Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 6:28:55 PM EDT
To clean my guns I have been using Hoppes #9 for years and I want to change to something else. What do you guys all use?

KC
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
For store bought, I use Butch's Bore Shine because it's one of the best on copper and powder fouling. For copper alone, I use Sweet's 7.62. For cheap home-made, I use Ed's Red, which is good for powder fouling, but not copper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using Break-free CLP on my AR's for years, now I use it on everything.  It's the funk, yo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I use hoppes #9 first with a brush to break down and remove the powder, then run some dry patches, then use sweets 7.62 to remove the copper. You might find this RobarSR60 topic informative. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=168918
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been using Break-free CLP on my AR's for years, now I use it on everything.  It's the funk, yo.

Break-Free does nothing to clean carbonatious, and copper deposits though. For my AR bolt, I use what the Army AMU does, hot water and Simple Green. I then blow it all dry with cmpressed air, and then spray it with CLP. For the bore...hell, I can't remember the last time I cleaned the bore.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Mostly I use CLP (either BreakFree or the more current stuff), which does an adequate job for everthing but copper removal (for which I use Sweet's.)

I will occasionally use Ed's Red... I mixed up a batch a couple years ago and still have most of it left.  CLP does a better job with rust protection though.

At the moment I am using Slip 2000's 725 gun cleaner / degreaser.  Benefits: it's odorless, and strips the oil off the surface to allow a good application of fresh oil.  It's comparable to Simple Green but was actually intended for guns.  I never used cleaners in spray bottles before because they were generally oily and they got everywhere. This stuff is not as messy because it actually dries, unlike CLP.  Downsides: it's water based, so I am wary of spraying a lot of it into a mechanism I'm not disassembling (like SKS trigger group).  They say it has rust inhibitors in there but I'm not willing to take a chance. Plus, it's not as cheap as CLP or Ed's Red.  On the whole, though, I like it, and the wife doesn't complain when I use it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top