Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 8:12:57 AM EDT
Ok, I am sick of my naked ended 16" post ban upper.  I wanted to spend $100 bucks to get a KKF, Cav arms, or Wilson break put on permanently.  However, money is tight and I want some other goodies so I am considering a set screw post ban break. ASA has some on sale for $16 - $19.  The use 4 set screws.  

Does any one have experience opinions on this setup?  Will they stay solidly on?  Should I add JB weld on when I install it?  

It is a genric 16" barreled upper, so I would be screwing up a match grade set up or anything like that.

I am looking at C in the photo.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I wouldn't trust the setscrew brakes not to loosen during fire.  Also, the thought of marring my barrel with the setscrews kinda makes me cringe.

I'd check into the CavComp.  IIRC, I don't believe there anywhere close to $100, even installed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
But, your's is a post ban and unless it is threaded 1/2 x 28 tpi, the stupid Cav Comp won't fit. If you thread 1/2 x 28 tpi, then you have to tack weld the pin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I put one on an AK I used to own a few years ago.   First time I used it, it launched about 20 feet downrange after several shots.  I was determined that would not happen again.   First you MUST dimple the barrel where the set screws contact it.   Put the brake on and remove one screw,  then put some tape on a drill bit so you do not wreck the threads in the brake, drill in about 1-2 mm.  Replace the screw and then do the same for the other 3 screws.  If you want to be able to take the brake off at some later time just use some RED Loctite (heat will allow you to remove latter.)  If you want a "permanent"  attachment, just use some JB Weld on the barrel/brake interface in ADDITION to the red Loctite 271.

After I did this It was on for good and I couldn't take it off if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
A looks like an A2 flashhider and B looks like a Phantom flashhider, which would be illegal on a postban.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
What ZOG said.

I had one that looked exactly like "C", and didn't bother retrieving it the third time it was launched downrange. It was setscrewed tightly enough to scar up the end of the barrel pretty well when it came off, but that wasn't secure enough to hold it in place for more than a couple of shots.

A buddy's Olympic has a groove machined at the barrel end for the setscrews, and Bushmaster cross drills and pins theirs in place.  Those are the only ways to keep a post ban muzzle brake in place that I'm aware of.  Bushmaster offered me a free installation if I buy one of their brakes, I'll probably take them up on it to cover the scarred muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Smith Enterprises brake on one of my barrels. It kinda looks like the 4th one from the left (D). It is ok I guess.

The main reason for my putting it on my rifle was the barrel I bought for a project gun is an Olympic Arms barrel from Brownells and has a groove cut in the end of the barrel specifically meant for set screw brakes. With the groove it looked worse than a regular smooth barrel.
The groove is about1/16th of an inch deep and gives a spot for all four set screws to countersink into to keep the brake from being launched down range. It definitely works as I have a minumum of 2,000 rounds through the barrel without a bit of trouble of it loosening up.
If you decide to go the set screw brake route you would have to at a minimum drill countersink holes in the barrel and then you're kinda stuck with the brake. If you decide you don't like it you'll be left with the countersink holes in your barrel.

As a side note my barrel has been real accurate.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have a Smith Enterprises muzzlebreak on my Bushmaster XM15-E2 A3. So far it has worked flawlessly. Set screws have remained secure.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]

The AW ban specifically prohibits threaded barrels, not barrels that will accept flashiders.

Actaully, You're not exactly right. What it says is:

a flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

BATF has given written opinions that threads on post ban barrels are allowed as long as no flash suppressor exists that will work with that particular thread.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would you want one of those noisy damn things in the first place. Looks won't be appreciated by the guy next to you. My post-ban 16" looks fine w/o one, and pleasant to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top