Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 7:01:58 PM EDT
That's the question.  What would you pick and why.  Purpose will be general plinking.  I've already got an SAR1, 2 AR's, 2 FAL's, and M14 and a G3 clone.  I don't shoot wolf in my AR's (they're chrome lined 5.56 so I'm just being anal) and I would shoot wolf in the SAR 2 or 3 so ammo compatiblilty is not really an issue.  Which are more accurate and reliable?  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Get yourself an SAR 2, some accessories to make it a AK74 from K-var.  Get a bunch of good inexpensive hi-caps (I think you'll have a hard time finding good AK .223 hi-caps). Lots of good cheap ammo, and you're set.  Definitely the SAR 2 IMHO

Rich
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the SAR-2.

First off, I've heard there can be issues with getting the SAR-3's to run. Plus the mag issue (both with cost, and reliability).

Not to mention that the SAR-2 is a little more authentic as far as a military firearm.

It's also a neat little round, and something that not everybody at the range will have.

I thought about both for awhile too, but am glad I went with the 5.45.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Get an SAR 2. The mags are cheap right now.$7-10 for brand new  30rnd,east German mags.Also the Wolf ammo 5.45x39 has been hovering about $100-110 in my area at gunshows. Its a fun little gun that has anough power and range to NOT be taken lightly. WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
SAR-2 as well.  Gun's dirt cheap, ammo's dirt cheap, mags are DIRT cheap (A $7 30rd mag...What's not to like?), they run great right out of the box.  

If ammo compatibility doesn't matter the 5.45x39 SAR-2 is a better choice.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Yesterday at a local gunshow I bought an SAR-2.  Rifle has to be about 98%, has RSA trigger, AK-74 brake and PSO scope - $350.

(I saw stock SAR-1's from $320 - $460 but since you guys have given me some training I did know what to buy !!)

Edited to add:  That short buttstock has got to go.  I think I'll cal K-Var and get either black or plum furniture.  (I'm trying to tell myself that plum be OK !!)
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The mags are cheap right now.$7-10 for brand new  30rnd,east German mags.

E. German bakelite mags are $5/ea (like new/new) at www.rpbusa.net.

Another vote for the 5.45 here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Definatly get a 5.45 gun. I have heard a lot of bad about the SAR3`s, hammer issues, mags hard to find and so on. I have a SAR2 and love it and will probably get another to dress up differently.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
[sarcasm on]

SAR-2's suck.  You don't want to get the fake Krinkov stock from RPB.  You don't want $5 mags.  You don't want the Kobra sight from Tantal.  Look at mine-- its so crappy, I should have gotten an SKS with a choate "dragunov" stock like the guy with the mullet at the gunshow tried to sell me.

And you don't want the AW ban to sunset so you can put a real folding stock on there.  That would be evil.
[/sarcasm off]

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to own a SAR 2 for years but wanted a more lethal round for defense than the wimpy, non fragmenting 5.45mm. I did mine up with black Bulgarian furniture and mags.  Used Rit dye on the sling too.  Kobra dot sight all that stuff.  I was very fun to shoot and looked wicked.

If I had to do it again I would get a SAR 3 and use only Weiger steel mags and put a Red Star trigger in it.  That way it is 100% as reliable as the SAR 2 but will have a much better trigger and have better external and terminal ballistics and be more accurate to boot.

However the SAR 3 is a more serious rifle for defensive use and will cost more to set up.  The mags and ammo are more expensive also.  If its TRUELY only a rifle for plinking the SAR 2 has less recoil, is quieter and cheaper and is the better choice if thats what you want.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
[sarcasm on]

SAR-2's suck.  You don't want to get the fake Krinkov stock from RPB.  You don't want $5 mags.  You don't want the Kobra sight from Tantal.  Look at mine-- its so crappy, I should have gotten an SKS with a choate "dragunov" stock like the guy with the mullet at the gunshow tried to sell me.

And you don't want the AW ban to sunset so you can put a real folding stock on there.  That would be evil.
[/sarcasm off]

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=9910

Duke, is your stock longer than the standard stock and where did you get yours ??
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
5subslr5, the stock is about half an inch or so longer than the standard stock.  Its made by RPB and is called the fake Krinkov stock.

DevL, I think you need to have a talk with Campybob about the relative lethality of 5.56 and 5.45 ammunition.  You might consider IM'ing him about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]
no need, I have done some fairly extensive research on the subject.  Been studying wound ballistics for years.  Doctor Gary Roberts called me on the phone last week out of the blue and thanked me for being such a good student of wound ballistics (!?!?) and asked me where I developed my interest.... very weird, but he was a nice guy and we talked for an hour or so.  I still dont know how he got my phone number.  I wonder if I am on some kind of FBI watch list now.  I better crawl back under a rock and put my tinfoil hat back on before they find me....

Needless to say the 5.45 ammo is lighter, does not fragment and slower than the 5.56 ammo I use.  You are pretty much limited to Wolf or Barnaul in 5.45 and there are much better choices in 5.56mm
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If you're gonna own a damn Commie rifle at least get one that uses American ammo.  Get a SAR-3.

Oh, and don't buy more than one.  If you do you'll have SARs, and probably get very sick.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the SAR3 just as reliable as the SAR2?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]
It is IF you use Weiger steel mags designed from the outset for 5.56 instead of modified 5.45 mags and you get a new hammer with the propper geometry (you can do this by installing the RSA trigger group and hammer)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top