Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 5:56:37 PM EDT
Does anyone have some general info on the company?

are the guns based off of the hi power?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Greg: I own the CZ75B and I find it to be an excellent value. I bought it about a year ago and got 2000 rounds of S&B ammo at the same time. That a another 500 assorted type of amm have gone through it with no problems. A few weeks ago I bought several Hi caps from Natchez @ $17.00 a piece. They are for the IMI eagle but they work very well in the CZ. I also own two CZ rim fires; the American in 22 mag and the standard in 22 lr. I have two CZ527 in .223. One is the HS stocked varminter and the other is a Lux. Both are sub MOA with the right ammo. Check out www.cz_usa.com. CZ guns are sleepers...not everyone knows about them but once they buy one they come back for more. Incidently they have a very nice .22 lr convertion kit for the CZ75B. Oh yea...it is loosley based on the Browning HP and feels much like one in the hand.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a cz-75b too. Excellent Firearms. Probably the best bang for the buck you can get in a 9mm. I got a hs2000 for $300 and I still think the CZ was a better deal. It cost more but it shoots better, feels better, handles better, and it's higher weight reduces felt recoil for very fast followups.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The CZs are very nice guns that seem to have fallen in popularity slightly since the importation ban on the former communist country was lifted.  Prior to this, CZ75s were relatively rare and difficult to find.  This condition led to licensing of the design to other manufacturers for importation.  These "clones" include the Tangfoglio TZ75, IMI Baby Eagle, and EAA Witness variants.

The CZ is a very solidly built (all steel) and designed weapon that encompases many features from other very well known weapons (the most notable being the Browning HP and SIG P210).  In fact at one point, Jeff Cooper said it was the best 9mm ever built and the only one he would own.  Much of this stemmed from its ability to be carried Cocked and Locked even though it is a Double Action weapon.

For some reason, they seem to be "less desirable" now that they are more commonly available.  Personally, I think because of the low price point many people overlook them in favor of a gun in the $500 - $700 range.

You will not go wrong with a CZ variant...I wish I had never gotten rid of my TZ75.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The CZs are very nice guns that seem to have fallen in popularity slightly since the importation ban on the former communist country was lifted.  Prior to this, CZ75s were relatively rare and difficult to find.  This condition led to licensing of the design to other manufacturers for importation.  These "clones" include the Tangfoglio TZ75, IMI Baby Eagle, and EAA Witness variants.

The CZ is a very solidly built (all steel) and designed weapon that encompases many features from other very well known weapons (the most notable being the Browning HP and SIG P210).  In fact at one point, Jeff Cooper said it was the best 9mm ever built and the only one he would own.  Much of this stemmed from its ability to be carried Cocked and Locked even though it is a Double Action weapon.

For some reason, they seem to be "less desirable" now that they are more commonly available.  Personally, I think because of the low price point many people overlook them in favor of a gun in the $500 - $700 range.

You will not go wrong with a CZ variant...I wish I had never gotten rid of my TZ75.

I'll second that.  My first pistol was a TZ75 imported by F.I.E. way back in the '80's.  Still have it and have shot the snot out of it since then.  You can't go wrong and you won't be sorry.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
While certainly decent guns, IMO the CZ's are a bit overpriced. For the same money, or sometimes a bit less one can acquire a High Power.

Of course there's always the used route for saving mney.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea-What Troy said is very true. I owned a Hi Power for several years. I've also spent time with Berrta 9mms. I'll take the CZ hands down. It is less expensive, feels better, Hi caps are cheep and it is accurate and durable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:46:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Troy took the words out of my mouth.  Around here you can't touch a true Browning HP (non-clone) for less than $600...even used they are more expensive than a new CZ75.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
i sold my SW 5906 for a cz75b.  It was worth it by far.  I use a the hogue grip with the finger grooves.  it feels real nice.  also found out that the spring for the cz is a little weak for hot loads.  i replaced mine (very long story) with one from wolfe spings for a couple of bucks.  made it shoot even better.

later
lojack
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a CZ85 Combat. Same gun as the 75 but with a couple of modifications. (Adj. sights, ambidexturous slide release, etc...).
VERY nice gun. Shoots great. Never had a single failure and I used a lot of different kinds of ammo... cheap stuff too.

I think it's a lot of gun for a reasonable price.

LRdrvr
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While certainly decent guns, IMO the CZ's are a bit overpriced. For the same money, or sometimes a bit less one can acquire a High Power.

Of course there's always the used route for saving mney.

1911greg,
Ignore what BobCole has written: it is garbage, IMHO.
IMHO
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I beg to pardon!!!.... Highpower is.
1) THINNER
2) is purtier
3) Has an American Icon named JM Browning who constituted the design of this weapon.
4) With a trigger job and even with out a trigger job most BHPs will out shoot CZs hands down.
5) BHP is battle proven weapon that has been in nearly every major and minor War skirmish since WWll.
6) Bhp CCWs better because its slimmer.
7) CZ is NOT in the same class as a BHP, infact CZ had to steel their design ideas FROM the HP design.
8) BHP is IMHO the best looking designed pistol ever made bar none.

I want a CZ PO1, so I like CZs too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
john232,

Re-read the quote.  Nobody is slighting the HP.  I think it is one of the finest 9mm autos ever built.  However, it IS NOT even in the same price class as a CZ.  There is no way you can aquire a HP "For the same money, or sometimes a bit less..."

That is the point of the dispute, not the quality of the Browning High Power.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I think John Browning has his fingerprints on almost any modern autoloading firearm design. His ideas have been incorporated by many manufacturers. CZ's are great.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
HEY! Axel folley used a browing H/P, what this CZ75 on sale at turners im there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I beg to pardon!!!.... Highpower is.
1) THINNER
2) is purtier
3) Has an American Icon named JM Browning who constituted the design of this weapon.
4) With a trigger job and even with out a trigger job most BHPs will out shoot CZs hands down.
5) BHP is battle proven weapon that has been in nearly every major and minor War skirmish since WWll.
6) Bhp CCWs better because its slimmer.
7) CZ is NOT in the same class as a BHP, infact CZ had to steel their design ideas FROM the HP design.
8) BHP is IMHO the best looking designed pistol ever made bar none.

I want a CZ PO1, so I like CZs too.

Gee, That's funny John...
I seem to recall in the pistol competition @ the Hun Farm that my CZ75b outshot your BHP...

My son & I both own CZ75b's with Hogue grips...
Great guns...
Bought mine for $325 used (had less than 100 rounds through it when the previous owner bent the extractor, and complained about jams...
had a gunsmith fix the extractor for $20.
Guess what??? no jams.
Why some people pay $500 - $600 dollars for a handgun when they can get a gun just as good or better for half the price blows my mind.
If I'm going to fork out $600, then I'll buy me a rifle...
Got my eyes on a CZ75b compact(stainless) for $400...
Love my CZ...

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Uh, the CZ75 is an improvement by one of the premier arms industries on a JMB design that was incomplete at the time of his death. If JMB had survived the CZ75 is what the GP-35 would have become.

Its funny...people today are just as overawed by the past and enslaved to it sometimes as the Germans were, theus neglecting the auto rifle concept until it was too late, and even more so thus the Japanese were by all repeating arms. If JMB or Sam Colt would have thought that way, just think of where we'd be now.

The best CZ75 IMHO is the original run "shortrail" where the frame is just a touch shorter than the current production '75 and '75B. I had a TZ-75 marketed CZ75 (an early run just imported by Tagofolio, actually made in Czechoslovakia) with the short-rail, and I loved it to death. The fit and finish was a classy hot-blue with teak grips, the action was smooth as butter and it printed amazingly well. It also became the down payment on the car I'm driving now.

I'm a fan of CZ products, they're one of the few "old world" manufacturers left. Certainly one of the last big ones. CZ engineers keep innovating along the lines that the greats used to. Did any of you know the CZ75 has a fully automatic varient that is actually very controllable and quite comfortable to shoot in burst mode?

edited to add-

CZ used to be BRNO, the only real Czech Arms manufacturer since the early half of the 20th Century. They started life in, I believe, the 1890s, as a Mauser satellite plant built on a firm that manufactured sporting arms in Czechoslovakia that Mauser purchased when they became an arms giant in Europe.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I would definitely recommend a CZ75/85 if you don't already have one. Great shooters and real reasonably-priced. Everybit as good as a Sig, Baretta etc. Spare parts, mags, barrels galore. I paid $275 for mine a few years back. But watch out for the factory stocks, Nitro-solvent will dissovle the plastic grip panels. If you want something similar to the factory grip panels gets some Hogues.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree that the CZ line of pistols are GREAT. . . so much so that CZ is the ONLY modern pistol line we carry.

I have sold them to cops who a few days later wanted to get rid of their issue Beretta 92FS pistols because the CZ75 shot rings around them.

I personally prefer the CZ75 to the BHP as the CZ does not "bite" the web of my hand when shooting it. . . I also like the double-action first shot capability.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
CZ75 is a great gun.  Another option for an awesome high cap 9mm combat proven handgun is the arsenal refinished FM Hi Powers made on Browning contract machinery in Argentina.  I don't consider these clones as they are contract pistols made on licensed machinery.

Arsenal refinished, very good to excellent condition, new detective (compact) slide and barrel... $264.24 shipped from FAC.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]
A while back, J&G Sales were selling the CZ75 police model (with decocker) for $319 NIB. That's pretty hard to beat. I think I got my CZ75B for $375 or maybe a little less.

It's not as polished as an HK, but for the price, it's great. And the double-action trigger pull is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a CZ 75 PCR a while back and its a great gun.  I like it so much that I did something I've never done before with handguns, bought a second one (A CZ 75D.)

Hi-caps are readily available for the full-size models.  I have also been able to get two hi-caps for the compact, but I had to look hard.

They have a grip shape like no other.  Outstanding.

Neither of mine have ever jammed, EVER, with any kind of ammo.  I have about 1,500 rounds through the PCR and 700+ through the 75D.

If I could change one thing it would be the triggers, but I'm finding as time goes on that they are both markedly improving.

- Carbine_Man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top