Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 4:37:27 PM EDT
New to the board and want some advice on which AR-15 would be good to start with.  Interested in accuracy, but no jams. What barrel twist is good?  Live in Connecticut so Colt AR-15 or receiver with that label is out (sad but true).
Could assemble myself to save $.  What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome. I'll say what many on this board will tell you:

BUSHMASTER!

They just about top the stack of manufacturers right now, and that is very argueable. It will probably be argued here for the umpteenth time if anyone cares to

1:9 twist rate is the standard IIRC.

My personal opinion would be purchase your first and, if interested, build your second. But that's just an opinion, mind you.

If money is an issue, I've read many good things about Rock River Armory (RRA).

Any gun, no matter who makes it or what it costs, can jam. Most will at some point for one reason or another.

Hope this little bit helps.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a Bushy M4 and it has been an awesome rifle.  I paid $740 I think for the A2 model.  I'm in the process of building a Rock River Arms.  Seems to be just as good in quality as my Bushy.  Will cost me about $200 less than the bushy (before I add the new trigger, skeleton stock, Knights forend, etc).  I've heard good things about Olympic Arms, though never shot one myself.  I think they offer a lifetime warranty on their rifles.  

Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote goes out to Bushmaster as well.  For reliability and durability you'd be hard pressed to beat it in a postban configuration.  If it were my first AR-15 I would get it in a M-4 carbine configuration because of its versatility.  Down the road you can buy or build specialty AR's with bull barrels and big optics but the M-4 is like a pair of Docker pants.... You can wear them for just about any occaision and feel comfortably not over or under dressed.

I've had friends with Olympic Arms and the quality has been "hit or miss".  Some have had function problems and parts which have broken.  A lifetime warrantee?  I would rather have a smooth running gun than one that will require me to frequently use the warrantee.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive my ignorance, but why can you buy a Bushmaster in Conn but not a Colt?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
BUSHMASTER

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a statute that blocks some "assault rifles" by name only.  For example it includes "AK-47 types" which can be variably interpreted to include SAR-1's and SAR-2', 3's.  The prohibition on .223's are:

Colt AR-15
Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Ruger Mini-14

they may be others on this woeful list like the Daewoo K-1, but I don't know enough about some of the brand names to know if they are .223's.

hence the interest in the kit with a no name lower
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
T-shot,  where in CT are you?   If southern part of the state go to D'andrea's Gun  on Barnum Ave. Bridgeport/Southport line.  They have plenty of black rifles.   If you're in the northern part of the state go to Newington Gun Exchange,  and  Hoffman's(also in Newington).
We can buy Colts, but not pre-ban Colts(AR-15).  Post ban Colt Sporters are OK.  You can no longer buy ANY AK-47 style rifles.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major manufacturers.  Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Rock River.  I would stay away from Hesse anything and the cheaper Oly Plinkers (with cast upper/lower receivers).   You may also want to go the kit route;  Hoffman's has forged lowers for $90.  

Where do you shoot?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]
ARMALITE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top