Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 10:33:22 AM EDT
ok, i'm ordering a bushy M4 upper w/ the ARMS SIR setup. i was thinking about having them put a front flip/fold-down sight on there instead of the standard one.

good idea or no? any thoughts on the pros & cons of this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a standard front sight in front of an Eotech; decided to put a folding front sight on it for an open field of view through the sight window. Big mistake on my part. What's the one part of the rifle that's most likely to take a hit on a branch, door, wall, etc? The front sight. With a folding front, if it takes a hit, if you're lucky all it does is fold the sight back down (which is still a bad thing if you happen to be using the rifle to defend yourself at the time); if you're not lucky, it breaks the damned sight all the way off (which is a VERY bad thing regardless of the circumstances). A standard front sight tower has to take one HELL of a hit before it becomes damaged; you just about have to actively TRY to break it. Besides, a standard front sight also serves as sort of a "shield" to help protect any optics you may have on the weapon. I'd stick with a standard front sight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest problem with a fold down sight, is having it break when you need it.  The stock front sight has less of a chance of breaking.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't drive nails with your front sight!

Anybody every seen a forged front sight actually broken?

Anyone think that the stock front sight isn't stronger then a flip-up?

No moving parts is a good thing in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top