Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 10:36:23 AM EDT
I have been on a buying spree as I wanted to get a few Parts Kits that I can assemble into LEGAL semiautomatics. So far I have managed to buy the following kits:

Imbel FALquarterbore.com/weapons/imbelfal.htm
Bren MK I LMG quarterbore.com/weapons/bren_mk_1_kit.htm
Sten MK III quarterbore.com/weapons/sten_mkiii.htm
Romanian AKM (Still waiting for Big Brown)
Polish PMKMS (Still waiting for Big Brown)

Now, each of the above I was able to find info that showed me that these can be legally built as semiautos and I will work on one at a time as possible.

Now, I am considering getting two more Parts Kits for the future. One of them is an UZI parts kit and the second is a Browning 1919 Belt Fed Parts kit. These kits are still affordable and I know the ATF seems to be cracking down on the import of the kits.

I know that www.1919a4.com is the place for info on building a legal 1919 Belt gun BUT I have never seen a website that shows how one would build a legal semi-automatic UZI from a full auto parts kit.

Anybody have any advise as to if this is possible and/or can you provide me with a useful link?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
As always, someone came to the rescue almost as fast as this was posted!

For UZI info here is a place to go:
www.uzitalk.com/

I am still curious if anybody has done either of these builds?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I built a full auto 1919.  It took about 2 hours or so.
I work at a 02/07 shop though!

Sorry I couldn't really help.

Balming
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The uzi is far the easiest to build, literally bolt on parts if you buy a completed IMI reciever.  D and D parts will set you up with the legal parts and in a matter of hours, instant post ban, legal uzi.  It will cost you around $800-900 bucks.  Might just as well find a used preban and refinish it.  Its not work getting a FA kit and building from the parts.  Too many differences and the SA parts will set you back a bundle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice Imbel kit.  Also if your going to build more than one FAL, BUY KITS!  There drying up fast.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The uzi is far the easiest to build, literally bolt on parts if you buy a completed IMI reciever.  D and D parts will set you up with the legal parts and in a matter of hours, instant post ban, legal uzi.  It will cost you around $800-900 bucks.  Might just as well find a used preban and refinish it.  Its not work getting a FA kit and building from the parts.  Too many differences and the SA parts will set you back a bundle.

I agree with ARDOC, I bought an UZI kit and a IMI receiver with the idea of building a semi UZI. Ending up selling most of the UZI parts and buying nearly all semi auto parts. I think the only thing I used from the FA kit was the receiver cover and the ejector. Everything else either doesn't work on the semi auto or has to be swapped out for US parts because of the import parts rules.

I also built a semi-auto sten from a CATCO kit. It was a MkII, not the MkIII that is currently available. It is not very reliable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the advise and I elected to pick up a 1919a4 parts kit instead of an uzi...  

Now, I might add that I am also trying to learn about quite a few of these as I am quite interested in getting my FFL and if the cost to become a SOT 02/07 demo holder is in my grasp I may just go that way.

Then I could later build my 1919a4, Bren, Sten, and Imbel Fal as post samples.  If I ever decide to turn in my FFL, I just de-mill the parts again as per ATF requirements and build them as semiautos...  Now, I am not so sure I want to cut and reweld something like the Bren receiver too many times but I have LOTS of time to ponder that as I need to work on my skill development first!  
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with ARDOC, I bought an UZI kit and a IMI receiver with the idea of building a semi UZI. Ending up selling most of the UZI parts and buying nearly all semi auto parts. I think the only thing I used from the FA kit was the receiver cover and the ejector. Everything else either doesn't work on the semi auto or has to be swapped out for US parts because of the import parts rules.

I also built a semi-auto sten from a CATCO kit. It was a MkII, not the MkIII that is currently available. It is not very reliable.

www.semiautosten.com makes the MK3 semi sten kit, not Catco, and it fuctions just fine...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I kind of forgot about this thread...  I have bought lots of project kits now as I have added both the 1919a4 and an UZI parts kit...  Perhaps I will never build them all but it's nice having the options!

I am still looking at the various kit options to see if there is anything else I want to put away while they are so cheap but we shall see?

Thanks Again,
QB

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top