Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 2:41:22 PM EDT
Allright whos got one and whos got some info on it? Im getting one in 7mm Rem. Mag. Brand new. Gonna top it with a Burris Black Diamond 2.5-10x44. Opinions on the gun and anyone got any pics of their rig?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh ya, what bolt pattern for the bases? I dont think they have their own pattern, most likely copied someone elses? Anyone have an idea?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the bases are proprieitary. CDDN Investments advertises the bases.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one of the 20" SBS Tacticals - IIRC, they use Browning A-Bolt bases, but some of them didn't fit right...

Overall, I was unimpressed with the rifle.  The stock was an especially flimsy POS - slight pressure is all that it would take for the fore end to come in contact with the barrel.  After 5-6 shots the stock would heat up, warp and once again start touching the barrel.  I didn't have a borescope, but the bore seemed very rough based on the amount of copper fouling it picked up and how difficult it was to remove it.  I couldn't get it to shoot better than an inch - that is, during the first 3-4 shots.  Once the stock warped accurracy went to hell.  Granted, I really didn't get a chance to reload for it, but it is somewhat hard to work up a load when you can only shoot a couple of shots an hour.

If it wasn't for the stock, it would probably make a half decent rifle.  Unfortunately, other than paying $600+ for a McMillan stock (GSI contracted with McMillan to make run of stocks for one of their high-end versions), there wasn't any other options.  I believe CDNN was eventually selling the McMillan stocks for around $300 (bought out all of GSI's inventory when they were dropped as the importer), but I had already sold it.  Mine was the "standard" barrel and they were inletted for the HB anyway, so would have probably looked a bit goofy.

Here's a few pictures of the stock after 4-5 shots.  The quality sucks, but you should be able to see the problem.  I never heard of anyone else with the warping problem, although pretty much every agreed the stock was like a wet noodle.  Simply laying it on the rest near the foreend (or using a bipod) was enough pressure for the stock to contact the barrel.

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a GSI .300 Win Mag. with the Mossy Oak stock that I use for hunting. I found the rifle to be pretty damn accurate. The stock did seem to be a little too flexible at the forearm, but I have not had any problems. I like the rifle so much that I'm looking to buy another in   7mm-08 in the mountain 20" barrel set up. They do sell the same rifle with a wood stock called the forester. CDNN is selling them with a free prohunter synthetic stock right now. Good luck....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top