Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 7:21:57 PM EDT
i have a red dot scope on my AR. i see ACOG's in Shotgun News and they are in the HUNDRED$ of dollars.

I ask: WHY?

What would I see when I look through one. Keep in mind, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM and I only have shot with iron sights, a Simmons scope, and my red dot simmons scope.

So I ponder,,,,,"what's with the expensive ACOG"?

Thanks in advance,

ColtC.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they're worth it either. I'll be getting an Eotech after looking through a bunch of optics.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were to be able to look through one, you'd understand.

First off, they are magnified, unlike red dots. But they come in magnification from 1.5X to 4X. On top of that, the reticles come in various configurations. So you can easily pick a scope that fits you, and suits your needs.

They also don't need batteries. And the light gathering capabilities are second to none. As a matter of fact, I can see better through my compact ACOG at night than I can with my naked eye. Not quite night vision, but still quite nice.

They are built tough, provide fast target aquisition even with magnification, don't require a second power source, and to boot use BAC which allows the shooter to use the scope with both eyes open. What's not to like?

Throw in the excellent customer service (and I've dealt with them), and they are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember that not too long ago the compact ACOGs were around six hundred dollars. Just checked recently and they had jumped to eight hundred dollars. What's up with that? I really wanted to get one but I am thinking not now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
... Supply & Demand my friends, I had problems ordering a TAO1NSN because they were being sucked up into action in Afghanistan last year.

... Similar problems I suspect with North Korea and Iraq looming in the near future,
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care how cool they are or how well they work. They're still a freakin' rip-off!

I'd spent that money on ammo and practice up with the 'ole irons.

Tony

[edited because, apparently, I can't spell "a-r-e"]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
One reason is because people are willing to pay it. This includes me , I have owned several and tho I almost gag everytime I pay big money for a first rate scope I never regret it. You can practice forever with your irons (which I support) but the fact is that you will NEVER be as good with irons as you will be with a quality scope. Are there good scope for less money? Heck Yes! But they all suffer in the fact that they are not built to take the punishment that a Mil-Spec scope will , tho most shooters will never need the strength these scope have.  Remember these scopes are built to survive years of hardcore combat use, by Infantrymen that can tear up a rock, because they did not pay for it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep they're expensive, in part, because people will pay the high prices. Trijicon also has somewhat of a corner on the combat optics market (options available) and this helps them keep the prices high.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Little do many people realize that the nighttime illumination material known as Tritium(Hyrdogen 3) used in the ACOG is a radioactive material. The ACOG is regulated under The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory commission and all disasemmbly and repairs must be made by Trijicon, Inc. If you have an ACOG that is damaged, it is highly recommended that you follow the safety procedures by Trijicon and send it in for repairs.
The ACOG is not your everyday red dot/scope, people.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Their customer service is excellent, as well. We had a couple of them kicking around the Armory, and one of our guys decided that a longer-ranged scope was more suited to his role than the EOTech I had issued him. When the scope wouldn't adjust, I sent it back to Trijicon and they had it back to me fixed and with new lenses as a bonus, in less than a week. And this on a scope that was probably 5-10 years old (I don't know when we bought it).
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Trijicon Accupoint 3x9. It's Crystal clear, I love it. I'd really like to get an Acog someday.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to think that they were way over-priced, too. After I had a chance to compare several optical sights side-by-side,however, I decided that I'm getting an ACOG. For me, it's the perfect sight. Range guesstimating/drop compensating, illuminated recticle which needs no batteries or power switch, it's small and light, built to take it in "real world" (ie: combat) use, able to aim with precision, yet also use it for close-up shooting, and seriously; you NEED to see the optical clarity, and brightness of an ACOG. I WILL have one on my carbine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top