Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2003 10:52:04 AM EDT
Well, after all the questions and thinking, I am going to break down and do it. Going to let go of a few things and get Recon. Funds should be acquired shortly. Cant stand it any longer. I just think they are way to nice of a rifle to not have one. Just had to post cause I am about to bust to have one. Now I wont have to drool on my friends all the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot one of them, before the M96 was banned here in Calif. They should real nice. Congrads.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You should not be allowed to own such a weapon.  One only needs to look at it's deadly pistol grip and 5.56 death ray ammo to realize mortals should be prohibited from owning such a rifle.  IT MUST BE A MACHINE GUN, JUST LOOK AT IT.

OK so I'm jealous
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Warlord - you can get the neutered M96 here.  I actually saw one at the last San Francisco Fun Show.  I don't know if anyone bought it but a dealer had it on his table.  Also saw some neutered (no pistol grip) L1A1 from Century too.  The L1A1 was $575 if I recall correctly.  I would have bought it had it not been for the current reputation of the Century L1A1's on this board.

Here's a much-linked-to picture of the neutered M96 for us poor souls in the occupied territory:

www.robarm.com/m96_california_recon_carbine.htm

Still pretty cool though, but I have to pay the IRS this year
slipjoint
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Warlord - you can get the neutered M96 here.  I actually saw one at the last San Francisco Fun Show.  I don't know if anyone bought it but a dealer had it on his table.  Also saw some neutered (no pistol grip) L1A1 from Century too.  The L1A1 was $575 if I recall correctly.  I would have bought it had it not been for the current reputation of the Century L1A1's on this board.

Here's a much-linked-to picture of the neutered M96 for us poor souls in the occupied territory:

www.robarm.com/m96_california_recon_carbine.htm

Still pretty cool though, but I have to pay the IRS this year
slipjoint

I saw on the CAlif neutered rifle on their web site the other day. BUT.... Take another look, the Cal DOJ has not ruled one way or the other whether it is legal or not, gives a new meaning to the phrase, "they don't know the diff. between a broomstick and buttstock," and those suckers are suppose to be enforcing the law. I think at some point Cal DOJ is going to make a dicision, and say its illegal and that would be that, especially since we have an AG that is super anti-gun.  I couldn't the document to load, but I will try again at later.
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
 Good luck Hawkeye!!!!  I, too, covet the M96 and have recently shot one of the newest ones.......ohhhhhhhh ssssssooooooo  sweeeeetttt!!!

I have sold ( or am in the proces of selling )about four or five guns to come up with the money for this baby and hopefully shall order it within a few weeks!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2003 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Hawkeye,
I've got a M96 carbine recon version I've had bout 1 1/2 yrs - chrome barrel w/the rail for optics. Would you be interested?
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hawkeye,
I've got a M96 carbine recon version I've had bout 1 1/2 yrs - chrome barrel w/the rail for optics. Would you be interested?

Thanks, but I really want a new one, just a personal quirk of mine. Besides, I am not going to have quite all the money at one time, so I have a layaway deal worked out with a private ffl friend. Thanks for the offer though!
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Hawkeye i think you will be quite happy with it i know i am. here is a pic of mine
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
That is exactly how I want to set mine up. My friends is the same, minus the Aimpoint. Very nice. How well does the Aimpoint co-witness for you with the irons?
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
no problem, the red dot sets right on top of the front sight. works great
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
hey leadpoisonr, what is that you added to your pistol grip?
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
thats one of those Hogue slip over type thingies cant remember the exact name of it sorry.
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
thats one of those Hogue slip over type thingies cant remember the exact name of it sorry.

It's called a Hand-All...really.
I just call 'em "HO-GRIPS"

Nice guns, guys.
Link Posted: 3/6/2003 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's called a Hand-All...really.
I just call 'em "HO-GRIPS"

Nice guns, guys.

yep thats the one. i bought it because it can get mighty hot in my neck of the woods and found the PG getting slippery when my hand starts to sweat.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
How is the accuracy with these compared to a standard AR?
Link Posted: 3/8/2003 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How is the accuracy with these compared to a standard AR?

My friends that I have shot is a real tack driver. Cant say if its the norm with them or not, but his is VERY good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2003 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Not trying to be a dick, really and truly, but I don't really see the point.
It strikes me that it weighs more than a similar AR, and almost as much as a similar FAL
weights are as follows (carbine/rifle/price):
Bushy: 7.22/8.27/$1k
M96: 8.2/8.5/$1600
DSA: 8.35/8.75/$1400

Is it more accurate than the Bushmasters?  What's the attraction?

If its simply to have a cool looking rifle as part of a collection, I can understand that, but in terms of pure function or value/$$, I don't get it.  Could someone enlighten me?
Link Posted: 3/10/2003 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Norman, the biggest attraction for me is the stronger construction, and cleaner operation. Now, that said, I have NEVER had a problem with any of my AR's or my issue M16's. That is one reason I am having so much trouble deciding whether or not to get the Recon. As for the weight, I personally have yet to find that heavy AR I keep reading everyone talking about. I like a rifle with a little weight to it. To me, the Recon feels about the same as my carbines. Value I could care less about. My guns are defensive weapons to be shot. Hence my bigger concern with function, reliability, and accuracy. The M96 appears to be right on track with the AR in those areas. Will it surpass the AR? Not sure yet. The potential is definitely there. Only time will tell. I am going to keep pondering and researching before I make my decision. I do see me owning one, just depends on if I am willing to wait a year or two to save up for one, or if it seems to be a good enough rifle to sell an AR to get.
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#19]
And the barrel glows blue when orcs are about!

Just razzin' ya Hawkeye.  I look forward to seeing it at the meets and losing, again, to you.  I have seen the videos of them firing full auto and they seem to be very controllable.  Single fire should be a snap.

You mentioned cleaner...do they have a piston instead of the ar type blow-the-smoke-and-crud-back-into-the-receiver type action?  That would be a serious plus since the only nick name to stick with my M4 is "the pig."

-White Horse
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 5:19:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
And the barrel glows blue when orcs are about!

Just razzin' ya Hawkeye.  I look forward to seeing it at the meets and losing, again, to you.  I have seen the videos of them firing full auto and they seem to be very controllable.  Single fire should be a snap.

You mentioned cleaner...do they have a piston instead of the ar type blow-the-smoke-and-crud-back-into-the-receiver type action?  That would be a serious plus since the only nick name to stick with my M4 is "the pig."

-White Horse

Yes, they do use a piston setup, with an adjustable gas system much like an FAL.
As for the barrel, if it does indeed glow blue when goblins and orcs area about, I'll GLADLY sell ALL my AR's to get one post haste!
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#21]
 I wish I could just get a real 203 under the barrel in case I run into a Balrog.  5.56 is a bit light for them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2003 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Having used an M203 quite a bit, it is an effective weapon. However, I think even it would be a bit anemic against a Balrog.
Link Posted: 3/12/2003 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Congrats Hawkeye – you won’t be sorry for getting an M96.  I’ve had the rifle version for over a year now, and liked it so much I went out and got a recon a couple weeks ago.  HAVEN’T SHOT HER YET THOUGH!!  Maybe this weekend.  Anyway, it’s a neat rifle, and the design has a rich and interesting history.  You’ll love it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2003 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Congrats Hawkeye – you won’t be sorry for getting an M96.  I’ve had the rifle version for over a year now, and liked it so much I went out and got a recon a couple weeks ago.  HAVEN’T SHOT HER YET THOUGH!!  Maybe this weekend.  Anyway, it’s a neat rifle, and the design has a rich and interesting history.  You’ll love it.

We'll, I am still undecided somewhat. Still investigating. Have you had any troubles to speak of with yours?
Link Posted: 3/12/2003 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We'll, I am still undecided somewhat. Still investigating. Have you had any troubles to speak of with yours?

I haven’t had a chance to get out and shoot my recon yet, but I’ve shot the hell out of the rifle and have never had a problem.  All different kinds of ammo (even Wolf!), and all different kinds of mags, and I’ve never had a single malfunction.  I’m pretty impressed.  It seems to chew up anything you give it.  Accurate, the gas bleed adjustment is cool, and it’s built like a tank.  

Field stripping and reassembly took some getting used to, for me anyway – it is an entirely different design than the AR.  I think there were some weak parts (like the op rod) in the early models, but as far as I know they have that squared away now.  The front sight is cranked ALL the way over to the right to be on at 100 yards – I think that’s odd.  That’s about all the negatives I can think of.  Overall I’ve been real happy.  I can’t wait to get out and put some rounds through the recon.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2003 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I posted a message in the RobArm forum last year about how much I like my M96 and how accurate it was with barnaul 62 gr, and got a reply from Alex Robinson thanking me for my post and telling me not to use steel cased ammo (extractor issues).

Still shoot it, very accurate, works great.

Have all three current configs, like shooting the top feed the best.

Link Posted: 3/13/2003 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the replies. I am still at a bit of an impass though. Seems like for every 2 people that have love them, I fond 1 that hates them. Wouldnt be such a big thing if I had the $$ to just go buy it, but since I will have to sell my A3 AR to get it, just want to make sure its really what I want to do and going to be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2003 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want one, you want one.  Get it.  You have nobody to answer to but yourself.

For me I had to decide between a M96 and a M1A.  I picked the M96 and don't regret it.

Besides, you'll always be able to buy more AR's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#29]
 If you wanna wait, Hawkeye, as soon as my state return comes in  ( WHERE IS THE S.O.B., ANYWAY???? ) I am positively ordering one (M96-Recon).  I will definitely post the results when I get ahold of it.  I have been waiting for ages for the M-96 to reach a developmental point where I felt it was worth the money.  I feel it is there for the most part and the one or two changes I would like to see should be made shortly or will be easy to add to the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Arrrrrgggg, me buckos!!!!!!  The return has been processed, bless my parrot!!!!!  All I'm's waitin' fer is the check to hit the bank!!!  Arrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2003 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2003 2:06:58 AM EDT
[#32]
AAAAAAaaaarrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Shiver me timbers tis sweet indeed.....aaaarrrrrgggggg!!!![pirate]

damn....I was hoping for a "pirate" smiley !!!!arrrrgggg!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2003 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#33]
 AAAAaaarrrrggggg!!!!!!  Tis MINE!!!!!!!

Got my recon today....been goofing around with it, doing a full initial cleaning, learning the system.  Gonna work with it all week...shoot it tomorrow and Fri.  Will try to write a good report as soon as I can.

Initial thoughts...stout, more difficult to disassemble than the AR but cleaning shouldn't need to be as frequent ( though I clean all my guns as soon as I can after shooting ), shoulders well, safety placement isn't too hot, a GREAT feel to it.  Hoping it will shoot as well as the earlier example I fired.

Shall keep you all posted.
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#34]
M96 Recon.....YOU ARE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

I am running really short on time but I gotta say the following:

A.  I love it.
B.  the safety lever ergonomics SUCK really badly...but the AK is no speed queen either.

C.  Solid like a mothah
D.  Pretty accurate
E.  Utterly reliable
F.  Not as straightforward as the AR...but it part of a weapon SYSTEM so it really can't be.
G.  I now officially have no favorite weapon in my collection....I love them all.

BUT

If I had to pick a gun to fight with right now it would be in the following order:

1st pick:  M1A Scout Squad
2nd pick:  Full size M1A
3rd pick:  SP1A1 (m16 a1 upper on it)
4th pick:  CAR 15 (a1 style)
5th pick:  M96...provided that the weapon continues as wonderfully as it did today.

the position of the M96 may change as time goes on we shall see.  Again, so far  WOW!!!!!!  I really like it A LOT!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2003 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like one, but only so much $ to buy toys and this is "further down the list" right now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like this might come to fruition soon now. Will have a large chunk of the $$ for one by next week. Hope to scrape up the rest within the month.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#37]
A friend has an M96. I put a few rounds through it and thought it shot well. Same goes for another friend but when the owner took over, casings started getting caught by the action. He messed w/the gas but couldn't get it right(no manuel w/him). I've heard he's got it running now. I have a Bushmaster & couldn't be happier w/it. Seems perfect for .223/5.56; length, weight, & cost.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#38]
 Well, I have 2500 through mine and all I have have to say is ( even though the system is not perfected yet )  DAMN, I love my M96!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top