Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2003 7:49:19 PM EDT
Any one know where to get one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe.  I sold mine to a guy, along with a couple of other rifles, and I see that he's started to sell some.  I'll dig up his email and get back with you tomorrow.  Will email you direct.  Truly a different sniper rifle.  Turns out much of the rifle was subcontracted down but overall quality was maintained by Mauser.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe.  I sold mine to a guy, along with a couple of other rifles, and I see that he's started to sell some.  I'll dig up his email and get back with you tomorrow.  Will email you direct.  Truly a different sniper rifle.  Turns out much of the rifle was subcontracted down but overall quality was maintained by Mauser.

Well, checked with my guy and he has already sold the rifle.  He tells me there is one on Gunsamerica.com, Item no. 976262774 - but says you may not want this one.  I suggest you just continue to check the boards as these rifles still turn-up from time to time.  Remember you want to get the certificate of authentication if you do find a 66SP.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, checked with my guy and he has already sold the rifle.  He tells me there is one on Gunsamerica.com, Item no. 976262774 - but says you may not want this one.  I suggest you just continue to check the boards as these rifles still turn-up from time to time.  Remember you want to get the certificate of authentication if you do find a 66SP.

I appreciate your checking.  About the certificate of Authentication....Do these come from the manufacturer when the weapon is new?  Did you ever fire yours and if so how did it shoot?  One more ?  What is a fair price for one in excellent condition?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I appreciate your checking.  About the certificate of Authentication....Do these come from the manufacturer when the weapon is new?  Did you ever fire yours and if so how did it shoot?  One more ?  What is a fair price for one in excellent condition?  Thanks in advance.

They only shoot......WONDERFUL, or maybe a little better.  Re the letter of authentication; this letter comes from Springfield Armory and authenticates the fact this rifle was actually one purchased and used by the Israeli Defense Forces.  All the 66SP sniper rifles are old - but fine.  You're not going to get a pristine weapon but a "tool" that has been used and cared for for a good number of years.  There was one special run of these rifles ordered by and purchased by the IDF - something like 100 - I THINK but am not sure.  The bipod is likely to be missing as working snipers removed them - the things just get in the way of a good window sill or sandbag or..... .  Last I checked some of these 66SP's were still in use by the IDF and still in use as sniper rifles.  The IDF does such a terrible job of training snipers that the comfort range of about 600 yards is still fine for the 66SP.  (I'm sure this is classified but as I no longer have a security clearance I don't give a shit - the IDF first moved to the Stoner SR-25 and are now moving to the ArmaLite AR-10(T) - semi-autos - for their new sniper rifles.)

I'll send you Keith's email address.  He'll have more current pricing info including how much he got for his 66SP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I had one. I got one of the first ones that SA sold to the general public. The 66SP is a good weapon, and it has a ton of character. The action is as smooth as silk, and the rifle tends to group pretty well with factory ammo. The problem with is, they look like they've been banging around in the back of an Israeli truck for the last 20 years. When mine came in, the stock looked like shite. I mean it was beat up. I had it refinished, and had all of the stippling that was left, taken off. When it came back to me, It looked like a whole new weapon. The guns are a boat load of fun to shoot, but I would do it sparingly, if you happen to find one. When the barrels are shot out, that's it. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that'll tackle the job to rebarrel it. Even McMillan turned down the job. I talked to SA, when I was at Camp Perry last year, and asked them about it, and they said that the guy they get that sort of "stuff" from, is a big time Israeli millionaire..."He doesn't have time to go and track down single barrels, or parts." Unless you can find a good machinist to do the work, I'm afraid you'd be SOL. The scope that came with mine was in beat-up shape. It worked well though. It had a BDC dial for the M118 ball, and it tracked it pretty well. I had a problem with mine when I first got it, but SA fixed without a question. All in all, they're great rifles to occasionally play with. Just remember all of the things I pointed out before you decide to go buy one. As for a fair price?...I sold mine for $2750, with the optics. I've seen without optics for as low as $1700. The one on gunsamerica is a nice weapon, but well overpriced. Keep an eye on the boards. They pop up from time to time.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guy's for the info.  Sounds like they are fun, but very used.  Maybe I should go for the 66SP replacement, the newer Mauser 86SR SWS.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guy's for the info.  Sounds like they are fun, but very used.  Maybe I should go for the 66SP replacement, the newer Mauser 86SR SWS.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich

Only you can make that call. As stated above "character" was part of this rifle's appeal for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...Maybe I should go for the 66SP replacement, the newer Mauser 86SR SWS.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich

Not available. I already asked. With all of the "tensions" going on over there, Israel is hanging on to anything and everything. They even stopped sending back their SA M1As. There were very few, if any, made for the civilian market. You might get lucky, and find one for sale in Germany somewhere. Good luck getting it into the country though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
Rich

Only you can make that call. As stated above "character" was part of this rifle's appeal for me.

I know what you mean....When I first saw the 66SP I thought man what a cool looking weapon.  The more I looked at the pictures, and read about them the more I liked it.  

I would love to be able to buy one from one of the US military "other country" weapons lockers.  I'll bet they're in awesome condition.  I saw a picture of one of these lockers (can't find it to save my life now) where they had weapons from other countries lined up on racks.  They had 2 rows of 20 each 66sp's.  The rear stocks looked perfect.  Couldn't see the rest of the weapon.

I'll keep my search going.  If you should happen on one in good condition please give me a jingle.

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You see them for sale once in a great while here in Germany. Last one I saw was around $2500, but it was in great condition.

Importing one wouldnt be a problem. a bolt action rife is importable. And, if I remember correctly any FFL can do an occasional import. Just a matter of sending a form 6 in to the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
Rich

I know what you mean....When I first saw the 66SP I thought man what a cool looking weapon.  The more I looked at the pictures, and read about them the more I liked it.  

I would love to be able to buy one from one of the US military "other country" weapons lockers.  I'll bet they're in awesome condition.  I saw a picture of one of these lockers (can't find it to save my life now) where they had weapons from other countries lined up on racks.  They had 2 rows of 20 each 66sp's.  The rear stocks looked perfect.  Couldn't see the rest of the weapon.

I'll keep my search going.  If you should happen on one in good condition please give me a jingle.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich, last year I, for personal reasons, liquidated a fairly decent collection.  Primarily  my love was for the old ArmaLite's but I've got to tell you selling that old 66SP and my ArmaLite NIB AR-18 machine gun caused the most pain.  I've bookmarked this topic and will let you know if I see anything.  

Just a quick note - the safety had been disabled on the one I had and I finally figured out what the working snipers had done.  The Bolt was put in the horizontal position and carried that way.  The sniper had to only slide the bolt handle down fully - not one sound did it make - and shoot.  (When I sold it my FFL re-engaged the safety for the new buyer.)  When you find your rifle be sure to check the safety.

Tom
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I really appreciate the feedback on this effort, but damn, now I really want to find a good one.  I guess you all know that feeling.  

I've got some friends still in the military...maybe I shouldn't leave a stone unturned and ask them about the 66sp, perhaps they'll have a lead.

Thanks again for your thoughts and information.  I'll keep checking the site, the web, etc.

Thanks,
Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top