Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2003 3:59:03 PM EDT
does wolf ammo work well with the ar-15?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
alligator,

Your best bet is to buy military surplus ammo if you want good cheep ammo.  Y

You will regret Wolf ammo in an AR.  It cannot be loaded on stripper clips since it has a steel case, so you will have sore thumbs at the range.  The primer and the varnish will also spread throughout the reciever if you shoot allot of it.

If you are planning on using it in an AK47 it will work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a 5.56 (not .223) chamber and a chrome lined barrel it should be fine.  I've shot thousands of rounds through my M16's with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmmmm where can I get military surplus ammo?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
shaggy hit the nail on the head, its good ammo for the money. you get what you pay for but for $90/1000 im happy with the wolf ive shot. its not very accurate, and its dirty as hell but its fun for blasting.

whats all this shit about sore thumbs and torn up fingers? WTF i can load AR mags all day and not get a sore thumb. not like pistol mags or subgun mags. jeeeez maybe you guys should take up Golf   (jokes guys)  you dont need a LULA or any other gimmicky crap. just load and enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.ecis.com/~mraudio/AR15_Ammo_FAQ.htm

http://www.wideners.com/

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_223.htm

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

it with get ya started

They have a ammo section on the site.

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hmmmmm where can I get military surplus ammo?
thanks

If you don't want to order it online the best place to go is you local gunshow.  That's where I get all of mine and I know y'all have lots of gunshows in texas!
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
alligator,

Your best bet is to buy military surplus ammo if you want good cheep ammo.  Y

You will regret Wolf ammo in an AR.  It cannot be loaded on stripper clips since it has a steel case, so you will have sore thumbs at the range.  The primer and the varnish will also spread throughout the reciever if you shoot allot of it.

If you are planning on using it in an AK47 it will work just fine.

I've loaded alot of Wolf ammo in .223 onto stripper clips, never had any problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#10]
my advice is to pick up 100 rounds of wolf at a show.  If you like it, buy more, if not, don't.  Personally it is all I will shoot for practice.  Never know where surplus has been, especially the tarnished stuff.  I have never had any problems with 3k rounds of wolf downrange and counting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#11]
some have reported troupble with it.  best thing to do is to buy a coupel of boxes before dropping 90 on a case.  i have shot it in my m4 and 2 varmit ar15s.  it worked fine for me.  not very accurate overall, but works everytime.  ar mags are easy to load. others might say that the steel case will cause excessive wear.  i guess that is in theory.  i have never seen any evidence of this ever. i use it in my glock and 1911 also.  just clean the rifle when done shooting it for the day.  it will keep any varnish from building up.

later
lojack
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine as a DPMS (bought new) and shoots nothing but steel case ammo, Wolf or Bruanl (I think thats how it is spelled). Trys brass SA and it jams. Thinks the SA is junk. Steady diet of steel case and I wonder! Shoot only brass in my Colt 20" (bought used) and never a jam/miss so far, 2000+ rounds. Just got a new 16" stainless RRA upper, no steel case ammo in it as long as I own it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top