Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2003 2:33:46 AM EDT
 Just a gee-wizz question.  Are RPG launchers, just the launcher not the rounds, controlled as firearms or destructive devices?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The launcher would be a regulated as a destructive device (DD), and each explosive projectile would also be regulated as a DD.  If it was a single use only (disposable tube)launcher, the entire package would be one DD.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
There was an awesome RPG thread on here about a year ago with pics.

A bunch of guys own RPG tubes, so I am not sure that the spent launcher is illegal at all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean LAWS tubes? They're legal; to make them "workable" again basically requires destruction of the tube, so, after it's used once, it becomes nothing more than a strange contraption. You used to be able to find them at gun shows around here for pretty cheap.

They also make a pretty good bottle rocket launcher, but that's a different story.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
A LAAW tube with a sub-calibre insert is fun. There are a few G.I. surplus models floating around. Someone who has the skill could rig one up to launch model rockets, which is essentially what the sub-calibre rocket is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info on LAAWs, but I was asking about RPG launchers.......
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So you're saying someone hijacked your thread?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've seen them for sale, but they've been de-milled. I think that invloves removing the firing pin, and sear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
shaggy had the right answer: a functioning RPG launcher tube is classified as a destructive device under the NFA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top