Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
if the awb is not replaced, I want to add flash hiders to my AR.

I have a bushmaster v-match upper with no muzzle break or "decoration". Am I right in assuming that all that would need to be done is to thread the end of it and screw on a phantom?

What sort of tools would one need to do this? Is this something easy enough to tackle yourself?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Most (I saw most because I'm not sure) post-ban uppers are tapered at the end to prevent threading.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the normal threading for a flash hider/silencer is alot smaller than the taper on the end of post ban barrels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The tapering at the end of post ban barrels is for cosmetic reasons only, if you have a pre-ban milspec upper you will notice the same taper behind the flash hider, ive been told it has something to do with rifle mortar lauching er something. the taper would not stop you from threading the barrel in any case.  I wouldnt try threading a barrel myself unless I had access to a good lathe and experience with it.

That said, hopefully someone who works with Ar-15 barrels, like kurt from
www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com  might be willing do the barrel threading after the ban expires.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I do it all the time for the local police.  I remove the bbl, strip it down, chuck it in the lathe and thread it 1/2x28.

I usually get $40.

McBalming
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top