Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 4:09:30 PM EDT
Ok, while browsing the Funshow with TXLewis today.  We saw several things that interested us.  A couple of blondes, a memorable brunette with a PPK.

Wait, no.  I mean Guns that interested us.

Ok.  Let's pretend you have 400.00 to spend.

You want a gun that is cheap to shoot/feed.

Do you buy an AR upper in 7.62x39, a postban AK, or a Cetme?

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the AK.
I was thinking about getting a 7.62 upper.
But mags are a bitch to find sometimes and they
cost a lot. Plus others here said they have propblems
with the bolt breaking.
Get an AK and have another worry free gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
AK, hands down.

What legs said. 7.62x39 AR hicap mags are a pain to find, and dont always work reliably.

AK mags are $6 and plentiful.

My SAR1 was $279, from AIMsurplus.  Add $20 shipping, $10 transfer, 10 mags, and Kvar US made furniture.....   and I got a bad*ss looking, lightweight AK for under $500.

Or, spring for a Global Trades model and get a nicer finish.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#4]
HOLY JEEBUS!!  a 7.63x39?

I'll take the AK. I've had a 7.62x39 AR upper. Mags are a bitch to find. AK's are cheap, as are the mags, as are the accessories...etc.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a worry free gun get the AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I'll break with the crowd and say get the CETME.  I love mine.  Totally reliable, mags are about 4 bucks, great ergonomics AND it shoots .308!

The only downside is that they are incredibly loud with the brake they come with!

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have to say that you should save yourself some hassle and just get an AK.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote for the AK.

TRG - for only $50 more you could get an SSR56 from Global Trades - they are on sale this weekend for $450.  I paid $494 at the last MH show and feel I got a good value.  They are parked (nice!), have black polymer furniture and look great.  Commie slant break, Hungarian FEG receiver, Bulgie furniture, Poly-Tech (edit to finish...) ...barrel.

If you don't want to spend the extra money on a "nice looking" AK, get a SAR and have fun - they run like sewing machines!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the AK, still lotsa mags for them floating around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Even though I have both, I would recommend that you go with the AK.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey R22,
Do you encounter feeding problems w/the mags or  experience extractor failing or breaking?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#13]
My vote is for the post ban AK...have seen many reliability problems with the 7.62x39 ARs...that's not to say that all of them are not reliable, just my personal experience with numerous 7.62 ARs...

I'll go a step further and recommend the Robinson Armament VEPR K in 7.62x39...it brings the lacking ergonomics of the AK up to date...Fit and finish are are far above other AKs on the market...Next in line would be the milled receiver Arsenal USA rifles...Just my thoughts...

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey R22,
Do you encounter feeding problems w/the mags or  experience extractor failing or breaking?

I have 7 USA 7.62x39 30rd mags.  I only have feed problems with one of them.  This is with Wolf ammo.  With Yugo brass cased, I had no problems.  Some have said on this board that the mags can be tweaked to feed better.  One idea that I had was to get better mag springs for them.  After 2,500+ plus rounds fired, the extractor looks fine and I have not had any FTEs.  Some times with the Wolf ammo, It will fail to chamber a round.  Other than that, it is a blast to shoot.  It brings a bit of  attention at the range.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top