Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 12:05:26 PM EDT
I was just out coyote hunting with a friend.  Who actually happens to be in recon battalion.  He didn't know for sure, but he thought it maybe looked different.  He said the normal ring on the edges were normal, but the scratches in the center are weird.  I don't know what could have caused them.  May be some one's trying to sabotage my M4????

http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/7575/images/PhdIkMCoBQIAAAdipj8_7575_23.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
May be some one's trying to sabotage my M4????

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The photo link doesn't work. What do you mean is someone sabotaging your weap? Do you leave it outside for the neighbors to play with or something? Do you have an infestation of magic aluminum sprites in your neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely does not look right.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with Tweak but this looks bad to me.

The rim is scored with the buffer retaining pin impacts - the buffer should rest against the back of the bolt and not be bouncing off of the tiny retaining pin.

I had a Hesse lower with the pin drilled too far aft which caused this pattern on one of my rifles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure the scratches across the center are just from opening and closing the receivers.  When the rifle opens and closes the back-bottom of the bolt carrier transverses the face of the buffer.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
www.netsnapshot.com/users/7575/images/PhdIkMCoBQIAAAdipj8_7575_23.jpg

No it doesn't look normal.  I noticed that my wife's cast DPMS lower does the same thing the the lower awhile back.  Hers didn't have the scratches in the center of the buffer though.  I changed her buffer and the receiver extension (I used Rock River parts).  Her receiver extension on her fixed CAR stock had a lot of machining marks in it, it wasn't smooth like a pre-ban tube inside.  So I drilled and tapped the new tube (to make to post ban) and it seems to work fine with no marks so far.  My Bushmaster has never done either the scratches nor the ring from the carrier.  I did have an early Essential Arms receiver that was drilled to far back and chewed up buffers too.  It was replaced under warranty though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What is with all the sexually suggestive thread topics tonight ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the aft end of your bolt to make sure that there are no sharp edges.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I probably just email a pick to Bushmaster.  And about the sabatoge thing; I was just being sarcastic.....
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:37:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the scratches across the center are just from opening and closing the receivers.  When the rifle opens and closes the back-bottom of the bolt carrier transverses the face of the buffer.

I agree this is exactly what is happening.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah, that is where the center scratches are coming from.  I can see it when I lift up the back end the bolt is scraping the buffer.  This never used to happen, what's wrong?  And is the ring on the buffer normal?  It looks like the bolt is hitting it, not the retaining pin.  Thanks all
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I built a J&T kit on a dpms lower last summer. Before I even fired it it got those scratches in the center a little. That shiny goldish coating really accentuates any mark. The rear of my carrier had , well, not sharp but "pronounced" edges, and would mark it on opening or closin, i could see iut from the side every time I broke the action. I don't like the look of it, but hey, that means the carrier is ALWAYS touching the buffer, and that's a good thing.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
What type of bolt carrier are you using?

My Colt "C" cut carrier leaves a similar scoring as yours although of a smaller diameter. I think a full circle carrier shouldn't leave any scoring.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What type of bolt carrier are you using?

My Colt "C" cut carrier leaves a similar scoring as yours although of a smaller diameter. I think a full circle carrier shouldn't leave any scoring.

My Colt open carrier leaves a fraction of the marks my Bushmaster closed end carrier does.  I'm not sure why, but it does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top