Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 3:44:56 PM EDT
Have any of you drilled out the detents on a 870 to put a magazine extension on.  I can't f@@@ing believe Remington would do shit like this.  

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it works fine. 5mins with a dermel....or drill.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Dumb question?  Do I put a drill bit in the dremel, or use one of the attachments and reach down in there to grind them down?  THANKS

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I drilled mine out, then reached in and gently filed the nubbies off with a little sandpaper on a dowel. Did not take much sanding.

Spent at least as much time cleaning and lubing the tube. A lot of goo in there I never really noticed.

Dremel might work, but there is a chance it could get away from you and score the inside of the tube. Not sure it would actually cut clear through the dimple though.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You definitely want to drill them out and then polish it up.  When you put the barrel back on, the barrel ring that goes around the mag tube covers the two holes where the dimples were, it works out fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
like ar10 said, the dremal can get away from you, but i prefer that meathod. i drilled one of my tabs, and grinded the other with dremel. works like a charm.

and by the way, FU remington for PCing your shotguns. maybe that will make the choice easier if i ever have to buy another pump gun
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington didn't do it because they wanted to be PC, they did it to be CHEAP.

The new assembly was an Express "thing", to allow Remington to offer an 870 at a price that would be competive with Mossberg and Winchester.

In addition to the usual Express cost-lowering changes the plastic plug system is just plain cheaper to manufacture than the Wingmaster original system.

Most people don't notice the more expensive to manufacture Wingmaster magazine cap and ball detent assemblies.  These are just complicated enough to raise costs, where every cent counts.

It costs time and money to pay a worker to insert a spring and ball into the barrel ring, and stake it in place.  The cap is machined with milled detents.

It costs less to use a robot to punch in two lugs, and to cast a plastic plug.  The cap is simpler, with "formed" teeth inside.

This all costs a few cents less. That's about all it's about.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
faris is right. The detents are a cheaper way to build the shotgun. Most of these guns were meant to be hunting guns and weren't gonnea use mag extensions anyways.

I've seen express guns with factory extensions on them at the gunstore. Anyone know how they made these work?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#8]
It's an easy mod.. don't worry at all.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#9]
455SD:
It looks like the factory extension-fitted Express guns just used the older magazine tube without the dimples.  
The rest of the gun is straight Express.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
You can drill the dimple out, but then you'll have a hole in your magazine tube. I used a Craftsman socket to knock the dimple down, and then ground off the little bump with a Dremel tool. No hole, and no dimple. I attached a Tac Star mag tube extension.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
455SD:
It looks like the factory extension-fitted Express guns just used the older magazine tube without the dimples.  
The rest of the gun is straight Express.

That's what I thought, but I figured they just used the straight tubes like the ones in the police guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top