Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 6:00:45 AM EDT
I just finished watching "American Shooter" and they were doing a show about the benelli factory in Italy.  The showed a new Shotgun that is supposed to be used by US marines, called an M-4. In addition to the normal inertia system, it had dual pistons for gas assist.  Any Jarheads out there seen/shot one of these?  Are they available for civilians? (the shotguns that is, not Marines)
Thanks,
www.benelliusa.com/m4_super90/
edited to add link
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes a politically correct version is available to civilians in the US. I belive the price is around $1500. It's usually listed as "Limited Edition".
Of course here in Europe, we get the "politicaly UNcorrect" version (full mag cap etc)

Edit: I looked at one at one here in Norway a little over a year ago and I liked it! I've been planning to get one myself, though it has kinda been put on the backburner at the moment...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Only 2,500 "civilized" Benelli M4's will be sold. I've seen them in stores for the paltry sum of $1,500 and up.

You'e better off buying an M1 Super 90 Tactical for half that price.

What do you get for $1,500? A castrated, look alike toy. The stock isn't fully collapsible like the real thing. It only rotates around the axis. The mag tube is cut to a MAX capacity of 5 rounds and a metal extender is attached to give it the profile of a full length magazine.

The cool features that actually function are the optics rail and the round charging handle. These have similar aftermarket counterparts, but I'm hoping that they'll be available through Benelli parts dealers.

That said. The M4 appears to be built on an M1 receiver. In addition to the rail and charginf handle, the barrel, stock and mag tube are different. The bolt and sights appear the same. Perhaps it's only a matter of time before spare M4 shotgun parts migrate from the official supply chain and onto the civilian market.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Only 2,500 "civilized" Benelli M4's will be sold. I've seen them in stores for the paltry sum of $1,500 and up.

You'e better off buying an M1 Super 90 Tactical for half that price.

From a "sane" point-of-view, you're right. However as in my case, sanity has never been a serious consideration when it comes to firearms!
That said I don't think I'd buy the PC M4 which is sold in the US. I'd rather get a M1 as you said. But for me the question is whether to get a M1 or "milspec" M4....
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
i rate a shotgun in my unit and for some reason we recieved them over the summer. i didnt think a reserve air wing unit would be high on the list to recieve new weapons but we got a dozen of them in june. absolutely fan-friggin-tastic. im kind of a shotgun snob but these things fit me perfectly. the stock is comfortable and sturdy, the pistol grip has that pleasing filled-hand feeling you can normally only get from a 1911 and it balanced and pointed beautifully. actually i would love to get one of these on the sporting clay course. something tells me i could shoot it as well as my beretta or perazzi. it just feels right. in the field its durable as a military weapon should be. the collapsed stock makes it much easier when getting in and out of vehicles and aircraft and i really like that its semi-auto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top