40 S&W?  I haven't looked up any reloading data yet.  I'm getting a Steyr M40 pistol sometime soon and I want to be set up to "roll my own" for it when it comes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Why a Dillon taper crimp die instead of a Lee one?

Their quick disassembly design is awfully damned handy. It's nice to not have to readjust the crimp die in the event that the die needs cleaning.

Whats the standard bullet weight for .40 S&W? I haven't looked up any reloading data yet. I'm getting a Steyr M40 pistol sometime soon and I want to be set up to "roll my own" for it when it comes.

I'm not sure what everyone considers "standard," but I prefer slugs in the 155-grain range and I know a lot of folks prefer the 180-grain stuff. I would have to say that those two bullet weights are probably the most popular for the .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, I wonder if I will need a new shellplate or if one of the ones I already have (.44 mag and .45acp) would work... I'll probably need to get one of those expensive "caliber conversion kits"... Nooooo...

EDIT: Thanks for the prompt replies, we must both be online at the same time!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Also, I wonder if I will need a new shellplate or if one of the ones I already have (.44 mag and .45acp) would work... I'll probably need to get one of those expensive "caliber conversion kits"... Nooooo...

Yesssssss, you'll have to break down and buy a conversion (sort of like bringing a new baby home). The shellplate is not the same as the two calibers you've mentioned, but it does interchange with the 9mm.

I have a big box of reloading manuals if you're interested......

Lyman 47th Edition
Hornady 5th Edition
Sierra 4th Edition
Lee Guide to Modern Reloading 1st Edition
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, its not like the reloading equipement isn't going to pay for itself in the first 250 rounds, so I can't really complain about the start-up cost.

Which manual do you think would be most appropriate for a relative novice (only been reloading for a couple of years) who reloads .44 mag, .45acp, 7.62NATO/.308, and soon .40S&W?  How much would you want for it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Which manual do you think would be most appropriate for a relative novice (only been reloading for a couple of years) who reloads .44 mag, .45acp, 7.62NATO/.308, and soon .40S&W? How much would you want for it?

I think the Lyman is the best for a novice. I'd take $16 with shipping for it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#8]
[crappy AOL voice]

"You've got mail!"

[/crappy AOL voice]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You will need conversion kits for each of those calibers.  It's not just the shell plate. Each kit comes with an expander unique to each one that triggers the powder measure.

I second the Lyman book for newbies.  It really clear.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I used a lot of LEE dies in my Dillon, that is untill I got my first set of Dillon dies. They are not the same. The Lee are fine but the Dillon dies work better, are much much easier to clean and adjust.

I am slowly changing all my other dies to Dillon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Roll Crimp is for Revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top