Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2003 6:59:35 PM EDT
Does anyone have any helpful tips not to get burned sending mo  any help would be great
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read some of the folklore surrounding Postal money orders, and that you may have recourse through the mail fraud regulations. I don't really know if this is true. I suggest you deal in credit cards if you can, since the credit card company can support your position if you dispute the charges of a bad transaction. Otherwise, rely on referrals and feedback from members of this board - and know something about the seller if you can.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
 I have dealt with many people on this board and have never got burned .

Use Postal Money Orders .  Theortically if you get screwed you can get the postoffice involved for mail fraud .

Also you can send the payment via registered mail . Though this costs more .

I have never done the registered mail thing though .

If you are not talking about people on this board than cc might be the rule though many places charge more to do this .

Have a little faith baby , Have a little faith .
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Only way I ever did online with MO is COD.  No chance you are not going to get your Money or Equipment.

Of course, this was done with beanie babies, not guns.  (laugh now, but I sold 5 little friggin stuffed toys to some nuts for more than $3000.00, back when they were selling like wild.)
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
dont use PO money order. use Western Union money transfers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You can send it registered with a return receipt.  I bought (attempted to anyway) a $700 Leupold this way and the guy tried to screw me by shipping some wood ballast insured instead of the scope then he was going to claim a loss as a result. When I was done with him in 24 hours, I had my money back Express Mail, knew where he lived in TX, knew who his neighbors were, how much he paid for his house, how long he lived there, how much his taxes were, where he worked, who his supervisor was and shortly there after the Postal Inspector had him under arrest for mail and insurance fraud. Out of hundreds of I-net transactions, this was the only time someone tried to screw me and I was suspicious all along so my gut feeling paid off. THe little fxxk was quaking big time when I was done with him. BTW the deal was from a Sniper web site, not AR15. I've bought mags & other stuff here without problem so if it's something small $100 +/- don't sweat it too much unless you have reason to be suspicious.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
How did you get all that info in 24 hours ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
There really isn't any protection afforded by the use of PO MOs. The only positive is for the seller, as he can usually cash them anywhere. To the buyer, there is no difference between a check and a MO. If it is not stolen, or not forged, then there is nothing that USPS will do about it. Same as if you used your own check. If it wasn't stolen or forged, your local bank isn't going to worry about whether it was fraud or not.

What kicks off the fraud investigation is the use of the US Mail as part of the transaction that helped to facilitate the commission of fraud and it doesn't matter if money is involved. It's a narrow definition, but if any part of the deal (even a simple letter) was sent using the USPS, it comes under the USPS fraud category. But you get this protection whether or not you use a PO MO.

Check out the USPS site for more detailed information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top